Re: Pragmatic Presupposition

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 28, 2003
      > > Bobby G., I don't really see how your
      > > view of things is that different from
      > > mine, or Bruce's, or Jody's... I have
      > > noticed, however, that you seem to be
      > > avoiding use of the word comfort. Is that
      > > a trance word for you, or something?
      >
      > If you notice it then I will look for it.
      > I am not prone to trances though. And I find charisma repugnant.
      >
      > Love
      > Bobby G.
      > >
      > > Nina

      What does charisma have to do with this
      discussion, and why would it be so
      repugnant?

      Nina
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 28, 2003
        "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:

        snip

        And I find charisma repugnant.

        > > Love
        > > Bobby G.
        > > >
        > > > Nina:
        >
        > What does charisma have to do with this
        > discussion, and why would it be so
        > repugnant?
        >
        > Nina

        Hi Nina,

        Did you ever see Neon Deon Sanders play football? Boy did
        he make others uncomfortable! His charisma was undeniable,
        as was his talent, but he was probably more repugnant than any
        other other person ever to play football. So, a semi-interesting
        conclusion could be made about how charisma and skill are not
        necessarily survival skills. As a matter of probable fact, in his
        case, he was the player other teams wanted to hurt the most.

      • texasbg2000
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 28, 2003
          <murrkis@y...> wrote:

          > > > Bobby G., I don't really see how your
          > > > view of things is that different from
          > > > mine, or Bruce's, or Jody's... I have
          > > > noticed, however, that you seem to be
          > > > avoiding use of the word comfort. Is that
          > > > a trance word for you, or something?
          > >
          > > If you notice it then I will look for it.
          > > I am not prone to trances though. And I find charisma repugnant.
          > >
          > > Love
          > > Bobby G.
          > > >
          > > > Nina
          >
          > What does charisma have to do with this
          > discussion, and why would it be so
          > repugnant?
          >
          > Nina

          Hi Nina:

          Sorry to be so opaque about the charisma thing. I threw it in
          because I thought it was funny. Sort of an oxymoron.

          Charisma is repugnant or at least repellent to me because it
          influences the mind. I think ideas should be considered regardless
          of personality. Lawyers of great charisma get off criminals.
          Religious leaders just outright lie and get by with it.
          If anyone out there has ever been sucked into a deal with someone who
          knew you were doing the thing they wanted for the wrong reasons then
          you understand. Why blame the person who is seeking comfort for
          themselves by screwing you? It is like blaming an animal for wanting
          to eat you. Why not look at the personal magnetism, catalogue it as
          undesirable, and set up a signaling system in yourself to be repelled
          by the pull when you feel it? I felt that pull in this discusson.

          I heard Ram Das on tape once and was amazed at the convincing tone he
          took when speaking. He was talking about his guru's magic. F. Lee
          Bailey, the attorney, looked into a tv camera and said, "I don't
          believe Jim Baker (the Evangelist) took one thin dime", and I
          believed him for an instant. It is a form of propaganda.

          The bad thing in this is that it is misuse of the gift of
          communication. What could have been done with that gift was not.
          Thanks for asking,
          Love
          Bobby G.
        • texasbg2000
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 28, 2003
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
            >

            > snip
            >
            > And I find charisma repugnant.
            > > >
            > > > Love
            > > > Bobby G.

            > > What does charisma have to do with this
            > > discussion, and why would it be so
            > > repugnant?
            > >
            > > Nina
            >
            > Hi Nina,
            >
            > Did you ever see Neon Deon Sanders play football? Boy did
            > he make others uncomfortable! His charisma was undeniable,
            > as was his talent, but he was probably more repugnant than any
            > other other person ever to play football. So, a semi-interesting
            > conclusion could be made about how charisma and skill are not
            > necessarily survival skills. As a matter of probable fact, in his
            > case, he was the player other teams wanted to hurt the most.
            >
            > Peace and blessings,
            > Bob

            I got a nice chuckle from you insight here Bob. Congrats on the win
            last night.

            Love
            Bobby G.
          • Sharlene
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 28, 2003
              > Lawyers of great charisma get off criminals.

              Why were they on them?
            • texasbg2000
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 28, 2003
                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Sharlene
                <sharlene@l...> wrote:

                > > Lawyers of great charisma get off criminals.
                >
                > Why were they on them?

                Heh heh, what a smart ass you are. You could have mentioned getting
                them off also.
                Love
                Bobby G.
              • Nina
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 29, 2003
                  > snip
                  >
                  > And I find charisma repugnant.
                  > > >
                  > > > Love
                  > > > Bobby G.

                  > > What does charisma have to do with this
                  > > discussion, and why would it be so
                  > > repugnant?
                  > >
                  > > Nina

                  > Hi Nina,
                  >
                  > Did you ever see Neon Deon Sanders play football? Boy did
                  > he make others uncomfortable! His charisma was undeniable,
                  > as was his talent, but he was probably more repugnant than any
                  > other other person ever to play football. So, a semi-interesting
                  > conclusion could be made about how charisma and skill are not
                  > necessarily survival skills. As a matter of probable fact, in his
                  > case, he was the player other teams wanted to hurt the most.
                  >
                  > Peace and blessings,
                  > Bob

                  Hmm, I don't know much about football, though I can
                  recognize the shape of a footballball (hehe).

                  Anyway, it seems that a different view may be taken:

                  That the only thing that counts, as regards Neon Deon
                  Sanders and his manifestation of 'survival skills' on
                  the football field, is that NDS (ohmygod - this must
                  be a sign!) use his considerable repulsion, talent and
                  skill to bring glory, and thus comfort and survival,
                  to his own team.

                  It doesn't matter one ounce that the other team finds
                  him repulsive, or that fans find him repulsive,
                  or that the other teams might want to hurt him -
                  what matters is 'what is happening':

                  "Are we winning?"

                  Football, and other sports, are actually a bit more
                  frank about this underlying motivation than other
                  'arts'.

                  Nina

                  P.S. Yea, it didn't go over my head that NDS was
                  spoken about in past-tense; I chose to bring
                  the example into the present-tense.
                • Nina
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 29, 2003
                    > Charisma is repugnant or at least repellent to me because it
                    > influences the mind. I think ideas should be considered regardless
                    > of personality. Lawyers of great charisma get off criminals.
                    > Religious leaders just outright lie and get by with it.
                    > If anyone out there has ever been sucked into a deal
                    > with someone who knew you were doing the thing they wanted
                    > for the wrong reasons then you understand. Why blame the person
                    > who is seeking comfort for themselves by screwing you? It is
                    > like blaming an animal for wanting to eat you. Why not look
                    > at the personal magnetism, catalogue it as undesirable, and
                    > set up a signaling system in yourself to be repelled
                    > by the pull when you feel it? I felt that pull in this discusson.
                    >
                    > I heard Ram Das on tape once and was amazed at the
                    > convincing tone he took when speaking. He was talking about
                    > his guru's magic. F. Lee Bailey, the attorney, looked into a
                    > tv camera and said, "I don't believe Jim Baker (the Evangelist)
                    > took one thin dime", and I believed him for an instant.
                    > It is a form of propaganda.
                    >
                    > The bad thing in this is that it is misuse of the gift of
                    > communication. What could have been done with that gift was not.
                    > Thanks for asking,
                    > Love
                    > Bobby G.

                    Hmm, well, just to be sure I understood what charisma
                    means, I looked it up. I think it is interesting to note
                    that there is a definition (personal attractiveness that
                    enables you to influence others), but it is the 'related
                    terms' at the bottom of the page that seem to indicate
                    the flavorings this word, charisma, can carry.
                    Thus, the repulsion.

                    http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/charisma

                    Have you ever noticed that what you resist persists,
                    and even grows in power?

                    Looking at the trail of this conversation, I see that
                    when Bobby G. steps forward to disprove the theories
                    around the will to comfort, that his opponents (jus'
                    lahk in foobahl, man!) step forward out of the cyber
                    abyss to prove and reprove. The more Bobby G. attempts
                    to disprove, the more the opponents prove and reprove.
                    That's a really interesting foundational piece to
                    the role charisma might play in 'convincing'...
                    that when one recognizes the appearance of charisma
                    in another, that it is only one's own charisma reflected...
                    like the moon reflecting the light of the sun...

                    Repulsion is a flavoring, charisma is 'the way things are'.

                    Charisma, lol, is another tool to comfort. Which, btw,
                    you seem to be avoiding like a locust plague. :)

                    Ok, I'm mainly just pulling your chain (no, it isn't
                    repulsive to me), so I'll step down now and let you
                    'take it away!'

                    big ole grin,
                    Nina
                  • texasbg2000
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 29, 2003
                      <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                      > > Charisma is repugnant or at least repellent to me because it
                      > > influences the mind. I think ideas should be considered
                      regardless
                      > > of personality. Lawyers of great charisma get off criminals.
                      > > Religious leaders just outright lie and get by with it.
                      > > If anyone out there has ever been sucked into a deal
                      > > with someone who knew you were doing the thing they wanted
                      > > for the wrong reasons then you understand. Why blame the person
                      > > who is seeking comfort for themselves by screwing you? It is
                      > > like blaming an animal for wanting to eat you. Why not look
                      > > at the personal magnetism, catalogue it as undesirable, and
                      > > set up a signaling system in yourself to be repelled
                      > > by the pull when you feel it? I felt that pull in this discusson.
                      > >
                      > > I heard Ram Das on tape once and was amazed at the
                      > > convincing tone he took when speaking. He was talking about
                      > > his guru's magic. F. Lee Bailey, the attorney, looked into a
                      > > tv camera and said, "I don't believe Jim Baker (the Evangelist)
                      > > took one thin dime", and I believed him for an instant.
                      > > It is a form of propaganda.
                      > >
                      > > The bad thing in this is that it is misuse of the gift of
                      > > communication. What could have been done with that gift was not.
                      > > Thanks for asking,
                      > > Love
                      > > Bobby G.
                      >
                      > Hmm, well, just to be sure I understood what charisma
                      > means, I looked it up. I think it is interesting to note
                      > that there is a definition (personal attractiveness that
                      > enables you to influence others), but it is the 'related
                      > terms' at the bottom of the page that seem to indicate
                      > the flavorings this word, charisma, can carry.
                      > Thus, the repulsion.
                      >
                      > http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/charisma

                      Nina:
                      That is quite a list of related terms. They remind me of
                      the archaic meaning of the word "glamour".

                      > Have you ever noticed that what you resist persists,
                      > and even grows in power?

                      Yes.

                      > Looking at the trail of this conversation, I see that
                      > when Bobby G. steps forward to disprove the theories
                      > around the will to comfort, that his opponents (jus'
                      > lahk in foobahl, man!) step forward out of the cyber
                      > abyss to prove and reprove. The more Bobby G. attempts
                      > to disprove, the more the opponents prove and reprove.

                      I take your point here, Nina.

                      > That's a really interesting foundational piece to
                      > the role charisma might play in 'convincing'...
                      > that when one recognizes the appearance of charisma
                      > in another, that it is only one's own charisma reflected...
                      > like the moon reflecting the light of the sun...

                      That follows nicely from what you say above.

                      > Repulsion is a flavoring, charisma is 'the way things are'.

                      I think it is useful to
                      understanding to be repulsed by charisma. It allows one
                      to look behind the cloak and not led around by the nose.

                      > Charisma, lol, is another tool to comfort. Which, btw,
                      > you seem to be avoiding like a locust plague. :)

                      I cannot see how it is a tool for the person
                      being influenced if they are misled. The anticipated
                      comfort may not be experienced
                      so the comfort of believing it will,
                      is canceled by the disappointment.

                      I avoid it in myself as well as others. I
                      do not like to influence people.

                      And I don't like to influence myself either, whatever that means.
                      Maybe it is overthinking an issue.

                      > Ok, I'm mainly just pulling your chain (no, it isn't
                      > repulsive to me), so I'll step down now and let you
                      > 'take it away!'

                      Well I always like talking to you. I guess because you
                      like to think laterally and keep a good humor.

                      Charisma is a burr under my saddle. TV ads that command me
                      to do as I am told in a tone intended to stimulate cause me to
                      disrespect the participants.

                      The tendency to be
                      sucked in by false gurus can be canceled if we recognize that
                      tendency in ourselves and develop the sense of discomfort when
                      we feel charisma or undue persuasiveness.

                      Love,
                      Bobby G.

                      > big ole grin,
                      > Nina
                    • Nina
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 31, 2003
                        <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
                        > <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                        > > > Charisma is repugnant or at least repellent to me because it
                        > > > influences the mind. I think ideas should be considered
                        > regardless
                        > > > of personality. Lawyers of great charisma get off criminals.
                        > > > Religious leaders just outright lie and get by with it.
                        > > > If anyone out there has ever been sucked into a deal
                        > > > with someone who knew you were doing the thing they wanted
                        > > > for the wrong reasons then you understand. Why blame the person
                        > > > who is seeking comfort for themselves by screwing you? It is
                        > > > like blaming an animal for wanting to eat you. Why not look
                        > > > at the personal magnetism, catalogue it as undesirable, and
                        > > > set up a signaling system in yourself to be repelled
                        > > > by the pull when you feel it? I felt that pull in this
                        discusson.

                        > > > I heard Ram Das on tape once and was amazed at the
                        > > > convincing tone he took when speaking. He was talking about
                        > > > his guru's magic. F. Lee Bailey, the attorney, looked into a
                        > > > tv camera and said, "I don't believe Jim Baker (the Evangelist)
                        > > > took one thin dime", and I believed him for an instant.
                        > > > It is a form of propaganda.
                        > > >
                        > > > The bad thing in this is that it is misuse of the gift of
                        > > > communication. What could have been done with that gift was not.
                        > > > Thanks for asking,
                        > > > Love
                        > > > Bobby G.
                        > >
                        > > Hmm, well, just to be sure I understood what charisma
                        > > means, I looked it up. I think it is interesting to note
                        > > that there is a definition (personal attractiveness that
                        > > enables you to influence others), but it is the 'related
                        > > terms' at the bottom of the page that seem to indicate
                        > > the flavorings this word, charisma, can carry.
                        > > Thus, the repulsion.
                        > >
                        > > http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/charisma
                        >
                        > Nina:
                        > That is quite a list of related terms. They remind me of
                        > the archaic meaning of the word "glamour".

                        Huh, yes, they do! Knowing the history of that word
                        really lends another layer to the way 'glamour' is
                        presented today... particularly 'false glamour' or
                        'camp glamour'... in instances where glamour is
                        consciously taken on as a mask.

                        It is interesting how even when one doesn't intellectually
                        or consciously make those connections to archaic meanings,
                        those meanings still have a resonance. Astounding!

                        What fun, thanks, Bobby!

                        > > Have you ever noticed that what you resist persists,
                        > > and even grows in power?
                        >
                        > Yes.
                        >

                        > > Looking at the trail of this conversation, I see that
                        > > when Bobby G. steps forward to disprove the theories
                        > > around the will to comfort, that his opponents (jus'
                        > > lahk in foobahl, man!) step forward out of the cyber
                        > > abyss to prove and reprove. The more Bobby G. attempts
                        > > to disprove, the more the opponents prove and reprove.
                        >
                        > I take your point here, Nina.
                        >
                        > > That's a really interesting foundational piece to
                        > > the role charisma might play in 'convincing'...
                        > > that when one recognizes the appearance of charisma
                        > > in another, that it is only one's own charisma reflected...
                        > > like the moon reflecting the light of the sun...
                        >
                        > That follows nicely from what you say above.
                        >

                        > > Repulsion is a flavoring, charisma is 'the way things are'.
                        >
                        > I think it is useful to understanding to be
                        > repulsed by charisma. It allows one to look
                        > behind the cloak and not led around by the nose.

                        Oh yes, agreed about looking behind the cloak and
                        not being led around by the nose. I guess I wouldn't
                        use the word repulsed; perhaps personally I would use
                        the word 'recognition'. Actually, charisma and its
                        relative, glamour, are wonderfully playful embodiments;
                        I can't find anything inherently wrong with those
                        embodiments. The trick is not avoiding them, but
                        understanding them as 'play'...

                        > > Charisma, lol, is another tool to comfort. Which, btw,
                        > > you seem to be avoiding like a locust plague. :)
                        >
                        > I cannot see how it is a tool for the person
                        > being influenced if they are misled. The anticipated
                        > comfort may not be experienced
                        > so the comfort of believing it will,
                        > is canceled by the disappointment.
                        >
                        > I avoid it in myself as well as others. I
                        > do not like to influence people.
                        >
                        > And I don't like to influence myself either, whatever that means.
                        > Maybe it is overthinking an issue.

                        The key to 'being misled' is that one doesn't
                        realize one is being misled. In that, there can
                        be the comfort of ignorance. Also, a person can be
                        blinded by their desire for comfort, such that
                        one is more easily misled.

                        At any rate, comfort may be canceled by the
                        realization that one has been misled, but the
                        desire for comfort is not canceled by such a
                        realization.

                        Here is another way of thinking about charisma
                        and glamour: shamanism. Essentially, shamanism
                        is a manner of connecting oneself or another
                        to an overlooked or under-realized aspect. It is
                        influence, but not necessarily of a political
                        sort. (I sense you are thinking of a political
                        influence...)

                        Also, I think of your paintings and where they
                        take the person who looks upon them... that is
                        a sort of influence, if only by sharing out your
                        perspective and making it available for another
                        to 'take on'. Passive or active, it is influence.

                        In fluence... In fluid ence... essence of fluid...
                        that's an interesting word... flowing like water.
                        Can it be contained? By what means? And to what
                        degree? Or, does it flow freely, like water
                        through my fingers? Or may I drink it in, like
                        water from a cup?

                        Or, is it more like the air we breath, and the
                        fluidity of our breaths, moving in and out, not
                        just within my body, but yours... we all breath
                        the same air, and so, we are all arising from
                        that same influence... how can I say I do not
                        like to influence others? I am part and parcel
                        to that influence...

                        > > Ok, I'm mainly just pulling your chain (no, it isn't
                        > > repulsive to me), so I'll step down now and let you
                        > > 'take it away!'
                        >
                        > Well I always like talking to you. I guess because you
                        > like to think laterally and keep a good humor.
                        >
                        > Charisma is a burr under my saddle. TV ads that command me
                        > to do as I am told in a tone intended to stimulate cause me to
                        > disrespect the participants.

                        I see what you're saying. Still, in the broader view,
                        charisma is no biggy...

                        > The tendency to be sucked in by false gurus
                        > can be canceled if we recognize that
                        > tendency in ourselves and develop the
                        > sense of discomfort when we feel
                        > charisma or undue persuasiveness.

                        Hmm... I can see that (the tendency towards)
                        'excessive application of charisma or undue will
                        towards persuasiveness' might rebound into
                        feelings of discomfort or repulsion, but
                        I'm not following that one should develop
                        the sense of discomfort one feels in
                        recognizing that tendency. Quite the opposite -
                        I say recognize away, but develop a broader
                        sense of how this figures into the big picture,
                        rather than condemning it, and reinforcing that
                        condemnation with feelings of discomfort.
                        Ah, am I tending towards comfort? Lol...

                        What is all this worry about getting sucked
                        in by false gurus? ;) I say, let's apply one
                        of Frankl's logotherapy techniques:

                        What's the worst that could possibly happen
                        by getting sucked in by a false guru? Flesh
                        that out fully, put yourself in it (eek,
                        shamanic!), and then ask the question:

                        How bad can this be?