Re: Well, I'm back to Comfort Over Survival

  • jodyrrr
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 27, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
      > > > Well, she chose having her baby
      > > > survive as being what made her most
      > > > comfortable."
      > >
      > > Precisely.
      > >
      > > I boldly predict that any behavior that is described to me
      > > can be shown to be comfort seeking, just as your niece has
      > > done.
      > >
      > > The jury's still out on whether knowing this can make a
      > > difference in a life.
      > >
      > > --jody.
      >
      > Hmm, how about this:
      >
      > Now that it has been revealed,
      > that a major, if not the major,
      > drive is towards comfort,
      > we can all stop being prudish
      > and controlling of our drives
      > towards comfort, and compassionately
      > watch those drives reel out...
      >
      > Nina

      Absolutely. This is the essence of tantra.

      Do what thou wilt, as long as nobody is getting
      hurt. The mind is an experiment to the tantrika.
      Experiences are undergone, and the changes that
      result are noted.

      A maxim of transpersonal psychology is, "What you
      resist, persists." If there are yearnings and inclinations,
      they must be allowed for. Their sources are karmic.

      This doesn't mean kill your wife when she pisses you
      off, but it does mean explore what in you is willing to
      kill (if the inclination exists.) This is an extreme
      example, the point being that any inclination that
      is persistent must be dealt with. It cannot be ignored
      or repressed.

      This is the essence of the spiritual path in my view.
      Meditation brings a more clarified perspective, but
      we've still got who we are (as individuals) to work with.

      Tantra starts with that 'who' as the medium and seeks
      to transform and clarify that 'who' by various means
      conventional and transgressive, with the result being
      the deconstruction of the essential significances which
      kept us as individuals, thereby appearing to allow for
      greater awakening.

      --jody.