survival instinct/drive for comfort

  • freyjartist@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2003

      I still see 'comfort' and 'surviving better'
      as basically the same thing....

      because, even in the case of suicide,
      the driving thought would probably be,
      "I'll be better off without this pain."

      Once "better" is involved it's
      no longer "survival" instinct --
      it's the drive for comfort!  :-)>>

      F:  OK...howuhvah -- one can't experience
      comfortable/uncomfortable unless they are
      'surviving', or think there is
      a possibility of surviving...
      either as a body or some kind of
      entity.
      So, the drive for comfort is
      one and the same as the drive to
      survive better.  Synonyms.
      To me, both seem to be subsets
      of the survival instinct.

    • jodyrrr
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 27, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, freyjartist@a... wrote:

        > > I still see 'comfort' and 'surviving better'
        > > as basically the same thing....
        > >
        > > because, even in the case of suicide,
        > > the driving thought would probably be,
        > > "I'll be better off without this pain."
        > >

        > Once "better" is involved it's
        > no longer "survival" instinct --
        > it's the drive for comfort!  :-)>>
        >

        > F: OK...howuhvah -- one can't experience
        > comfortable/uncomfortable unless they are
        > 'surviving', or think there is
        > a possibility of surviving...
        > either as a body or some kind of
        > entity.
        > So, the drive for comfort is
        > one and the same as the drive to
        > survive better. Synonyms.
        > To me, both seem to be subsets
        > of the survival instinct.

        Comfort is the icing on the survival cake.

        One must first survive to then flourish.

        If one has not met his/her survival needs,
        one would find much comfort in the basics.
        When one has the basics, one can then
        optimize.

        Call it survival, or call it comfort. It's the
        same thing.
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 27, 2003
          wrote:

          > > > I still see 'comfort' and 'surviving better'
          > > > as basically the same thing....
          > > >
          > > > because, even in the case of suicide,
          > > > the driving thought would probably be,
          > > > "I'll be better off without this pain."
          > > >

          > > Once "better" is involved it's
          > > no longer "survival" instinct --
          > > it's the drive for comfort! :-)>>
          > >

          > > F: OK...howuhvah -- one can't experience
          > > comfortable/uncomfortable unless they are
          > > 'surviving', or think there is
          > > a possibility of surviving...
          > > either as a body or some kind of
          > > entity.
          > > So, the drive for comfort is
          > > one and the same as the drive to
          > > survive better. Synonyms.
          > > To me, both seem to be subsets
          > > of the survival instinct.
          >
          > Comfort is the icing on the survival cake.
          >
          > One must first survive to then flourish.
          >
          > If one has not met his/her survival needs,
          > one would find much comfort in the basics.
          > When one has the basics, one can then
          > optimize.
          >
          > Call it survival, or call it comfort. It's the
          > same thing.

          Well, seeing us all having a little bit of trouble
          being absolutely certain about Survival vs. Comfort,
          let's look at Nasrudin to see if he can clarify anything...

          'Nasrudin of what can we be certain?'
          'In my opinion we can be sure of Uncertainty and certain of Nothing'
          'But Nasrudin how shall we ever understand . . . ?'
          'I have No Idea . . . and that's for sure!'
        • carolina112900
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 28, 2003
            wrote:

            > > > I still see 'comfort' and 'surviving better'
            > > > as basically the same thing....
            > > >
            > > > because, even in the case of suicide,
            > > > the driving thought would probably be,
            > > > "I'll be better off without this pain."
            > > >

            > > Once "better" is involved it's
            > > no longer "survival" instinct --
            > > it's the drive for comfort!  :-)>>
            > >

            > > F: OK...howuhvah -- one can't experience
            > > comfortable/uncomfortable unless they are
            > > 'surviving', or think there is
            > > a possibility of surviving...
            > > either as a body or some kind of
            > > entity.
            > > So, the drive for comfort is
            > > one and the same as the drive to
            > > survive better. Synonyms.
            > > To me, both seem to be subsets
            > > of the survival instinct.
            >
            > Comfort is the icing on the survival cake.
            >
            > One must first survive to then flourish.
            >
            > If one has not met his/her survival needs,
            > one would find much comfort in the basics.
            > When one has the basics, one can then
            > optimize.
            >
            > Call it survival, or call it comfort. It's the
            > same thing.

            And then there's 'security'

            comfort: To soothe, console.
            A state of ease and satisfaction
            with bodily wants.
            Contented and at ease.
            Adequate and sufficient.

            security: Freedom from danger or risk; safety.
            Freedom from care, anxiety or doubt.
            Something that protects, shelters or makes safe.
            Precautions taken against crime, sabotage,
            escape or attack.

            Freyja