comfort seeking - jody

  • freyjartist@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2003
      <<I boldly predict that any behavior that is described to me
      can be shown to be comfort seeking, just as your niece has
      done.>>

      F:  It's as good an investigation as any.

      <<The jury's still out on whether knowing this can make a
      difference in a life.>>

      F:  As much difference as any other conceptualizations
      /hooplas.

      Is your investigation of 'comfort seeking'
      driven by the possibility of it making a difference in a life?  What difference?

      --jody.

    • jodyrrr
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, freyjartist@a... wrote:
        > <<I boldly predict that any behavior that is described to me
        > can be shown to be comfort seeking, just as your niece has
        > done.>>
        >
        > F: It's as good an investigation as any.
        >
        > <<The jury's still out on whether knowing this can make a
        > difference in a life.>>
        >

        > F: As much difference as any other conceptualizations
        > /hooplas.

        True. Hooplas are hooplas. However, some hooplas are
        more helpful, to certain individuals, than others. I'd like
        to construct a hoopla that describes my process in terms of
        the fundamentals of personality development.

        > Is your investigation of 'comfort seeking'
        > driven by the possibility of it making a difference in a life? What
        > difference?

        I've been asked to contribute a chapter to a book about tantra.
        I want to come up with an alternative framework which helps
        describe what I believe tantra to be, a system of sorts which
        describes what happens in the psychological realms when one
        decides to energetically transgress spiritual traditions.

        I know the illusion of personal identity is supported in the brain
        by the constellation of significances. These make up the personality
        and its identity structures. The drive toward comfort is the underlying
        construction crew of these significances. So, if I have formed a
        significance structure because my grandpa molested me (hypothetical
        case here only folks), it was the impact to my comfort that formed
        the foundation of that complex.

        At any rate, that's what I'm trying to put together at the moment.

        --jody.
      • carolina112900
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 28, 2003
          wrote:
          > > <<I boldly predict that any behavior that is described to me
          > > can be shown to be comfort seeking, just as your niece has
          > > done.>>
          > >
          > > F: It's as good an investigation as any.
          > >
          > > <<The jury's still out on whether knowing this can make a
          > > difference in a life.>>
          > >

          > > F: As much difference as any other conceptualizations
          > > /hooplas.
          >
          > True. Hooplas are hooplas. However, some hooplas are
          > more helpful, to certain individuals, than others.>>

          F: Sure. Hooplas to eradicate, correct or modify
          other hooplas. Something like.....using a thorn to
          remove another thorn.

          I'd like
          > to construct a hoopla that describes my process in terms of
          > the fundamentals of personality development.

          F: Fundamentals?....like a Maslow hierarchy?

          > > Is your investigation of 'comfort seeking'
          > > driven by the possibility of it making a difference in a life?
          What
          > > difference?
          >
          > I've been asked to contribute a chapter to a book about tantra.
          > I want to come up with an alternative framework which helps
          > describe what I believe tantra to be, a system of sorts which
          > describes what happens in the psychological realms when one
          > decides to energetically transgress spiritual traditions.

          F: Sounds interesting. I'll be curious to
          know how it pans out.

          > I know the illusion of personal identity is supported in the brain
          > by the constellation of significances. These make up the personality
          > and its identity structures. The drive toward comfort is the
          underlying
          > construction crew of these significances.

          F: This constellation of significances all bound
          up with conditioning. When there is non-identification,
          a breaking free of these conditionings can occur.

          So, if I have formed a
          > significance structure because my grandpa molested me (hypothetical
          > case here only folks), it was the impact to my comfort that formed
          > the foundation of that complex.

          F: Maybe that could also be turned around and looked at:
          It was the foundation
          of that complex (identifying with being molested by grandpa)
          that formed my idea of comfort. If I never knew that
          being molested by grandpa was a threat to my comfort,
          then I wouldn't identify with it and make a complex
          out of it.

          > At any rate, that's what I'm trying to put together at the moment.

          F: Maybe a theory of how conditioning and identification
          informs the whole idea of comfort.