Well, I'm back to Comfort Over Survival

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 2003
      Kids these days! Too smart for their own good! Makes me uncomfortable!:-)

      So I'm at dinner with my sister and her family and telling them about
      Jodyji's "Life's most basic drive is to seek comfort" concept, and my
      putting forth the "survival of the species being the most basic drive
      of all" scenario of a mother jumping in the path of an oncoming truck
      to push her child out of harms way, even at the cost to her of her own
      life (and thus her comfort), when my 17 year old niece says..."Well,
      she chose having her baby survive as being what made her most
      comfortable."
    • Onniko
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 26, 2003
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Kids these days! Too smart for their own good! Makes me
        uncomfortable!:-)

        > So I'm at dinner with my sister and her family and telling them
        about
        > Jodyji's "Life's most basic drive is to seek comfort" concept, and
        my
        > putting forth the "survival of the species being the most basic
        drive
        > of all" scenario of a mother jumping in the path of an oncoming
        truck
        > to push her child out of harms way, even at the cost to her of her
        own
        > life (and thus her comfort), when my 17 year old niece
        says..."Well,
        > she chose having her baby survive as being what made her most
        > comfortable."

        *v* Haha! That's exactly what I thought when I read that. It would
        be so much more painful to lose the child than to have all her bones
        broken and her guts scattered about the pavement!
      • jodyrrr
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 26, 2003
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Kids these days! Too smart for their own good! Makes me uncomfortable!:-)
          >
          > So I'm at dinner with my sister and her family and telling them about
          > Jodyji's "Life's most basic drive is to seek comfort" concept, and my
          > putting forth the "survival of the species being the most basic drive
          > of all" scenario of a mother jumping in the path of an oncoming truck
          > to push her child out of harms way, even at the cost to her of her own
          > life (and thus her comfort), when my 17 year old niece says..."Well,
          > she chose having her baby survive as being what made her most
          > comfortable."

          Precisely.

          I boldly predict that any behavior that is described to me
          can be shown to be comfort seeking, just as your niece has
          done.

          The jury's still out on whether knowing this can make a
          difference in a life.

          --jody.
        • Nina
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 27, 2003
            > > Well, she chose having her baby
            > > survive as being what made her most
            > > comfortable."
            >
            > Precisely.
            >
            > I boldly predict that any behavior that is described to me
            > can be shown to be comfort seeking, just as your niece has
            > done.
            >
            > The jury's still out on whether knowing this can make a
            > difference in a life.
            >
            > --jody.

            Hmm, how about this:

            Now that it has been revealed,
            that a major, if not the major,
            drive is towards comfort,
            we can all stop being prudish
            and controlling of our drives
            towards comfort, and compassionately
            watch those drives reel out...

            Nina
          • jodyrrr
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 27, 2003
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
              > > > Well, she chose having her baby
              > > > survive as being what made her most
              > > > comfortable."
              > >
              > > Precisely.
              > >
              > > I boldly predict that any behavior that is described to me
              > > can be shown to be comfort seeking, just as your niece has
              > > done.
              > >
              > > The jury's still out on whether knowing this can make a
              > > difference in a life.
              > >
              > > --jody.
              >
              > Hmm, how about this:
              >
              > Now that it has been revealed,
              > that a major, if not the major,
              > drive is towards comfort,
              > we can all stop being prudish
              > and controlling of our drives
              > towards comfort, and compassionately
              > watch those drives reel out...
              >
              > Nina

              Absolutely. This is the essence of tantra.

              Do what thou wilt, as long as nobody is getting
              hurt. The mind is an experiment to the tantrika.
              Experiences are undergone, and the changes that
              result are noted.

              A maxim of transpersonal psychology is, "What you
              resist, persists." If there are yearnings and inclinations,
              they must be allowed for. Their sources are karmic.

              This doesn't mean kill your wife when she pisses you
              off, but it does mean explore what in you is willing to
              kill (if the inclination exists.) This is an extreme
              example, the point being that any inclination that
              is persistent must be dealt with. It cannot be ignored
              or repressed.

              This is the essence of the spiritual path in my view.
              Meditation brings a more clarified perspective, but
              we've still got who we are (as individuals) to work with.

              Tantra starts with that 'who' as the medium and seeks
              to transform and clarify that 'who' by various means
              conventional and transgressive, with the result being
              the deconstruction of the essential significances which
              kept us as individuals, thereby appearing to allow for
              greater awakening.

              --jody.