easy pose

  • franksidebottom_uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2002
      Just thought I'd bug u all again!
      The easy pose is recommended for meditation to help slow the
      metabolism and still the mind.But for me I find it troublesome.It is
      uncomfortable and makes my back bent.I know its important to have a
      straight back.Is this a pose which you body adjusts to?Will I,over
      time be able to sit comfortably and with a straight back?
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2002
        Graham "franksidebottom_uk" <graham_logan@h...> wrote:

        > Just thought I'd bug u all again!
        > The easy pose is recommended for meditation to help slow the
        > metabolism and still the mind.But for me I find it troublesome.It
        is
        > uncomfortable and makes my back bent.I know its important to have a
        > straight back.Is this a pose which you body adjusts to?Will I,over
        > time be able to sit comfortably and with a straight back?

        Dear Graham -- although this easy posture is suggested for stilling
        the mind and body for meditation, if it proves distracting for you,
        then it's not the right one. However, as with all yogic postures,
        the
        body naturally adjusts over time, as the muscles and joints relax and
        release. Don't worry so much right now about the back being slightly
        bent -- but try to be more aware when first assuming this posture,
        that the head is straightly aligned with the top of the spine, the
        neck and shoulders are relaxed, and the chin is ever-so-slightly
        downward, so the head is just "floating" above the neck. Then the
        back will automatically straighten and you can forget your body &
        begin to meditate. Be patient and kind to your body and it will
        reciprocate in time. Shanti Om. Bette Rose
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2002
          Hi - Thanks to Sri Betteji for her input on this question by Graham.
          She is the author of all of the Hatha Highlights articles in The
          Inner Traveler, and has been a yoga teacher for more than 20 years.
          Here is one of her columns that first appeared in the first Sample
          Issue of The Inner Traveler. It is titled "Sitting".

          SITTING
          By Bette Rose

          Learning to sit is essential to the practice of all types of yoga. It
          is often the first posture learned by beginners and is one of the
          most important postures in Hatha Yoga for centering, relaxing,
          meditation, and emptying. Whether sitting in easy (cross-legged),
          perfect (1/2 lotus), or full lotus, the natural, upright position of
          the spine allows for easy flow of prana up and down and around each
          and every vertebrae. It is easy to track that pranic energy when we
          assume a perfect posture.

          Hatha Yoga is meditation in motion-even though our body is seemingly
          still while sitting, we are alternately filling and emptying our
          lungs, abdomen, spinal column, and all parts of the body, with
          life-affirming energy. So there is always movement within, if not
          without. While sitting, first relax all of the muscles, bones,and
          joints in your body. Then assume whatever position comes comfortably
          to you. Remember that by crossing the one leg over the other, either
          at the ankles, knees, or thighs, you are creating a mudra, or seal,
          of the pranic energy within the body. This is the God energy-the
          higher gift. Permit the whole body to relax, particularly the
          shoulders-be sure they are down and away from the ears. Let the spine
          be straight - visualize a column of light beginning at the base of
          the spine up to the crown of the head, along each of the seven
          chakras. Allow the head to float gently on top of the spine-the eyes
          not seeing, the ears not hearing, the mouth not speaking. Notice the
          position of the tongue - be sure it isn't clinging to the roof of the
          mouth (the moon or negative energy dwells there). Rather allow it to
          relax. Concentrate on the breath, keeping it gentle and soft, letting
          in no outside sound or thought. Witness third-eye illuminations.
          Think of sitting asanas as a bridge to meditation. See the path ahead
          filled with light and bliss-know that as you increase your comfort
          level and flexiblity, you can then let your physical body go, and at
          the end of the bridge, find peace and true happiness. Focus on the
          third eye-the area between the eyebrows-it is the seat of the mind
          and is the place where the divine light dwells. We, as human beings,
          are the carriers of that divine light here on earth. Realize that it
          is everywhere -outside us, within us. Let that light shine through
          your eyes, speak through your words, be felt through all of your
          actions. Send it out into the universe. Send it to those who you
          love-Send it to those who need love-Send it to all beings near, far,
          beyond.

          Spread peace through yoga and meditation.
          Shanti, Shanti, OM

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 15, 2002
            So is it bad to put your toungue against the roof of your mouth in
            meditation?