Meditation Journals

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2002
      I just went back and reread many of the meditation journal entries
      that Tony and Eve have shared, and I am amazed at how informative
      they have been. We have been blessed with many posts that share
      techniques, concepts, and great insights, but I think that the
      journals speak to experiences that all meditators can relate to in a
      special way that lets us all know that we're not the only ones going
      through the changes that come with meditation. Thanks to both of you,
      and I hope that you will continue, and that some other inner travelers
      will come forward with their own adventures.
    • Tony
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2002
        Thanks Bob,

        Can I add a few points:

        Keeping a journal helps to you to sustain a regular meditation practice.
        The act of writing stimulates your mind to a deeper understanding of what
        you are writing - many new insights arise.
        Posting a journal here develops a deeper connection between us as members of
        this group - When I read Eve's journals I feel a deepening connection on a
        spiritual level.
        When you read someone's journal entry, it can trigger an insight during your
        own meditation.

        Some suggestions:

        Use any format you wish.
        Include anything of interest to you.
        Feel free to ask questions during your entry.
        Feel free to ask questions on other entries.
        Feel free to comment on any entry.
        Try starting in a very simple way.

        ...Tony

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
          Question: What is the influence on meditation of keeping and
          sharing a meditation journal?

          What a good question! A long time ago, I kept journals and they did do something and it was a good thing they did but I can't place exactly what it was. Maybe, it is somehow related to the way the athlete is said to improve what he does just by going over it in his mind.

          -

          Thank you for your comment.
          <snip>

          Overall my sense is that, in the long run, it probably does not matter since you will still get to where you are going eventually.

          Where is it one is  going?

          What I might do is pay less attention to the observing role and let the ship sail more freely.

          Is the ship ever not sailing freely?

          Do you Yahoo!?