Re: [Meditation Society of America] "my" truth and "your" truth

  • Onniko
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 14, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Eglaelin
      <eglaelin@y...> wrote:
      > Greetings and Felicitations,
      >
      > --- carolina112900 <freyjartist@a...> wrote:
      > > My Friend said:
      > >
      > > There is never an issue
      > > with "my" truth or
      > > "your" truth.....
      > > until it is assumed that
      > > "my" truth is THE truth
      > > for all.
      > >
      > > ~freyja
      >
      > The way I see it there are three ways to look at
      > Truth. Active, Passive and Possessive. The person
      > who uses the Active method is always searching
      > for Truth. He, or she, never assumes they have
      > the truth. The person who uses the Passive method
      > doesn't search at all. He, or she, assumes that
      > they can't know truth. The person who uses the
      > Possessive method Knows they have the truth. He,
      > or she, assumes that there is nothing other than
      > their truth.
      > Just my view on the matter.
      >
      > =====
      > Peace On Your Path,
      > Eglaelin

      *v* That sounds true to me, Eglaelin.
      Do you think it might be that the culture of non-thinking
      teaches that the first way of looking at truth that you mention
      is something that must be resolved to become the third way you
      mentioned?
      It would seem that the act of thinking itself is more natural to
      the first way. The third way would appear to be the way of emotion.
      I believe that it is that third way that makes people believe
      that if they can end thinking altogether, they will end their
      suffering. Yet, it also appears that those who believe thinking is
      a lowly pastime and stop doing it, end up stuck in the third way,
      that stuckness being in whatever beliefs they had when they
      gave up thinking.

      > They (Hellenic Philosphers) saw the philosopher as a compassionate
      physician whose arts could heal many pervasive types of human
      suffering. They practiced philosophy not as a detached intellectual
      technique dedicated to the display of cleverness but as an immersed
      and worldly art of grappling with human misery.