Re: Meditation for migraine

  • M Venkataraman
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2002
      Dera Mr Bob,
      You might have heard of Pranic healing, which can help in the case
      migraine.
      visit
      www.pranichealing.com

      The patient can get healed remotely also.
      the time of healing can be fixed in advance and the patient has to be
      receptive at that time. each session may take upto 30 minutes or more.
      a few sittings will help a lot.

      please email me if the patient is interested.

      M Venkataraman

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 27, 2003
        This was sent to me by a new member of the group.
        I think it was intended to be posted here, but when
        I tried to verify this, and replied to his email,
        it bounced back. So, I'm posting it now, without
        using the senders name.
        Bob

        Belyea" <jeff@s...> wrote:

        > > Virtually all meditation
        > > and relaxation techniques,
        > > visualization, guided imagery
        > > and self-hypnosis processes
        > > begins with ways to quiet
        > > the internal dialogue that
        > > we are so accustomed to
        > > listening to as self-talk.
        > >
        > > Breath awareness is the
        > > beginning point for most
        > > of these approaches to
        > > achieving (or re-claiming)
        > > peace of mind and inner
        > > strength.
        > >
        > > Even a few minutes of
        > > quiet awareness and
        > > simply following our
        > > breathing rhythm, being
        > > aware of when we are
        > > inhaling and when we
        > > are exhaling, practiced
        > > for even a few days,
        > > can begin to bring on
        > > a sense of peace and
        > > calm that improves our
        > > sense of well-being and
        > > our ability to handle
        > > potentially stressful
        > > situations in life.
        > >
        > > Simple. Direct.
        > > Uncomplicated.
        > >
        > > As we say in Maine,
        > > "The way life should be."
        > >
        > > All in love,
        > >
        > > Jeff

        > G: let's face it everyone has to breathe .... so this is one
        > practice that may be taken anywhere ... it can help to center -
        > focus - relax and release eventually one may still enough to start
        > to witness ... all from simply becoming aware of the breath and
        > letting it relax enough to come from the diaphragm (the stomach
        > will move) rather than the chest....
        >
        > shanti om

        Sender:
        "... to quiet the 'internal dialogue' ...
        that 'self-talk'. (Jeff)

        Is this not the crux of the problem?
        ... The whole problem of "psychological suffering",
        and this sense of "self" - the me and the mine?

        Apparently, one is identified with, and attached to, this "chatter".
        It is this who I REALLY believe myself to be?
        The one I defend, and the one I assert - the one that suffers so.
        ... And I think it MUST continue if I am to survive!
        Though "conceptually" I say it must end.

        And it seems that ANY effort I make to be rid of it, only sustains
        it, makes it stronger, because effort itself only makes for more
        chatter - the chatter that is reacting to the existing chatter?

        Yet Awareness does not chatter. It is simply Aware. It makes no
        effort to be or not to be. There is no "psychological conflict" in
        simply being Aware, is there?
        ... In Pure Awareness there is no "inward psychological entity",
        Is there?

        Is it possible for one be Aware without ANY "internal dialogue", with
        no sense of "self"?
        ... Possibly, for a moment, but can it be sustained indefinitely???

        And what is the nature of this Pure Awareness, the Awareness that can
        see and understand immediately, the Awareness that is free and
        independent of all "self-talk" - which is NOT at all the product of
        this chattering self with all of it misery,
        ... And I wonder how far does this Awareness it go,
        And what does it do?

        Will simply being aware of the breath still this continuous "internal
        dialogue" - its persistence, and end this sense of being a factual
        entity - "the self"?

        So I go from simply being aware of the breath, to "witnessing",
        to "self-inquiry", and back to Awareness, sometimes even gently
        touching that dimension of "Silent Awareness",
        ... And yet, still, the incessant chatter continues, like a leaky
        facet, taking me hither and thither, and I wonder will it ever end?
      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 28, 2003
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <
          no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > This was sent to me by a new member of the group.
          > I think it was intended to be posted here, but when
          > I tried to verify this, and replied to his email,
          > it bounced back. So, I'm posting it now, without
          > using the senders name.
          > Bob

          > Sender:
          > "... to quiet the 'internal dialogue' ...
          > that 'self-talk'. (Jeff)
          >
          > Is this not the crux of the problem?
          > ... The whole problem of "psychological suffering",
          > and this sense of "self" - the me and the mine?
          >
          > Apparently, one is identified with, and attached to, this "chatter".
          > It is this who I REALLY believe myself to be?
          > The one I defend, and the one I assert - the one that suffers so.
          > ... And I think it MUST continue if I am to survive!
          > Though "conceptually" I say it must end.
          >
          > And it seems that ANY effort I make to be rid of it, only sustains
          > it, makes it stronger, because effort itself only makes for more
          > chatter - the chatter that is reacting to the existing chatter?
          >
          > Yet Awareness does not chatter. It is simply Aware. It makes no
          > effort to be or not to be. There is no "psychological conflict" in
          > simply being Aware, is there?
          > ... In Pure Awareness there is no "inward psychological entity",
          > Is there?
          >
          > Is it possible for one be Aware without ANY "internal dialogue", with
          > no sense of "self"?
          > ... Possibly, for a moment, but can it be sustained indefinitely???

          Jeff: Here's where conceptualizing throws us off track. It is not a
          matter of stopping the internal chatter indefinitely. Quieting the
          internal chatter for "a moment" can be enough to give us a glimpse
          of what seems to be a new perceptual ability. Ken Wilber calls it
          "One taste" and those who experience it, "One Tasters". One taste
          and life, as we knew it, changes permanently. We discover something
          new, as if for the first time. From this moment on, as the song goes,
          we are not subject to the double minded whims of the ego, nor are
          we tossed around by every new teaching that comes along. Nor do we
          allow the internal dialogue to disturb us. All is accepted with
          equanimity. No urgent desire. No strong aversion. This one taste is as
          a taste of a new reality. It is as if a window of the mind opens and a
          new realization enters. With this realization comes the answers to all
          of your following questions. For more, see my previous post.

          All in love,

          Jeff

          > And what is the nature of this Pure Awareness, the Awareness that can
          > see and understand immediately, the Awareness that is free and
          > independent of all "self-talk" - which is NOT at all the product of
          > this chattering self with all of it misery,
          > ... And I wonder how far does this Awareness it go,
          > And what does it do?
          >
          > Will simply being aware of the breath still this continuous "internal
          > dialogue" - its persistence, and end this sense of being a factual
          > entity - "the self"?
          >
          > So I go from simply being aware of the breath, to "witnessing",
          > to "self-inquiry", and back to Awareness, sometimes even gently
          > touching that dimension of "Silent Awareness",
          > ... And yet, still, the incessant chatter continues, like a leaky
          > facet, taking me hither and thither, and I wonder will it ever end?
        • G
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 28, 2003
            > > Is this not the crux of the problem?
            > > ... The whole problem of "psychological suffering",
            > > and this sense of "self" - the me and the mine?

            G: the mind chatter and the mentations can and do for the most
            part hold suffering in place.... it holds the ego me idea in
            place....

            > > Apparently, one is identified with, and attached to, this
            "chatter".
            > > It is this who I REALLY believe myself to be?
            > > The one I defend, and the one I assert - the one that suffers
            so. ... And I think it MUST continue if I am to survive!
            > > Though "conceptually" I say it must end.

            G: this is exactly it .... it is sustaining *who* you believe
            yourself to be .... this is why self enquiry is used or Neti Neti is
            done .... you look at what you are not .... if you go into it deep
            enough these bonds will break ....

            the mantra Om is also good to use along the way when
            mind chatter rises .... eventually it will still ....

            > > And it seems that ANY effort I make to be rid of it, only
            sustains it, makes it stronger, because effort itself only makes
            for more chatter - the chatter that is reacting to the existing
            chatter?

            G: you cannot suppress the mind ... then it once again simply
            errupts with more chatter.... it takes time and being relaxed
            enough to allow it to drop.... when the illusions are broken
            through they will not rise again... bondage will be at an end....

            > > Yet Awareness does not chatter. It is simply Aware. It makes
            no effort to be or not to be. There is no "psychological conflict" in
            > > simply being Aware, is there?

            G: no .... Awareness is as it is.... some confuse intense
            concentration and focus though with being aware.... when the
            mentation quiets and relaxed seeing happens then Awareness
            is ..... it is not an effort it is effort-less.......

            > > ... In Pure Awareness there is no "inward psychological
            entity",
            > > Is there?

            G: there is no thought to looking for an entity ... there is no
            mind chatter that remains to establish and hold in place an
            entity.... in the Now of Pure Awareness there is only the
            moment - without "I" witnessing the moment in a delayed loop of
            mind ....

            > > Is it possible for one be Aware without ANY "internal
            dialogue", with
            > > no sense of "self"?

            G: yes ..... it is possible ....

            > > ... Possibly, for a moment, but can it be sustained
            indefinitely???

            G: there is nothing to sustain ... there remains a natural Being
            that does not need to sustain anything ... it simply IS....
            whatever is seen is as it IS .... no second guessing .... no
            need to put it into relationship with something else.... no mental
            ping pong games of needing to feel it out.... or sustain ... or run
            from .... it simply IS....

            > > And what is the nature of this Pure Awareness, the
            Awareness that can
            > > see and understand immediately, the Awareness that is free
            and independent of all "self-talk" - which is NOT at all the
            product of this chattering self with all of it misery,
            > > ... And I wonder how far does this Awareness it go,
            > > And what does it do?

            G: why must it do anything ? what does is the self ...
            mind does ..... Awareness is simply that Aware.... what needs
            to be known? the need to know and figure out the relative
            relationship drops for simply Being in the moment as it unfolds
            .... no second guessing ... no searching .... The nature of
            Awareness is Satvik or (neutral and in harmony) ... mind and
            self have been surrendered ...

            > > Will simply being aware of the breath still this continuous
            "internal dialogue" - its persistence, and end this sense of being
            a factual entity - "the self"?

            G: it is a start along the way.... you have to begin somewhere...

            the Om is also quite good..... but full attention must be on
            the om ... otherwise it is simply another cocophany of
            sound....

            > > So I go from simply being aware of the breath, to
            "witnessing", to "self-inquiry", and back to Awareness,
            sometimes even gently
            > > touching that dimension of "Silent Awareness",
            > > ... And yet, still, the incessant chatter continues, like a leaky
            > > facet, taking me hither and thither, and I wonder will it ever
            end?

            G: perhaps you are attempting to do all these things to fast.....
            start with one ..... let it get established and then move onto the
            next...... rome wasn't built in a day ... have patience and pull it
            apart brick by brick if needed...... as in all things you plant a
            seed and it needs time to grow and produce fruit ... if plucked to
            soon you only have wasted the efforts on sourness..... let it
            ripen and when ready it will fall from the tree ... the sweetness
            will then be known .....

            shanti om ...g... wonderful questions
          • devianandi
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 28, 2003

              > G: the mind chatter and the mentations can and do for the most
              > part hold suffering in place.... it holds the ego me idea in
              > place....

              stopping the thought waves in your mind is of prime importance in
              order to realize the ultimate Goal of a spiritual path..you have to
              keep working on the stopping of these thoughts until you Realize.
              thats the purpose of real meditation, thats the purpose of following
              your breath, or doing mantra or japa...any practice done correctly
              leads to the *thoughtless state", beyond all thougth is the entity
              called your True SElf. it takes effort and will power, if your not
              already *realized* sitting and reading negativity in any form on
              these websites is reallly detrimental to your process of
              realization...think about it and make the descision to ignore people
              who have nothing positive to offer. do you put mouldy food in your
              mouth, i don't think so, so don't put mouldy words in your ears, take
              your spiritual path seriously but do it with a heart full of light
              and love...if your spiritual realiztion doesn't produce light and
              love then something is wrong...
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 12 7:43 PM
                Question from M.B.
                Hello i tried your meditation technique 70) Non-Expression of Negativity and i didnt like it plz tell me how i can stop this cause i really dont like it understood.
                Here's the technique from Meditation Station in question:

                Non-Expression of Negativity (#70)

                One of the hardest "assignments" I give to
                the students in my class is to try to not
                say anything negative for a period of two
                hours on one day of a week, or for a whole
                day, or if they feel strong and brave, for
                a whole week. Invariably, this exercise is
                a tremendous learning experience for everyone
                who tries it. Reports of astonishment at how
                often the urge to comment negatively happens
                habitually are common, as is the feeling of
                embarrassment at one's own behavior and
                frustration at being unable to stop it.
                It's always alot of fun when the class
                reports their experiences. Some common themes
                occur, such as verbalizing negatively every
                time you talk to a teenage son or daughter,
                the impulse to mutter behind their back at
                a co-worker (especially the boss), and the
                compulsive snotty retort to a criticizing parent or in-law.

                Please try this wonderful educational
                meditation. You will witness yourself acting
                in ways that will amaze you. Just by seeing
                your habitual reactivity, you will be on the
                road to changing for the better. You've spent
                amounts of time and squandered enormous
                amounts of energy in negativity. As you will
                learn from observation and objective analysis,
                it is very rare to have improved any situation
                by injecting negativity into it. It is much more
                commonly a stimulus for making things worse.

                By doing this exercise, you will be ready to
                appreciate the wisdom of the concept that before
                every negative action, there are negative words,
                and before the negative words, there are negative
                thoughts. The meditator can interrupt this process
                by witnessing every action, every word, and every
                thought. If you can witness the thought, if it
                arises and you recognize it as negative, you can
                simply not allow uncontrolled negative words to
                occur. If you can't stop it on the level of
                stopping the negative words to come out, at
                least you should recognize when you are verbalizing
                negatively and be able to stop yourself from
                actually acting out negatively.

                Be gentle with yourself when you witness yourself
                being negative. Don't be negative about your
                negativity. Just observe the behavior, say
                "Oh, well", and go back to witnessing. Don't
                allow further inner commentary, comparisons,
                analyzations, or judgements; just witness. Begin
                to let "Oh, well", become a sort of shorthand
                for forgiving and reprimanding yourself and know
                nothing else is necessary and will needlessly
                drain you of energy and peace.

                Just by doing the witnessing, you will be doing
                many positive things. Most importantly, you will
                be at one with your Real Self, because that is
                what, within you, does the witnessing. Any time
                you are at one with your Real Self, you can be
                at one with all your Real Self is at one with
                and that is All Reality, for your Real Self is
                really at one with everyone and everything.
                Ultimately, there is only one Real Self and
                it is within all, everyone, and everything.
                Secondly, the more you witness your negativity,
                the less you will be negative. It's sort of
                like you've been unconsciously stepping on
                your own spiritual toes and once you realize it,
                you cease to do it and ever after cease having
                pain in your foot and tripping and falling on
                your face spiritually. Anyway, you'll definitely
                have a few good laughs at how silly your
                behavior is, when uncontrolled, and start to
                be less and less negative and more and more at
                peace. Eventually, you will live happily ever after.
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 13 11:40 AM
                  medit8ionsociety <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Question from M.B.
                  > Hello i tried your meditation technique 70) Non-Expression of Negativity and i didnt like it plz tell me how i can stop this cause i really dont like it understood.

                  M. B.,
                  To end this meditation, perhaps you could simply restart
                  Expressing Negativity and then going on with your life.
                  Hopefully, whatever you have gained or lost from this
                  technique will prove beneficial for you.