re: [Meditation Society of America]

  • bardsley@clix.pt
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
      Hi folks,

      New to the group and saying 'Hi' to all. I've just taken up meditation again having practised TM for a while many years ago and without much conviction. Am currently chanting Om for ten minutes and doing fifteen/twenty minutes of mantra or inner light mediatation after that, twice a day. I often find my chanting interrupted by copious yawning (!), and find myself falling asleep (but not yawning) during meditation, or immediately after, even if I'm not apparently tired, having had a good night's sleep. I also find myself experiencing an ache/knottedness/tingling on the right side of the base of my neck and a feeling of lopsidsedness to the right during meditation. I've recently given up smoking and drinking so I dare say I have a fair amount of toxin processing to do and I think these phenomena may well be to do with that, but I'd appreciate anyone else's thoughts.

      Grant.
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2002
        Dear Grant,
        Welcome! I think what you have been experiencing is your mind using
        your body to distract you from your meditation. I suggest that you
        relax your body well, prior to starting your chanting, and also
        actually command your mind to not do any commentary and to stay in a
        state of relaxed alertness, your emotions to stay in a serene mode,
        and your body to not distract you in any way. Silently Witness the
        meditation as it takes place. As you notice yourself being
        distracted, don't waste any time chastising yourself. Simply say "Oh
        well", and go back to Witnessing your "mantra or inner light
        mediatation" proceed. Seeing these distractions are major
        accomplishments and preceed the ceasation of these actions, which
        often are going on all the time. In meditation, we start to recognize
        these distractive reactions, and spontanous actions that are
        beneficial start to replace them. To stay awake during meditation,
        here's an article that first appeared in the 2nd issue of our
        newsletter, The Inner Traveler. I hope it will be of help to you:

        How To Stay Awake, Alert, And Pay Attention Even If You're Feeling
        The Urge To Sleep

        So you're sitting in a business meeting and you're bored to tears.
        Your eyelids are like lead and you seem to be dreaming. You know you
        have to at least appear to be interested in what's being discussed,
        but you feel an irresistible urge to sleep. Sound familiar? If it
        wasn't at work, it was at school, at church, or at your in laws, but
        somewhere at sometime you've been there and done that. Its cause is
        that we get way too comfortable and when we're all nice and comfy, we
        fall asleep. So how did we get so sleepyheaded? It all goes back to
        our childhood and continues to this day. We have been encouraged to
        be numb and dumb since we were babies. As kids, we were excited and
        energetic, but because we were active at inappropriate times, like in
        a classroom or at a movie or visiting Grandmom, we were trained, much
        like a dog is house-broken, to "behave" and "calm down". As we got
        older, we found ways to be very comfortable sitting and doing
        nothing. So comfortable, in fact, that we can even sleep with our
        eyes open. And walk and talk and generally live our lives in a
        dream-like daze. Virtually as brain dead as a marionette. And just
        like a dummy, we have no life of our own and have other people pull
        our strings.

        There is an alternative. We can wake up. And if we start dozing off,
        into our too-comfortable zombie state, we can flick an inner switch
        and energize. To understand the methodology, let's study that
        spiritual instruction titled "The Princess and the Pea".

        Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there was a beautiful
        young girl who had become lost while traveling. As the sun set and
        the moon rose, she happened upon a splendid castle. After knocking on
        the massive doors and being brought inside, she found out that this
        was the castle of the king of the country she had been passing
        through. The king came to see the visitor. After exchanging
        greetings, the girl claimed to be a princess of a neighboring country
        and asked for royal treatment. The king sought the advice of his
        trusted counselors, who suggested putting her to a test. As it was
        very late at night and the girl was tired, they prepared a bedroom
        for the girl that would reveal the validity of her claim to royalty.
        Unbeknownst to the girl, they placed a pea under a mattress and then
        put more mattresses on top. The young girl was then helped to the top
        of the mattresses and wished pleasant dreams. When the sun came up,
        the counselors came to the room and asked her how she slept. The girl
        said that she hadn't slept at all and that she had felt an annoying
        irritation that kept her awake all through the night. This was the
        proof the counselors had been looking for, because only a royal being
        could be sensitive enough to be aware of a pea under ten mattresses.
        The king was elated and offered the princess his son's hand in
        marriage and thus the kingdom. The princess found the prince the most
        wonderful, handsome, wise man in the world and quickly accepted. They
        married and lived happily ever after.

        This story can probably be told much more eloquently, but now is the
        time for understanding, not merely for storytelling. There is a great
        amount of spiritual knowledge that we can learn from this story. In
        fact, it has the potential to change our lives for the better so that
        we too will live happily ever afterÂ…

        The princess represents anyone who is lost and out of touch with
        their spiritual nature. Her journey is her quest for Enlightenment.
        The castle and the country are the kingdom of heaven within. It is
        necessary to stay awake to pass the test that will cause you to gain
        the Kings approval, marry into the royal family and share in control
        of the infinite, eternal kingdom. The night represents the time of
        ignorance of knowing our true royal idenity. There are many more
        analagies to be drawn from the tale but the one to now focus in on is
        the one that will help us stay awake. It was a minor annoyance that
        kept the princess awake all through the night, until the sun,
        representing the truth, came up. For us, it is right now even if the
        physical sun is out. We are in darkness, unaware of our true nature
        and must find a way to stay awake. The clue is the pea. It wasn't
        necessary to use a bed of nails, or any other severe austerity to
        make the princess stay awake. So all we must do is find a pea to put
        under our mattress.

        Let's go back to our original contention that we are much too
        comfortable. This is due to our habitually adopting physical postures
        that are condusive to falling asleep and much too relaxing to keep up
        a state of alertness. The antidote and key to being awake is simply
        to recognize your sleep inducing habits and then reverse them.

        The Unnatural Positions Meditation

        A sure way to relax your body is to have your arms and legs relaxed.
        If your extremities are tension-free, so will be your mind and
        emotions, and you will tend to become drowsy and sleepy. So, for
        example, when we are in a business meeting, we habitually sit in a
        way that we have become used to, and invariably soon have to fight
        the urge to fall asleep. Let's do a demonstration. Right now, cross
        your legs the way you always do. You will have either your right leg
        over your left or vice versa. Or, you will have your right ankle over
        your left, or vice versa. Feels good, right? Now, interlace your
        fingers. Your right thumb will be over your left thumb, your right
        index finger over your left, and so on, or vice versa. Now just sit
        there for about 108 seconds and enjoy how relaxing your habitual
        posture is, and how comfortable it makes you feel.

        Now, cross your legs and interlace your fingers the opposite way. So,
        if you usually have your right foot crossed over your left and have
        your left thumb aver your right, now put your left foot over your
        right and interlace all your fingers starting with your right thumb
        over your left. Now sit there for about 108 seconds.

        O.K. Fine, now you see. It is only a small change, just as a pea
        under a mattress is, but it is annoying enough to keep you awake. Now
        you can pay attention. You will not be able to fall asleep even if
        you
        want to. We are so habituated to our comfy conditioning manner of
        sitting that anything that is different makes a huge impression on
        us, overly annoying us and thus waking us up. So now you can pay
        attention to the boss, the teacher, the priest, or your
        mother-in-law, or whomever. But most importantly you can now pay
        attention to the present moment, and it is only in the present that
        your merging with
        the universe will take place. You must be present to receive this
        divine, truly royal present. This little change in physical
        discomfort can lead to your eternal spiritual comfort. Try it, be
        annoyed, wake up, and live happily ever after.

        I hope all this reading hasn't put you to sleep! I wish you well.
        Peace and blessings, Bob

        Grant wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        > New to the group and saying 'Hi' to all. I've just taken up
        meditation again having practised TM for a while many years ago and
        without much conviction. Am currently chanting Om for ten minutes and
        doing fifteen/twenty minutes of mantra or inner light mediatation
        after that, twice a day. I often find my chanting interrupted by
        copious yawning (!), and find myself falling asleep (but not yawning)
        during meditation, or immediately after, even if I'm not apparently
        tired, having had a good night's sleep. I also find myself
        experiencing an ache/knottedness/tingling on the right side of the
        base of my neck and a feeling of lopsidsedness to the right during
        meditation. I've recently given up smoking and drinking so I dare say
        I have a fair amount of toxin processing to do and I think these
        phenomena may well be to do with that, but I'd appreciate anyone
        else's thoughts.

        > Grant.
      • berther kimaryo
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2002
          Hi Meds,

          I will be away for one month.

          I will notify you when I am back.

          I wish you the best.

          Berther

          http://uk.my.yahoo.com
        • sandeep
          Message 4 of 5 , May 20, 2004

            Message 5 of 5 , May 20, 2004

              started,........the first response which
              > started this dialogue.
              > no facet of the dream-sequence can ever jump out of the
              dream.

              > How is this Seeing not another facet
              of the dream-sequence??

              It is, if there is an accompanying question as to whether the seeing is not another hoopla of the dream-sequence.

              In communication, some convention is to be followed while pointing isn't it, otherwise it's Eskimos speaking to Thias.

              Seeing is what is, .............in the total absence of all conceptualization, all questions, all concepts.

              Including the concept of seeing.