Journal Entry - October 07 - tosime

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 99 , Oct 8, 2002
      Journal Entry - tosime
      Date: October 07
      Time: 08:00 a.m.
      Duration: 47 minutes (open)
      Posture: Seated on chair
      Body: Eyes closed,
      - tongue tip to pallet,
      - hands on knees-index finger touching thumb.
      Room Condition: Darkened room
      - Two candles
      - Incense
      - Essential Oil - (Bergamot+water on burner)
      - Bell
      Pre-session: Sip of water
      - full body stretch (3 times).
      Mind Chatter: Medium.
      Waves of bliss: None.
      Experience: Good Session.

      Result: Stomach upset influenced session.

      I ate one of our traditional dishes last night. This left me with an
      irritation in my lower abdomen. I felt I should explore this.

      Decided to shadow my thoughts during phase one of my session. Instantly my
      mind went blank as if to say "...what do you mean 'shadow'?". Had to coax it
      to start up. It gave me the image of a puppy which led to a series of
      thoughts.

      Most of the irritable feelings from my stomach cleared.

      Spent some time in a non-thinking state.

      Went back to shadowing thoughts. Followed a stream of thoughts with a focus
      on the transitions. Arrived at some interesting conclusions.

      Stopped early since it will be a busy day.

      Appreciated that most of my feelings of irritation were my reaction to my
      stomach upset. The physical sensation was only about 40% of the actual pain.
      The balance was my mental reaction. After the session the residual
      irritation was simply enough to let me know what was happening since it did
      not require any action on my part. This level of pain made sense. What I did
      was to build on this with a negative reaction. However, I could not perceive
      any difference between my reaction and the underlying physical irritation, I
      felt it as one complete pain. One of the benefits of meditation is how it
      helps you to appreciate how your reactions add to physical and non-physical
      pain. The underlying pain is possibly only enough to prompt whatever action
      is needed on your part. Anything over this is possibly a reaction you have
      added. Since it is very hard to differentiate between the two parts of pain,
      we could try to practice being present continuously. This should help us
      develop our sensitivity to our physical reactions and reduce any overlay of
      mental reactions.
    • Swami-G
      Message 99 of 99 , Nov 29, 2003
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > Journal Entry - tosime
        > Date: November 29 2003
        > Type: Meditation on inner sounds (with earplugs)
        > Time: 07:55 a.m.
        > Duration: 38 minutes (open)
        > Posture: Seated on chair
        > Body: Eyes closed,
        > - Hands on knees
        > Room Condition: Darkened room
        > - One candle
        > - Incense
        > - Essential Oil - (Gardenia + water on burner)
        > Pre-session:
        > - Full body stretch (3 times).
        > - Struck the bell 3 times before starting
        > Mind Chatter: Low
        > Waves of bliss: None
        > Experience: Good Session. First session after about a year
        without
        > meditating
        >
        > Result: Recall Session - Getting used to the motions.
        >
        > Surprising easy to return to meditation. My body felt as if it were
        on
        > automatic pilot - simply did most of the usual things I did with
        very
        > little thinking on my part.
        >
        > Good physical relaxation. Moved quite quickly through deeper
        and deeper
        > states of physical relaxation.
        >
        > Had the insight that my day to day thinking was like watching a
        slide
        > show. Each slide would stop if I dwelt on it by thinking about it.
        If I
        > did not, the next slide would appear. Most of my problems
        come when I
        > dwell too much on each passing thought. The progression of
        thoughts is a
        > natural process that I interfere with when I dwell too long on
        any
        > particular thought. I should try relaxing more and allowing the
        thought
        > process to take its natural course.

        Sg: nice to see the site come back to its intention.....