Re: words and stuff

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2002
      "Tony" <tosime@b...> wrote:> Hi Bob,

      > I think Jim has left the group...I am lost for words!
      >
      > ...Tony

      Dear Tony,
      Yes, Jim did drop out, but did not leave as quietly as it seems. He
      kept sending me email and we ended up exchanging views about 8 times.
      I kept saying that analysis of words is a distraction to meditators,
      and Jim continued insisting that since we use words in this group,
      that semantics are important. But you know what??? It's not worth
      talking about.

      > > Tony wrote:
      > > >Do I have to read up on physics and semantics to converse with
      you?
      > Jim wrote:
      > Nah, but it would help if folks making physics and semantics
      > assertions knew what they were talking about before they did it.
      >
      > Dear Jim,
      > Don't you think that not even knowing how to spell the name of the
      > person you are referring to could indicate that it is
      > questionable if you yourself "knew what they were talking about
      > before they did it." And in any event, just knowing the word
      > "neurology" doesn't qualify you to do surgery on someone's brain.
      > Tony used the word "energy", and you made this into a matter of
      > semantics. His content deals very well with meditation and his use
      of
      > 'energy' was perfectly in context. We deal with meditation here,
      not
      > going off on a side track just to show off what someone thinks are
      > big words or profound statements (just to try to make themselves
      > appear as wise or whatever adjective applies?). We're all trying to
      > walk the walk, not just talk the talk. Methinks perhaps you're
      > thinking too much (and meditating too little?). I do think that
      it's
      > obvious that you are an intelligent guy, and if you get over that
      > obstacle, you'll be well worth your weight in insights. Or, as Kir
      Li
      > Molari suggests, you're just trying to teach us by example and
      humor
      > how silly and distracting from real understanding
      intellectualization

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/