Keeping a Spiritual Journal

    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 4, 2003
      Tony recently restarted his Meditation Journaling and was kind enough
      to share a few samples with us. This tradition is actually very old
      and wide spread. Benjamin Franklin kept a self-correcting journal, and
      the great Sri Swami Sivananda pointed to keeping a journal as a very
      beneficial means of self-inquiry. Here is one form he suggested using,
      and that he had his disciples all over the world send him for his
      analysis. Perhaps this may be a helpful tool for you:

      Spiritual Diary
      Month : ________________
      Questions

      Date

      1. When did you get up from bed ?

      2. How many hours did you sleep ?

      3. How many Malas of Japa ?

      4. How long in Kirtan ?

      5. How many Pranayamas ?

      6. How long did you perform Asanas ?

      7. How long did you meditate in one Asana?

      8. How many Gita Slokas did you read or get by heart ?

      9. How long in the company of the wise (Satsanga) ?

      10. How many hours did you observe Mouna ?

      11. How long in disinterested selfless service ?

      12. How much did you give in charity ?

      13. How many Mantras you wrote ?

      14. How long did you practice physical exercise ?

      15. How many lies did you tell and with what self-punishment ?

      16. How many times and how long of anger and with what self-punishment ?

      17. How many hours you spent in useless company ?

      18. How many times you failed in Brahmacharya ?

      19. How long in study of religious books ?

      20. How many times you failed in the control of evil habits and with
      what self-punishment ?

      21. How long you concentrated on your Ishta Devata (Saguna or Nirguna
      Dhyana) ?

      22. How many days did you observe fast and vigil ?

      23. Were you regular in your meditation ?

      24. What virtue are you developing ?

      25. What evil quality are you trying to eradicate ?

      26. What Indriya is troubling you most ?

      27. When did you go to bed ?
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
        Hi again,
        I just got a personal Email from someone I feel is worthy of respect
        and listening to, who pointed to the Advaita-like position that there
        are no "levels" of consciousness (IE: mocking "...the idea that some
        "yous" are more "conscious",..."). Well, to me there is no inaccuracy
        with that , but it occured to me that this isn't at all incongrous
        with journaling, as typified by the Swami Sivananda(who was a
        Vedantan/Advaitan himself) method below, because if you look at it, it
        really is a method of looking at "Who am I".
        Just a thought (and you know how much trouble they can get you in:-)
        Bob

      • Andy
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > Hi again,
          > I just got a personal Email from someone I feel is worthy of
          > respect and listening to, who pointed to the Advaita-like position
          > that there are no "levels" of consciousness (IE: mocking "...the
          > idea that some "yous" are more "conscious",..."). Well, to me
          > there is no inaccuracy with that , but it occured to me that this
          > isn't at all incongrous with journaling,

          Nothing is incongruous with consciousness.
          Even a misapprehension of what is, is, what is.
          The most insidious being the thought that a particular apprehension
          is more "right" than a specific misapprehension.

          > as typified by the Swami
          > Sivananda(who was a Vedantan/Advaitan himself) method below,
          > because if you look at it, it really is a method of looking
          > at "Who am I". Just a thought (and you know how much trouble
          > they can get you in:-)

          Only if they are believed. ;-)

          ~andy
        • Nina
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
            Bob, I don't know much about Swami Sivananda, his
            methods or reasons, but that collection of journal
            questions doesn't ask the right questions for self-
            reflection. It is asking nearly all quantitative
            questions... as in #20, when the journaler is asked,
            how long did you control your evil habits and what
            punishments did you apply when you failed? Those
            questions are not asking 'who am i?', they don't
            even nudge a person to look in that direction,
            as the person is too busy keeping up with the implied
            rules of 'being good'. I am quite surprised, actually,
            by how few qualitative questions that survey asks...
            qualitative is where contemplation begins and
            the 'who am i?' question finds room to arise... qualitative,
            as in: "You are seeking enlightenment. Why? And what do
            you think these questions serve towards that end, if anything?"
            Swami Sivananda could have taken lessons from a grade-school
            teacher or a newspaper reporter as regards asking good,
            leading questions... otherwise, journaling becomes something
            of a science akin to filling out a police report... what errors
            were committed, and when and by whom? Ah-ha, perhaps I stand
            corrected... there is where the "who am I" comes in - as
            regards what crimes were committed...

            Then again, maybe it is a gender difference. For your
            enjoyment:

            http://www.bookblog.net/gender/genie.html

            Nina

          • devianandi
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
              devi: that's awesome! because i was just thinking of doing the same
              activity..not because of self-inquiry though..it is becuase i want to
              make myself more perfect...which tony is this...from harshaji
              satsang? hmmm..i would add a recording of the nights dreams...

            • Nina
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                P.S. My letter below was analysed as 'male' by
                the gender genie. Lol!

                <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                > Bob, I don't know much about Swami Sivananda, his
                > methods or reasons, but that collection of journal
                > questions doesn't ask the right questions for self-
                > reflection.
              • devianandi
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                  >nina: Swami Sivananda could have taken lessons from a grade-school
                  > teacher or a newspaper reporter as regards asking good,
                  > leading questions...

                  devi: i suggest that you take a look at swami sivananda and then
                  reprimand yourself for this comment! haha tsk tsk....it seems to me
                  that journaling might be a good practice for you...haha

                  love
                  devi
                • Nina
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                    --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "devianandi"
                    <devi@p...> wrote:
                    > devi: that's awesome! because i was just thinking of doing the same
                    > activity..not because of self-inquiry though..it is becuase i want
                    > make myself more perfect...which tony is this...from harshaji
                    > satsang? hmmm..i would add a recording of the nights dreams...

                    Yep, just as I suspected, it is a tool
                    to make oneself more perfect, not
                    a tool make oneself more one with oneself...

                    curmudgeonly,
                    Nina
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                      "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                      > Bob, I don't know much about Swami Sivananda, his
                      > methods or reasons, but that collection of journal
                      > questions doesn't ask the right questions for self-
                      > reflection. It is asking nearly all quantitative
                      > questions... as in #20, when the journaler is asked,
                      > how long did you control your evil habits and what
                      > punishments did you apply when you failed? Those
                      > questions are not asking 'who am i?', they don't
                      > even nudge a person to look in that direction,
                      > as the person is too busy keeping up with the implied
                      > rules of 'being good'. I am quite surprised, actually,
                      > by how few qualitative questions that survey asks...
                      > qualitative is where contemplation begins and
                      > the 'who am i?' question finds room to arise... qualitative,
                      > as in: "You are seeking enlightenment. Why? And what do
                      > you think these questions serve towards that end, if anything?"
                      > Swami Sivananda could have taken lessons from a grade-school
                      > teacher or a newspaper reporter as regards asking good,
                      > leading questions... otherwise, journaling becomes something
                      > of a science akin to filling out a police report... what errors
                      > were committed, and when and by whom? Ah-ha, perhaps I stand
                      > corrected... there is where the "who am I" comes in - as
                      > regards what crimes were committed...
                      >
                      > Then again, maybe it is a gender difference. For your
                      > enjoyment:
                      >
                      > http://www.bookblog.net/gender/genie.html
                      >
                      > Nina

                      Dear Nina,
                      Well, I (whoever that is) don't agree with your conclusion at all. By
                      asking these type questions, I feel that the question of "Who am I"
                      will inevitably come to the forefront. Sivananda would reply to the
                      answers sent to him by disciples by pointing to this directly, and
                      using the premise that the "guru" is actually within, the inner guru
                      will do what Sivananda did. BTW, there was no other more successful
                      guru (success defined by quantity of disciples that got
                      "Enlightened"), than Swami Sivananda. Similarly, his disciples have
                      had the greatest success since he died. Check out the Divine Life
                      Society site:
                      http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/home.html
                      and I'm sure you'll see what I'm referring to. I also think that the
                      question you pointed to..."How many times you failed in the control of
                      evil habits and with what self-punishment ?" does lead very well to
                      the "Who am I" inquiry, as it asks you to address the questions of
                      what are "evil" habits, "self" and "self-punishment", as well as one
                      of Sivananda's favorite themes and methodologies - pointing out that
                      one always "fails" when trying to control anything ('Thy - the big THY
                      in the sky and in our hearts - will be done', etc.). Anyway, maybe it
                      is a gender thing, and I did enjoy the article, but one of his most
                      well known "Enlightened" disciples was a female - Sivananda-Rahda.
                      In any event, you may be right and Sivananda may not be asking the
                      "qualitative" questions that I see in his words, but I am not alone in
                      this perception.

> [...]
                      > > >

                      > > > 13. How many Mantras you wrote ?
                      > > >

                      > > > 14. How long did you practice physical exercise ?
                      > > >

                      > > > 15. How many lies did you tell and with what self-punishment ?
                      >

                      > > > 16. How many times and how long of anger and with what
                      > > self-punishment ?
                      > > >

                      > > > 17. How many hours you spent in useless company ?
                      > > >

                      > > > 18. How many times you failed in Brahmacharya ?
                      > > >

                      > > > 19. How long in study of religious books ?
                      > > >

                      > > > 20. How many times you failed in the control of evil habits and
                      > with
                      > > > what self-punishment ?
                      > > >

                      > > > 21. How long you concentrated on your Ishta Devata (Saguna or
                      > Nirguna
                      > > > Dhyana) ?
                      > > >

                      > > > 22. How many days did you observe fast and vigil ?
                      > > >

                      > > > 23. Were you regular in your meditation ?
                      > > >

                      > > > 24. What virtue are you developing ?
                      > > >

                      > > > 25. What evil quality are you trying to eradicate ?
                      > > >

                      > > > 26. What Indriya is troubling you most ?

                    • Swami-G
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                        medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                        > Hi again,
                        > I just got a personal Email from someone I feel is worthy of
                        respect and listening to, who pointed to the Advaita-like position
                        that there are no "levels" of consciousness (IE: mocking "...the
                        idea that some "yous" are more "conscious",..."). Well, to me
                        there is no inaccuracy with that , but it occured to me that this
                        isn't at all incongrous with journaling, as typified by the Swami
                        Sivananda(who was a Vedantan/Advaitan himself) method
                        below, because if you look at it, it really is a method of looking at
                        "Who am I". Just a thought (and you know how much trouble
                        they can get you in:-)
                        > Bob

                        SG: while one is within duality there is a starting point .... not
                        even Sri Ramana was actualized as a child ...... it took an
                        event........ a point in duality where the mind was transcended
                        .... the illusion broken ......

                        until that time one is within duality and uses whatever is at hand
                        to come to that point where the duality falls away .....

                        this advaita view and perception about there are no levels of
                        consciousness may only be spoken by one that is beyond the
                        levels..... beyond the trap of mind and mental comings and
                        goings......... until that time Yes there appears to be levels .....

                        you can go around in denial of it using advaita speak and that
                        is what it is simply denial which is not liberating at all.........
                        there comes a point where the duality dissolves into Advaita but
                        that is not as yet the norm for the whole of mankind ....... until
                        that time a journal is advantageous as a mooring to see what
                        patterns have been occurring thus bringing a point that may be
                        contemplated and broken through ...... this comes by
                        witnessing ....... then by a spontaneous Self Enquiry or Neti Neti
                        which then takes over to cut the knots of illusion...... but this
                        arises in a deep spontaneous manner and not by self as a
                        limitational practice .....

                        Next there will be the advaita speak of we are already that -----
                        there is nothing to do ----- there is nowhere to go ...... etc.etc......
                        that is true for the liberated One but not for those that are still
                        within the mundane mental cognition and drama.........
                        for them a journey is still in place which ends in it was always
                        right here ---- right now ----- ...... it is the great paradox .......

                        shanti om
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                          "Swami-G" <manjusrilotus@y...> wrote:
                          snip
                          > SG: while one is within duality there is a starting point ....
                          not
                          > even Sri Ramana was actualized as a child ...... it took an
                          > event........ a point in duality where the mind was transcended
                          > .... the illusion broken ......
                          >
                          > until that time one is within duality and uses whatever is at hand
                          > to come to that point where the duality falls away .....
                          >
                          > this advaita view and perception about there are no levels of
                          > consciousness may only be spoken by one that is beyond the
                          > levels..... beyond the trap of mind and mental comings and
                          > goings......... until that time Yes there appears to be levels
                          >
                          > you can go around in denial of it using advaita speak and that
                          > is what it is simply denial which is not liberating at all.........
                          > there comes a point where the duality dissolves into Advaita but
                          > that is not as yet the norm for the whole of mankind ....... until
                          > that time a journal is advantageous as a mooring to see what
                          > patterns have been occurring thus bringing a point that may be
                          > contemplated and broken through ...... this comes by
                          > witnessing ....... then by a spontaneous Self Enquiry or Neti Neti
                          > which then takes over to cut the knots of illusion...... but this
                          > arises in a deep spontaneous manner and not by self as a
                          > limitational practice .....
                          >
                          > Next there will be the advaita speak of we are already that -----
                          > there is nothing to do ----- there is nowhere to go ......
                          etc.etc......
                          > that is true for the liberated One but not for those that are still
                          > within the mundane mental cognition and drama.........
                          > for them a journey is still in place which ends in it was always
                          > right here ---- right now ----- ...... it is the great paradox
                          >
                          > shanti om

                          Thank you Swami Gji,
                          Recently we had a post questioning why an Advaitan would be posting
                          here on a meditation site, and also had Advaita postings that spoke of
                          'no need to meditate'. Your comments unify these positions eloquently
                          and wisely. Thanks again.
                        • carolina112900
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                            <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                            > P.S. My letter below was analysed as 'male' by
                            > the gender genie. Lol!

                            What's a gender genie?

                            Will I get trampled at the
                            Wal-Mart if I go there to
                            buy one?

                            > <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                            > > Bob, I don't know much about Swami Sivananda, his
                            > > methods or reasons, but that collection of journal
                            > > questions doesn't ask the right questions for self-
                            > > reflection.
                          • Nina
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                              > Anyway, maybe it
                              > is a gender thing, and I did enjoy the article, but one of his most
                              > well known "Enlightened" disciples was a female - Sivananda-Rahda.
                              > In any event, you may be right and Sivananda may not be asking the
                              > "qualitative" questions that I see in his words, but I am not alone
                              > in this perception.

                              Ah, I meant that perhaps Sivananda's wording of the
                              questions had to do with a masculine approach to language,
                              not that it would lead to enlightenment only among males.

                              Are you trying to tell me that any conclusion is justified,
                              as long as someone else agrees with you?

                              hehe,
                              Nina
                            • Nina
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                                <devi@p...> wrote:

                                > >nina: Swami Sivananda could have taken lessons from a grade-school
                                > > teacher or a newspaper reporter as regards asking good,
                                > > leading questions...
                                >
                                > devi: i suggest that you take a look at swami sivananda and then
                                > reprimand yourself for this comment! haha tsk tsk....it seems to
                                > me that journaling might be a good practice for you...haha
                                >
                                > love
                                > devi

                                LOL! Well, ok, but I seriously doubt I will need
                                a reprimand for speaking my mind.

                                I've done my share of journaling... it is smoke
                                in the wind. There is always this tendency to
                                cling to the journals and say: this is who I am.

                                Perhaps this is another hidden motive of Sivananda's.

                                Too bad he has passed, we could invite him to tea
                                and discuss journaling...

                                Nina
                              • Nina
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "carolina112900"
                                  <freyjartist@a...> wrote:
                                  > <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                                  > > P.S. My letter below was analysed as 'male' by
                                  > > the gender genie. Lol!
                                  > >

                                  > What's a gender genie?
                                  >
                                  > Will I get trampled at the
                                  > Wal-Mart if I go there to
                                  > buy one?

                                  You might not get trampled,
                                  but you'd probably get a funny
                                  look for using the word 'gender'...

                                  Here is the link:

                                  http://www.bookblog.net/gender/genie.html

                                  Nina
                                • tosime
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003

                                    Hello Everyone,

                                    I will be traveling to LA (from Lagos) tomorrow, for a one week training course.

                                    Look forward to posting again when I get back.

                                    …Tony

                                    America] Re: Keeping a Spiritual Journal

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                                      "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:

                                      snip

                                      > Are you trying to tell me that any conclusion is justified,
                                      > as long as someone else agrees with you?
                                      >
                                      > hehe,
                                      > Nina

                                      Of course! That's why it's true the Earth if flat,
                                      and GWB is President:-)
                                      And, this reminds me of a Nasrudin tale
                                      I heard recently, and as I'm akways looking for
                                      a chance to tell them, here itis........

                                      "Nasrudin how can we trust that
                                      what you teach is genuine?"
                                      "You should listen to my friends,"
                                      replied the Mullah.
                                      "But Hodja, they all say you are a fraud."
                                      "Well then," said the Mullah, "listen to my enemies."
                                      "But Hodja, they all say you are a fraud."
                                      "Then what is required is an expert
                                      opinion - we need the opinion of a fraud"
                                    • Andy
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                                        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Swami-G"
                                        <manjusrilotus@y...> wrote:

                                        Hi Swami-G ~

                                        SG: while one is within duality there is a starting point ....

                                        *****Other than at the moment of death (and thereafter), when is one
                                        not within duality?

                                        not even Sri Ramana was actualized as a child ...... it took an
                                        event........ a point in duality where the mind was transcended
                                        .... the illusion broken ...... until that time one is within
                                        duality and uses whatever is at hand to come to that point where the
                                        duality falls away .....

                                        *****Are you suggesting that post-awakening one is no longer "in"
                                        duality, no longer functioning in duality, that for one who is awake,
                                        duality no longer exists?

                                        this advaita view and perception about there are no levels of
                                        consciousness may only be spoken by one that is beyond the
                                        levels..... beyond the trap of mind and mental comings and
                                        goings......... until that time Yes there appears to be
                                        levels .....

                                        you can go around in denial of it using advaita speak and that
                                        is what it is simply denial which is not liberating at all.........

                                        *****OK. Denial is not liberating. Then...what is liberating? Is
                                        liberation an understanding that is caused? If so, by what?

                                        there comes a point where the duality dissolves into Advaita but
                                        that is not as yet the norm for the whole of mankind ....... until
                                        that time a journal is advantageous as a mooring to see what
                                        patterns have been occurring thus bringing a point that may be
                                        contemplated and broken through ......

                                        *****Certainly this may be so...for some. Just as meditation may
                                        contribute to the surfacing of the understanding that nothing was
                                        ever needed, that it was the search itself which kept the "game"
                                        going. However, there are no prescriptions which are appropriate for
                                        all. Each apparent entity will be guided to do what it needs to do,
                                        whether that is journaling, meditating, praying, chanting,
                                        psychotherapy ... it's all being taken quite good care of.

                                        this comes by witnessing ....... then by a spontaneous Self Enquiry
                                        or Neti Neti which then takes over to cut the knots of
                                        illusion...... but this arises in a deep spontaneous manner and not
                                        by self as a limitational practice .....

                                        Next there will be the advaita speak of we are already that -----
                                        there is nothing to do ----- there is nowhere to go ......
                                        etc.etc...... that is true for the liberated One but not for those
                                        that are still within the mundane mental cognition and drama.........

                                        *****Actually, it is true for all, although all may not realize it as
                                        such. (Reminds me of the old EST aphorism: "The truth believed is a
                                        lie.")

                                        for them a journey is still in place which ends in it was always
                                        right here ---- right now ----- ...... it is the great
                                        paradox .......

                                        *****Yes. It is a one-sided coin.

                                        ~ andy
                                      • Onniko
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                                          <devi@p...> wrote:
                                          > devi: that's awesome! because i was just thinking of doing the
                                          same
                                          > activity..not because of self-inquiry though..it is becuase i want
                                          > make myself more perfect...

                                          *v* More perfect :o?

                                          which tony is this...from harshaji
                                          > satsang? hmmm..i would add a recording of the nights dreams...
                                          >

                                          > > Tony recently restarted his Meditation Journaling and was kind
                                          > enough
                                          > > to share a few samples with us. This tradition is actually very
                                          old
                                          > > and wide spread. Benjamin Franklin kept a self-correcting
                                          journal,
                                          > and
                                          > > the great Sri Swami Sivananda pointed to keeping a journal as a
                                          very
                                          > > beneficial means of self-inquiry. Here is one form he suggested
                                          > using,
                                          > > and that he had his disciples all over the world send him for his
                                          > > analysis. Perhaps this may be a helpful tool for you:
                                          > >
                                          > > Spiritual Diary
                                          > > Month : ________________
                                          > > Questions
                                          > >
                                          > > Date
                                          > >

                                          > > 1. When did you get up from bed ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 2. How many hours did you sleep ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 3. How many Malas of Japa ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 4. How long in Kirtan ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 5. How many Pranayamas ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 6. How long did you perform Asanas ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 7. How long did you meditate in one Asana?
                                          > >

                                          > > 8. How many Gita Slokas did you read or get by heart ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 9. How long in the company of the wise (Satsanga) ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 10. How many hours did you observe Mouna ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 11. How long in disinterested selfless service ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 12. How much did you give in charity ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 13. How many Mantras you wrote ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 14. How long did you practice physical exercise ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 15. How many lies did you tell and with what self-punishment ?
                                          >

                                          > > 16. How many times and how long of anger and with what self-
                                          > punishment ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 17. How many hours you spent in useless company ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 18. How many times you failed in Brahmacharya ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 19. How long in study of religious books ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 20. How many times you failed in the control of evil habits and
                                          with
                                          > > what self-punishment ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 21. How long you concentrated on your Ishta Devata (Saguna or
                                          > Nirguna
                                          > > Dhyana) ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 22. How many days did you observe fast and vigil ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 23. Were you regular in your meditation ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 24. What virtue are you developing ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 25. What evil quality are you trying to eradicate ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 26. What Indriya is troubling you most ?
                                          > >

                                          > > 27. When did you go to bed ?
                                        • jodyrrr
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                                            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                            > Tony recently restarted his Meditation Journaling and was kind enough
                                            > to share a few samples with us. This tradition is actually very old
                                            > and wide spread. Benjamin Franklin kept a self-correcting journal, and
                                            > the great Sri Swami Sivananda pointed to keeping a journal as a very
                                            > beneficial means of self-inquiry. Here is one form he suggested using,
                                            > and that he had his disciples all over the world send him for his
                                            > analysis. Perhaps this may be a helpful tool for you:
                                            >
                                            > Spiritual Diary
                                            > Month : ________________
                                            > Questions
                                            >
                                            > Date
                                            >

                                            > 1. When did you get up from bed ?
                                            >

                                            > 2. How many hours did you sleep ?
                                            >

                                            > 3. How many Malas of Japa ?
                                            >

                                            > 4. How long in Kirtan ?
                                            >

                                            > 5. How many Pranayamas ?
                                            >

                                            > 6. How long did you perform Asanas ?
                                            >

                                            > 7. How long did you meditate in one Asana?
                                            >

                                            > 8. How many Gita Slokas did you read or get by heart ?
                                            >

                                            > 9. How long in the company of the wise (Satsanga) ?
                                            >

                                            > 10. How many hours did you observe Mouna ?
                                            >

                                            > 11. How long in disinterested selfless service ?
                                            >

                                            > 12. How much did you give in charity ?
                                            >

                                            > 13. How many Mantras you wrote ?
                                            >

                                            > 14. How long did you practice physical exercise ?
                                            >

                                            > 15. How many lies did you tell and with what self-punishment ?

                                            > 16. How many times and how long of anger and with what self-punishment ?

                                            > 17. How many hours you spent in useless company ?
                                            >

                                            > 18. How many times you failed in Brahmacharya ?
                                            >

                                            > 19. How long in study of religious books ?
                                            >

                                            > 20. How many times you failed in the control of evil habits and with
                                            > what self-punishment ?
                                            >

                                            > 21. How long you concentrated on your Ishta Devata (Saguna or Nirguna
                                            > Dhyana) ?
                                            >

                                            > 22. How many days did you observe fast and vigil ?
                                            >

                                            > 23. Were you regular in your meditation ?
                                            >

                                            > 24. What virtue are you developing ?
                                            >

                                            > 25. What evil quality are you trying to eradicate ?
                                            >

                                            > 26. What Indriya is troubling you most ?
                                            >

                                            > 27. When did you go to bed ?

                                            Listen, to each his own, but I guess I'm a guy who finds
                                            this kind of practice utterly backward. The idea that we
                                            must conform to some ridiculously authoritarian regime
                                            in order to come to understanding is a huge, huge
                                            occlusion in spiritual culture.

                                            This kind of Victorian disciplinism is the result of
                                            cultural mistranslation and a complete lack of
                                            historical perspective. I'm not saying it won't be the
                                            thing someone does before they come to understanding,
                                            but its presentation as a paradigm of spiritual practice
                                            is much more at home in a letter written 125 years ago
                                            imo.

                                            --jody.
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                                              "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                                              > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                              > > Tony recently restarted his Meditation Journaling and was kind enough
                                              > > to share a few samples with us. This tradition is actually very old
                                              > > and wide spread. Benjamin Franklin kept a self-correcting journal, and
                                              > > the great Sri Swami Sivananda pointed to keeping a journal as a very
                                              > > beneficial means of self-inquiry. Here is one form he suggested using,
                                              > > and that he had his disciples all over the world send him for his
                                              > > analysis. Perhaps this may be a helpful tool for you:
                                              > >
                                              > > Spiritual Diary
                                              > > Month : ________________
                                              > > Questions
                                              > >
                                              > > Date
                                              > >

                                              > > 1. When did you get up from bed ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 2. How many hours did you sleep ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 3. How many Malas of Japa ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 4. How long in Kirtan ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 5. How many Pranayamas ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 6. How long did you perform Asanas ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 7. How long did you meditate in one Asana?
                                              > >

                                              > > 8. How many Gita Slokas did you read or get by heart ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 9. How long in the company of the wise (Satsanga) ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 10. How many hours did you observe Mouna ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 11. How long in disinterested selfless service ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 12. How much did you give in charity ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 13. How many Mantras you wrote ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 14. How long did you practice physical exercise ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 15. How many lies did you tell and with what self-punishment ?
                                              >

                                              > > 16. How many times and how long of anger and with what
                                              self-punishment ?

                                              > > 17. How many hours you spent in useless company ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 18. How many times you failed in Brahmacharya ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 19. How long in study of religious books ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 20. How many times you failed in the control of evil habits and with
                                              > > what self-punishment ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 21. How long you concentrated on your Ishta Devata (Saguna or Nirguna
                                              > > Dhyana) ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 22. How many days did you observe fast and vigil ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 23. Were you regular in your meditation ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 24. What virtue are you developing ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 25. What evil quality are you trying to eradicate ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 26. What Indriya is troubling you most ?
                                              > >

                                              > > 27. When did you go to bed ?
                                              >
                                              > Listen, to each his own, but I guess I'm a guy who finds
                                              > this kind of practice utterly backward. The idea that we
                                              > must conform to some ridiculously authoritarian regime
                                              > in order to come to understanding is a huge, huge
                                              > occlusion in spiritual culture.
                                              >
                                              > This kind of Victorian disciplinism is the result of
                                              > cultural mistranslation and a complete lack of
                                              > historical perspective. I'm not saying it won't be the
                                              > thing someone does before they come to understanding,
                                              > but its presentation as a paradigm of spiritual practice
                                              > is much more at home in a letter written 125 years ago
                                              > imo.
                                              >
                                              > --jody.

                                              Dear Jodyji,
                                              This journal is only a drop in the ocean of methods that Swami
                                              Sivananda used in his teaching. He mainly used Kirtan chanting, Jhana,
                                              Raja, Bhakti, and Karma Yoga methodologies, and in his 350+ books, you
                                              can see a synthesis of pointings that come down to his (most
                                              "un-authoritarian" and "un-disciplinism" of all types of 'regimes')
                                              summary of his teachings...."Be good. Do good". But for some of his
                                              disciples, like Swami Vishnu-Devananda (founder of the internationally
                                              well known Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centers), it proved to be a valuable
                                              tool in their coming to Realization. BTW, I have read more than 80 of
                                              his books, and have never found anywhere anything pointing to "The
                                              idea that we must conform to some ridiculously authoritarian regime in
                                              order to come to understanding" that you stated. He was one of the
                                              kindest, and most humble gurus I have ever read about or heard stories
                                              about. He always put others before himself, and made a habit of caring
                                              for the poor and sick personally.
                                              I'll just cite one continuing activity of his that demonstrates the
                                              kind of person we are discussing - He would allow his followers to
                                              worship him, if that was what fit the needs of others, but would then
                                              go and wash sick saddhu's feet so as not to get big-headed about all
                                              the veneration. No Rolls Royces, and no just sitting on a mat beeming
                                              blissfully. Not that these things are "bad" either.
                                            • Swami-G
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                                                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Andy"
                                                <endofthedream@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                                                >

                                                > this comes by witnessing ....... then by a spontaneous Self
                                                Enquiry
                                                > or Neti Neti which then takes over to cut the knots of
                                                > illusion...... but this arises in a deep spontaneous manner and
                                                not
                                                > by self as a limitational practice .....
                                                >

                                                > Next there will be the advaita speak of we are already that -----
                                                > there is nothing to do ----- there is nowhere to go ......
                                                > etc.etc...... that is true for the liberated One but not for those
                                                > that are still within the mundane mental cognition and
                                                drama.........

                                                > *****Actually, it is true for all, although all may not realize it as
                                                > such. (Reminds me of the old EST aphorism: "The truth
                                                believed is a
                                                > lie.")
                                                >

                                                > for them a journey is still in place which ends in it was always

                                                SG: i am not here to debate, nor am i *suggesting*
                                                anything ...... what has been said has been said as it is .......
                                                enough said .......

                                                if you want more clarity about what was written email me
                                                directly ..... i won't waste the groups time on intellectual clap
                                                trap ......

                                                crystalkundalini@...
                                              • jodyrrr
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                                                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                                                  [snip]

                                                  > Dear Jodyji,
                                                  > This journal is only a drop in the ocean of methods that Swami
                                                  > Sivananda used in his teaching. He mainly used Kirtan chanting, Jhana,
                                                  > Raja, Bhakti, and Karma Yoga methodologies, and in his 350+ books, you
                                                  > can see a synthesis of pointings that come down to his (most
                                                  > "un-authoritarian" and "un-disciplinism" of all types of 'regimes')
                                                  > summary of his teachings...."Be good. Do good". But for some of his
                                                  > disciples, like Swami Vishnu-Devananda (founder of the internationally
                                                  > well known Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centers), it proved to be a valuable
                                                  > tool in their coming to Realization. BTW, I have read more than 80 of
                                                  > his books, and have never found anywhere anything pointing to "The
                                                  > idea that we must conform to some ridiculously authoritarian regime in
                                                  > order to come to understanding" that you stated. He was one of the
                                                  > kindest, and most humble gurus I have ever read about or heard stories
                                                  > about. He always put others before himself, and made a habit of caring
                                                  > for the poor and sick personally.
                                                  > I'll just cite one continuing activity of his that demonstrates the
                                                  > kind of person we are discussing - He would allow his followers to
                                                  > worship him, if that was what fit the needs of others, but would then
                                                  > go and wash sick saddhu's feet so as not to get big-headed about all
                                                  > the veneration. No Rolls Royces, and no just sitting on a mat beeming
                                                  > blissfully. Not that these things are "bad" either.
                                                  > Peace and blessings,
                                                  > Bob

                                                  Hey Bob.

                                                  I'm sure sorry that you took that as a guru dis, if indeed you did.
                                                  I certainly didn't mean it that way. In fact, my tradition is much
                                                  the same as taught by *my* guru and his preceptors.

                                                  I wasn't commenting on the author of the journal, I was attempting
                                                  to point out that the content of the journal was way, way outdated,
                                                  and that the acceptance of this kind of outdated material is cause
                                                  for as much ignorance as it is understanding. That's just my opinion
                                                  of course, but I'd have to say that the times, they are a changin',
                                                  and have been changing, a lot.

                                                  Your guru may have said these things in the 60s or 70s, but he
                                                  was reiterating the content of the 1800s. Also, he was Indian,
                                                  born and raised in India. His understanding was unlimited, but
                                                  his world map was firmly anchored in a whole different milieu.

                                                  I mean not a shred of disrespect, but I'm trying to put it in
                                                  historical perspective. That seems to be missed so often
                                                  in the arena of Indian thought as it resides in the West.

                                                  Swami Sivananda is unassailable, I agree. But as a historical
                                                  figure from an anthropological perspective, he was a man of
                                                  his times and his culture. His being in complete spiritual
                                                  understanding does not preclude the fact that some of what
                                                  he wrote just doesn't fit with the times anymore, and even
                                                  when he wrote it, it was out of a completely different cultural
                                                  milieu than the one he was presenting it in.

                                                  Again Bobji, I certainly don't mean to question Sivananda's
                                                  understanding or your judgement in regarding him as you do.

                                                  --jody.
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 5, 2003
                                                    "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:

                                                    snip

                                                    > Hey Bob.

                                                    > I'm sure sorry that you took that as a guru dis, if indeed you did.
                                                    > I certainly didn't mean it that way. In fact, my tradition is much
                                                    > the same as taught by *my* guru and his preceptors.
                                                    >
                                                    > I wasn't commenting on the author of the journal, I was attempting
                                                    > to point out that the content of the journal was way, way outdated,
                                                    > and that the acceptance of this kind of outdated material is cause
                                                    > for as much ignorance as it is understanding. That's just my
                                                    opinion of course, but I'd have to say that the times, they are a
                                                    changin',
                                                    > and have been changing, a lot.
                                                    >
                                                    > Your guru may have said these things in the 60s or 70s, but he
                                                    > was reiterating the content of the 1800s. Also, he was Indian,
                                                    > born and raised in India. His understanding was unlimited, but
                                                    > his world map was firmly anchored in a whole different milieu.

                                                    > I mean not a shred of disrespect, but I'm trying to put it in
                                                    > historical perspective. That seems to be missed so often
                                                    > in the arena of Indian thought as it resides in the West.
                                                    >
                                                    > Swami Sivananda is unassailable, I agree. But as a historical
                                                    > figure from an anthropological perspective, he was a man of
                                                    > his times and his culture. His being in complete spiritual
                                                    > understanding does not preclude the fact that some of what
                                                    > he wrote just doesn't fit with the times anymore, and even
                                                    > when he wrote it, it was out of a completely different cultural
                                                    > milieu than the one he was presenting it in.
                                                    >
                                                    > Again Bobji, I certainly don't mean to question Sivananda's
                                                    > understanding or your judgement in regarding him as you do.
                                                    >
                                                    > --jody.

                                                    Yo Jodyji,
                                                    Actually, I never have had a formal "guru", and the only initiation I
                                                    ever was involved with was with Guru Maharaji's "Knowledge". But
                                                    that's another story for another time. One of the main influences on
                                                    me over the past 35 years though, has been one of Swami Sivananda's
                                                    disciples, Sri Gurudev Swami Satchidananda, and it was from hearing
                                                    his stories about Sivananda that I first had an interest in him. My
                                                    initial reaction to one of his books though, was exactly what yours
                                                    seems to be - IE: "This guy is way too old-fashioned for my tastes" or
                                                    some similar kind of thing. Then about 10 years later, I again opened
                                                    one of his books and "got high" with every sentence. As someone who
                                                    wasted/spent 20 years just seeking methods and techniques to get high,
                                                    and had finally stopped caring about attaining or experiencing "higher
                                                    levels of consciousness", I was somewhat surprised how quickly I
                                                    became addicted to Sivananda's down to earth dissections of the
                                                    heaviest of topics (the Upanishads, Gita, Bible, philosophy,
                                                    psychology, etc.), and how filled with love, contentment, and bliss
                                                    reading and contemplating his words brought to me. At one point I even
                                                    asked Swami Satchidananda if I was being inappropriate in some
                                                    attachment way by gobbling up all the Sivananda readings I could get
                                                    my hands on. He said absolutely not, and that there was no better
                                                    thing I could be doing. So I stopped worrying about it, enjoyed it,
                                                    and eventually this ran its course, and I no longer do much reading
                                                    about anything "spiritual" except for those things that come to me
                                                    related to being the editor of The Inner Traveler and the President of
                                                    the Meditation Society of America. As a matter of fact, there is no
                                                    doubt that I quote St. Homer Simson in our meditation classes much
                                                    more than Sivananda, but for me, he is just as contemporary and
                                                    universal a source of wisdom.
                                                    PS: Thanks for your gentle way of communicating. You're a class act.
                                                  • devianandi
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Dec 8, 2003
                                                      > > devi: that's awesome! because i was just thinking of doing the
                                                      same
                                                      > > activity..not because of self-inquiry though..it is becuase i
                                                      want
                                                      > > make myself more perfect...which tony is this...from harshaji
                                                      > > satsang? hmmm..i would add a recording of the nights dreams...
                                                      >
                                                      > Yep, just as I suspected, it is a tool
                                                      > to make oneself more perfect, not
                                                      > a tool make oneself more one with oneself...
                                                      >
                                                      > curmudgeonly,
                                                      > Nina

                                                      hi, i just spent the last two days and 800 dollars on a new
                                                      computer..i meant to reply to you days ago but didn't get a chance
                                                      till now.

                                                      nina my love and inspiration,

                                                      tell me, whats the difference that you see between making oneself
                                                      more perfect and making onseself more one with oneself?

                                                      do you think that if you are one with yourself that you don't have
                                                      any room for a more perfect living?

                                                      love
                                                      devi
                                                    • Nina
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Dec 8, 2003
                                                        > > > devi: that's awesome! because i was just
                                                        > > > thinking of doing the same
                                                        > > > activity..not because of self-inquiry
                                                        > > > though..it is becuase i want to
                                                        > > > make myself more perfect...which tony
                                                        > > > is this...from harshaji
                                                        > > > satsang? hmmm..i would add a recording of the nights dreams...
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Yep, just as I suspected, it is a tool
                                                        > > to make oneself more perfect, not
                                                        > > a tool make oneself more one with oneself...
                                                        >
                                                        > nina my love and inspiration,
                                                        >
                                                        > tell me, whats the difference that you see between making oneself
                                                        > more perfect and making onseself more one with oneself?
                                                        >
                                                        > do you think that if you are one with yourself that you don't have
                                                        > any room for a more perfect living?

                                                        Hello, Devi,

                                                        Of course, this may only be my interpretation,
                                                        but I detected in your first letter the sense of
                                                        'perfecting' equating to 'making better', as it
                                                        relates to behaving in a certain way as can be
                                                        inferred from Sivananda's set of journal questions.

                                                        Does the application of those behavioral constraints
                                                        create a more perfect person? No, though it may allow
                                                        one to feel more 'spiritually correct', and provide
                                                        leverage for the battles that are waged on the
                                                        plains of spiritual conquest.

                                                        What if, in the spirit of neti neti, we assumed that
                                                        all the rules for correct spiritual behavior had
                                                        fallen away. What would remain? How would we live our
                                                        lives? What would dictate our quality of being?

                                                        It is awfully easy to assume Sivananda's implied
                                                        behavioral mores via journal questions as the
                                                        'correct way to live', and perfect ourselves to
                                                        his vision (however valid it may be) of perfection,
                                                        while all the time completely ignoring our own
                                                        heart path, which has at its root, a perfection
                                                        which exists apriori to any behavior.

                                                        I would propose, that rather than taking on new
                                                        patterns of behavior, and enforcing them upon
                                                        oneself, that one discover the most perfect patterns
                                                        of behavior within, and allow those to move into
                                                        effulgence.

                                                        I guess the next question might be:
                                                        what's perfect?

                                                        Nina
                                                      • Jeff Belyea
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Dec 8, 2003
                                                          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Nina" <
                                                          murrkis@y...> wrote:

                                                          > > > Yep, just as I suspected, it is a tool
                                                          > > > to make oneself more perfect, not
                                                          > > > a tool make oneself more one with oneself...
                                                          > >
                                                          > > nina my love and inspiration,
                                                          > >
                                                          > > tell me, whats the difference that you see between making oneself
                                                          > > more perfect and making onseself more one with oneself?
                                                          > >
                                                          > > do you think that if you are one with yourself that you don't have
                                                          > > any room for a more perfect living?
                                                          >
                                                          > Hello, Devi,
                                                          >
                                                          > Of course, this may only be my interpretation,
                                                          > but I detected in your first letter the sense of
                                                          > 'perfecting' equating to 'making better', as it
                                                          > relates to behaving in a certain way as can be
                                                          > inferred from Sivananda's set of journal questions.
                                                          >
                                                          > Does the application of those behavioral constraints
                                                          > create a more perfect person? No, though it may allow
                                                          > one to feel more 'spiritually correct', and provide
                                                          > leverage for the battles that are waged on the
                                                          > plains of spiritual conquest.
                                                          >
                                                          > What if, in the spirit of neti neti, we assumed that
                                                          > all the rules for correct spiritual behavior had
                                                          > fallen away. What would remain? How would we live our
                                                          > lives? What would dictate our quality of being?
                                                          >
                                                          > It is awfully easy to assume Sivananda's implied
                                                          > behavioral mores via journal questions as the
                                                          > 'correct way to live', and perfect ourselves to
                                                          > his vision (however valid it may be) of perfection,
                                                          > while all the time completely ignoring our own
                                                          > heart path, which has at its root, a perfection
                                                          > which exists apriori to any behavior.
                                                          >
                                                          > I would propose, that rather than taking on new
                                                          > patterns of behavior, and enforcing them upon
                                                          > oneself, that one discover the most perfect patterns
                                                          > of behavior within, and allow those to move into
                                                          > effulgence.
                                                          >
                                                          > I guess the next question might be:
                                                          > what's perfect?
                                                          >
                                                          > Nina