Re: Dealing With Life: It's all about comfort!

  • jodyrrr
    Message 1 of 123 , Dec 4, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Eglaelin" <eglaelin@y...>
      wrote:
      > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
      > > You guys are reading me wrong. I'm using the word
      > > comfort because it's the best description of the goal
      > > of all life.
      > >
      > > All live strives for comfort. Comfort can be found in
      > > happiness, security, being sated, pleasure, etc. Everything
      > > life does is a search for comfort. All behavior boils
      > > down to this one thing.
      >
      > Let's try an experiment. Conduct a survey with a hundred people. Ask
      > them a simple question -- Would you rather be comfortable or happy?

      Comfort *is* happiness, pleasure, good times, security, being stuffed
      with food, cuddling, whatever makes you feel ok, that is comfort.

      > > I will contend that over 99% of those seeking enlightenment
      > > are really only seeking the comfort they believe it will
      > > bring. The operative term here is "believe."
      > >
      > > Comfort is the light that life follows at all times, just as a
      > > plant's phototropism causes it to follow the sun.
      > >
      > > The sun represents comfort for the plant. It brings
      > > food and vigor, and security that the seeds will be made.
      > >
      > > It's all about comfort folks. Every single thing that we do.
      > >
      > > There is no escape.
      > >
      > It still sounds like you are choosing to use the word 'comfort'
      > instead of 'happiness,' or 'joy' or even 'enlightenment.' Lets try a
      > corresponding quote from my favorite person to see how it compares:
      >
      > "I believe that the very purpose of life is to be happy. From the
      > very core of our being, we desire contentment. In my own limited
      > experience I have found that the more we care for the happiness of
      > others, the greater is our own sense of well-being. Cultivating a
      > close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at
      > ease. It helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and
      > gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is
      > the principal source of success in life. Since we are not solely
      > material creatures, it is a mistake to place all our hopes for
      > happiness on external development alone. The key is to develop inner
      > peace."
      >
      > You say all beings seek comfort. The Dalai Lama says all beings seek
      > happiness. A Utilitarian will say all beings seek pleasure. The only
      > difference between the terms used relates to level of applicability.

      That makes my point. The Dalai Lama says all beings seek
      happiness. What the Dalai Lama is calling happiness, I'm calling
      comfort. I feel that term is more inclusive. Happiness, joy, etc.
      are emotions. Comfort is a state of being. Everything is taken
      care of, on all the levels we live as individuals. What I'm saying
      is that this is the motivation behind *everything* we do, including
      and especially the motivation to find enlightenment.

      Our search for enlightenment is really just seeking comfort (or
      happiness if you prefer the term). We come to some conclusions
      as to what enlightenment is and what it will do for us, then we
      go try to find it in the hope that we'll realize our expectations
      about it.

      There is a kind of comfort that comes with awakening, but it has
      absolutely nothing to do with how it makes us feel.

      The comfort that is available with awakening is the simply the
      understanding that the one who would be comfortable simply
      does not exist.

      --jody.
    • devi@pacific.net
      Message 123 of 123 , Dec 17, 2003
        > If you like the study of the mind, Eglaelin, You might try Georg
        > Feuerstein's translation and commentary on "Yoga Sutra" by
        Patanjali.
        > It is the basis of Raja Yoga. It is very systematic and well
        formed.

        > Love,
        > Bobby G.

        devi: i have it on order from the library, i've already read about
        four or five commentaries, most from indian scholors, i'm actually
        thinking about offering study groups in my area..