Re: Dealing With Life: It's all about comfort!

  • Eglaelin
    Message 1 of 123 , Dec 4, 2003
      <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
      > You guys are reading me wrong. I'm using the word
      > comfort because it's the best description of the goal
      > of all life.
      >
      > All live strives for comfort. Comfort can be found in
      > happiness, security, being sated, pleasure, etc. Everything
      > life does is a search for comfort. All behavior boils
      > down to this one thing.

      Let's try an experiment. Conduct a survey with a hundred people. Ask
      them a simple question -- Would you rather be comfortable or happy?

      > I will contend that over 99% of those seeking enlightenment
      > are really only seeking the comfort they believe it will
      > bring. The operative term here is "believe."
      >
      > Comfort is the light that life follows at all times, just as a
      > plant's phototropism causes it to follow the sun.
      >
      > The sun represents comfort for the plant. It brings
      > food and vigor, and security that the seeds will be made.
      >
      > It's all about comfort folks. Every single thing that we do.
      >
      > There is no escape.

      It still sounds like you are choosing to use the word 'comfort'
      instead of 'happiness,' or 'joy' or even 'enlightenment.' Lets try a
      corresponding quote from my favorite person to see how it compares:

      "I believe that the very purpose of life is to be happy. From the
      very core of our being, we desire contentment. In my own limited
      experience I have found that the more we care for the happiness of
      others, the greater is our own sense of well-being. Cultivating a
      close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at
      ease. It helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and
      gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is
      the principal source of success in life. Since we are not solely
      material creatures, it is a mistake to place all our hopes for
      happiness on external development alone. The key is to develop inner
      peace."

      You say all beings seek comfort. The Dalai Lama says all beings seek
      happiness. A Utilitarian will say all beings seek pleasure. The only
      difference between the terms used relates to level of applicability.
      > --jody.

      Peace On Your Path,
      Eglaelin
    • devi@pacific.net
      Message 123 of 123 , Dec 17, 2003
        > If you like the study of the mind, Eglaelin, You might try Georg
        > Feuerstein's translation and commentary on "Yoga Sutra" by
        Patanjali.
        > It is the basis of Raja Yoga. It is very systematic and well
        formed.

        > Love,
        > Bobby G.

        devi: i have it on order from the library, i've already read about
        four or five commentaries, most from indian scholors, i'm actually
        thinking about offering study groups in my area..