Re: Dealing With Life: It's all about comfort!

  • carolina112900
    Message 1 of 123 , Dec 4, 2003
      <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Eglaelin
      <eglaelin@y...> wrote:

      > [snip]
      >
      > > These are 'just' dictionary results. Personally,
      > > I will use the word happiness. I think maybe the
      > > reason that comfort sounds better for you is that
      > > it seems less like a striving instead of a
      > > seeking of the status. IMO, comfort is a word
      > > that seems to represent complacency instead of
      > > being active.
      >
      > You guys are reading me wrong. I'm using the word
      > comfort because it's the best description of the goal
      > of all life.

      jody, when I read your posts,
      I related your use of the word comfort
      and the context in which you used it,
      to:
      How can I survive better?
      The on-going quest to survive
      in the best possible way, which has
      to be better than what I got right now!

      > All live strives for comfort. Comfort can be found in
      > happiness, security, being sated, pleasure, etc. Everything
      > life does is a search for comfort. All behavior boils
      > down to this one thing.
      >
      > I will contend that over 99% of those seeking enlightenment
      > are really only seeking the comfort they believe it will
      > bring. The operative term here is "believe."
      >
      > Comfort is the light that life follows at all times, just as a
      > plant's phototropism causes it to follow the sun.
      >
      > The sun represents comfort for the plant. It brings
      > food and vigor, and security that the seeds will be made.
      >
      > It's all about comfort folks. Every single thing that we do.
      >
      > There is no escape.

      Seeking enlightenment is another, more sophisticated form
      of looking for what they believe will be a better way to exist.

      Well, everyone is looking for the pot o' gold at the
      end of the rainbow.

      You know why they call it the American "dream", don't you?

      Because it only happens when you're asleep.

      ;-)

      freyja

    • devi@pacific.net
      Message 123 of 123 , Dec 17, 2003
        > If you like the study of the mind, Eglaelin, You might try Georg
        > Feuerstein's translation and commentary on "Yoga Sutra" by
        Patanjali.
        > It is the basis of Raja Yoga. It is very systematic and well
        formed.

        > Love,
        > Bobby G.

        devi: i have it on order from the library, i've already read about
        four or five commentaries, most from indian scholors, i'm actually
        thinking about offering study groups in my area..