Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Dealing With Life Meditations/Eglaelin

  • Eglaelin
    Message 1 of 123 , Dec 4, 2003
      --- jodyrrr <jodyrrr@...> wrote:
      > --- In
      > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com,
      > "Terry Wall" <terryw@i...>
      > wrote:
      > > It is interesting that you choose the word
      > "comfort." Others have chosen words like
      > pleasure, happiness, enlightenment, unity,
      > heaven, accomplishment, whatever. What
      > is it about "comfort" that makes it so special
      > for you?
      >
      > It's not about being special for me. I contend
      > that all life strives for
      > comfort, and that all behavior can be ascribed
      > to comfort seeking.
      >
      > Pleasure and happiness are just forms of
      > comfort. People strive for
      > enlightenment, but what they are really seeking
      > is comfort.
      >
      > --jody.
      I think you have simply chosen a word that has
      less emotional impact for you. Comfort is a less
      'powerful' word than happiness or pleasure. For
      Example:
      Comfort: Function: transitive verb
      Etymology: Middle English, from Old French
      conforter, from Late Latin confortare to
      strengthen greatly, from Latin com- + fortis
      strong Date: 13th century
      1 : to give strength and hope to : CHEER
      2 : to ease the grief or trouble of

      OR

      Function: noun
      Date: 13th century
      1 : strengthening aid: a : ASSISTANCE, SUPPORT
      <accused of giving aid and comfort to the enemy>
      b : consolation in time of trouble or worry :
      SOLACE
      2 a : a feeling of relief or encouragement b :
      contented well-being
      3 : a satisfying or enjoyable experience
      4 : one that gives or brings comfort

      Happiness:

      Function: noun
      Date: 15th century
      1 obsolete : good fortune : PROSPERITY
      2 a : a state of well-being and contentment : JOY
      b : a pleasurable or satisfying experience

      These are 'just' dictionary results. Personally,
      I will use the word happiness. I think maybe the
      reason that comfort sounds better for you is that
      it seems less like a striving instead of a
      seeking of the status. IMO, comfort is a word
      that seems to represent complacency instead of
      being active.

      =====
      Peace On Your Path,
      Eglaelin

      They (Hellenic Philosphers) saw the philosopher as a compassionate physician whose arts could heal many pervasive types of human suffering. They practiced philosophy not as a detached intellectual technique dedicated to the display of cleverness but as an immersed and worldly art of grappling with human misery.

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      http://companion.yahoo.com/
    • devi@pacific.net
      Message 123 of 123 , Dec 17, 2003
        > If you like the study of the mind, Eglaelin, You might try Georg
        > Feuerstein's translation and commentary on "Yoga Sutra" by
        Patanjali.
        > It is the basis of Raja Yoga. It is very systematic and well
        formed.

        > Love,
        > Bobby G.

        devi: i have it on order from the library, i've already read about
        four or five commentaries, most from indian scholors, i'm actually
        thinking about offering study groups in my area..