words and stuff

  • JWMeritt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2002
      Tony wrote:
      >Do I have to read up on physics and semantics to converse with you?

      Nah, but it would help if folks making physics and semantics assertions knew
      what they were talking about before they did it.

      >I think I am lost here. Was there a joke somewhere in there?

      Neither most physics textbooks nor Korbinski's work is not amendable for
      "quick perusal" for most.

      >What then can we say about our choice of words?

      Chose them well, grasshopper! ;-)

      Say what you mean and mean what you say.

      >I am lost even further. Who is Count Korbinski? What does he write about?

      Oh. Polish count during WWII. He authored the founding text referenced
      often in General Semantics - _Science_and_Sanity_
      (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0937298018/qid=1033650289/sr=1-

      3/ref=sr_1_3/104-9250910-4989559?v=glance ). I've always had trouble
      spelling his name.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2002
        Jim wrote:
        Nah, but it would help if folks making physics and semantics
        assertions knew what they were talking about before they did it.

        Dear Jim,
        Don't you think that not even knowing how to spell the name of the
        person you are referring to could indicate that it is
        questionable if you yourself "knew what they were talking about
        before they did it." And in any event, just knowing the word
        "neurology" doesn't qualify you to do surgery on someone's brain.
        Tony used the word "energy", and you made this into a matter of
        semantics. His content deals very well with meditation and his use of
        'energy' was perfectly in context. We deal with meditation here, not
        going off on a side track just to show off what someone thinks are
        big words or profound statements (just to try to make themselves
        appear as wise or whatever adjective applies?). We're all trying to
        walk the walk, not just talk the talk. Methinks perhaps you're
        thinking too much (and meditating too little?). I do think that it's
        obvious that you are an intelligent guy, and if you get over that
        obstacle, you'll be well worth your weight in insights. Or, as Kir Li
        Molari suggests, you're just trying to teach us by example and humor
        how silly and distracting from real understanding intellectualization
        can be.
      • Tony
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2002
          Hi Bob,

          I think Jim has left the group...I am lost for words!

          ...Tony

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6, 2002
            "Tony" <tosime@b...> wrote:> Hi Bob,

            > I think Jim has left the group...I am lost for words!
            >
            > ...Tony

            Dear Tony,
            Yes, Jim did drop out, but did not leave as quietly as it seems. He
            kept sending me email and we ended up exchanging views about 8 times.
            I kept saying that analysis of words is a distraction to meditators,
            and Jim continued insisting that since we use words in this group,
            that semantics are important. But you know what??? It's not worth
            talking about.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/