[Meditation Society of America] Re: Dealing With Life Meditations/Eglaelin

  • Eglaelin
    Message 1 of 123 , Nov 30, 2003
      Greetings and Felicitation,

      I have been contemplating your comments below for several days. Here
      is thought, or two, about this subject.

      Humans are the only creature (that we know of) whom deliberately seek
      out uncomfortable circumstances for the experience. Have you ever
      heard of an animal going without food when food was available. Yet,
      human beings will deliberately fast when plenty of food is present.
      Why? For the experience. Does any animal climb to the top of Mt.
      Everest just for the experience of doing so. How about living in
      extreme cold, or space, just for the experience? The list of
      activities could go on and on. Maybe this is one of the defining
      differences between animals and humans. Just a thought.

    • devi@pacific.net
      Message 123 of 123 , Dec 17, 2003
        > If you like the study of the mind, Eglaelin, You might try Georg
        > Feuerstein's translation and commentary on "Yoga Sutra" by
        Patanjali.
        > It is the basis of Raja Yoga. It is very systematic and well
        formed.

        > Love,
        > Bobby G.

        devi: i have it on order from the library, i've already read about
        four or five commentaries, most from indian scholors, i'm actually
        thinking about offering study groups in my area..