What To Renounce

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2003
      SIVANANDA DAILY READING FOR 29 NOVEMBER

      WHAT TO RENOUNCE

      Mere outward giving up of things is nothing. It is not real
      renunciation. Real tyaga or sanyas (renunciation) consists in
      absolute renunciation of all vasanas (tendencies) and the destruction
      of the heart-knot of ignorance, the chit-jada-granthi (confusion
      between the conscious subject and inert object).

      What is to be renounced is the bheda buddhi (divisive intellect)
      which says, "I am superior to that man." "I am the body." And the
      kartrtva abhimana which thinks, "I am the doer." There is no use in
      your renouncing your home, wife and children. You must destroy moha
      (attachment) for the body, children, money, house, property - then
      you will get that state of immortality from which you will never
      return.

      He who has merely withdrawn himself from worldly possessions, cannot
      be regarded as having renounced the world altogether; but he who is
      living in actual contact with the world, finds out its faults. He who
      is freed from every passion and whose soul depends on nothing may be
      said to have truly renounced the world. Read the story of Raja
      Sikhidhwaja and Queen Chudala in the Yoga Vasishta.

      The spirit cometh and goeth. Therefore you will have to be careful
      always in nourishing and protecting your spiritual samskaras
      (impressions) with burning vairagya (dispassion), intense and
      constant sadhana (practice) and burning mumukshutva (desire for
      liberation). Increase your good samskaras. Develop them. Multiply
      them.

      People do not want to remove mala (impurity) by selfless service and
      vikshepa (restlessness of mind) with upasana (devotion). They think
      that bhakti and service are nothing. They at once jump to open the
      kundalini and raise the brahmakara vritti (the feeling of Brahmin is
      the all). They will only break down their legs.

      Serve and worship; jnana and yoga will come by themĀ­selves,
      kundalini will be awakened by itself.

      Sri Swami Sivananda
    • Swami-G
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 29, 2003
        medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > SIVANANDA DAILY READING FOR 29 NOVEMBER
        >
        > WHAT TO RENOUNCE
        >
        > Mere outward giving up of things is nothing. It is not real
        > renunciation. Real tyaga or sanyas (renunciation) consists in
        > absolute renunciation of all vasanas (tendencies) and the
        destruction
        > of the heart-knot of ignorance, the chit-jada-granthi (confusion
        > between the conscious subject and inert object).
        >
        > What is to be renounced is the bheda buddhi (divisive intellect)
        > which says, "I am superior to that man." "I am the body." And
        the
        > kartrtva abhimana which thinks, "I am the doer." There is no
        use in
        > your renouncing your home, wife and children. You must
        destroy moha
        > (attachment) for the body, children, money, house, property -
        then
        > you will get that state of immortality from which you will never
        > return.
        >
        > He who has merely withdrawn himself from worldly
        possessions, cannot
        > be regarded as having renounced the world altogether; but he
        who is
        > living in actual contact with the world, finds out its faults. He
        who
        > is freed from every passion and whose soul depends on
        nothing may be
        > said to have truly renounced the world. Read the story of Raja
        > Sikhidhwaja and Queen Chudala in the Yoga Vasishta.
        >
        > The spirit cometh and goeth. Therefore you will have to be
        careful
        > always in nourishing and protecting your spiritual samskaras
        > (impressions) with burning vairagya (dispassion), intense and
        > constant sadhana (practice) and burning mumukshutva
        (desire for
        > liberation). Increase your good samskaras. Develop them.
        Multiply
        > them.
        >
        > People do not want to remove mala (impurity) by selfless
        service and
        > vikshepa (restlessness of mind) with upasana (devotion). They
        think
        > that bhakti and service are nothing. They at once jump to open
        the
        > kundalini and raise the brahmakara vritti (the feeling of
        Brahmin is
        > the all). They will only break down their legs.
        >
        > Serve and worship; jnana and yoga will come by them-selves,
        > kundalini will be awakened by itself.
        >
        > Sri Swami Sivananda

        SG: well said .......