Journal Entry - October 02 - tosime

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 99 , Oct 2, 2002
      Journal Entry - tosime
      Date: October 02
      Time: 10:25 a.m.
      Duration: 44 minutes (open)
      Posture: Seated on chair
      Body: Eyes closed,
      - tongue tip to pallet,
      - hands on knees-index finger touching thumb.
      Room Condition: Darkened room
      - Two candles
      - Incense
      - Essential Oil - (Bergamot+water on burner)
      - Bell
      Pre-session: Sip of water
      - full body stretch (3 times).
      Mind Chatter: Low.
      Waves of bliss: None.
      Experience: Good Session. Shorter session due to late start.

      Result: Some progress, felt a little sleepy.

      Due to late start, I wanted to keep it brief. Sort of stumbled on two
      arguments, each between two people. Even though it seemed to have nothing to
      do with me, I found it hard to take my attention away, so I had to sit it
      out for a few moments.

      Noticed how I forget more than half of what happens during the meditation.
      On so many events, I found myself saying, I am sure I am going to forget
      this when the session is over. And I was right. I wonder why this is?

      Improving ability to remain without thought. I am doing it more often and
      for longer periods. It seems to get easier with practice.

      Recalled scenes from a documentary on a brain tumor operation. The patient
      was awake while the surgeons removed a tumor from his brain. The patient had
      to be awake so that he could tell the surgeons what he was feeling as the
      operation took place. In this way the surgeons could avoid removing
      important parts of brain tissue. I was stunned by the implications of this.
      What if patient was the surgeon and used his own hands to perform the
      surgery on himself through mechanical devices and a camera system? It struck
      me that maybe this is what we are doing in meditation - using the mind to
      heal the mind.

      Because I slept late last night, I woke late this morning. I almost decided
      not to meditate. Then I remembered how missing a session influences the next
      session. So for the sake of tomorrows meditation I decided to have a brief
      session today.
    • Swami-G
      Message 99 of 99 , Nov 29 11:37 AM
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > Journal Entry - tosime
        > Date: November 29 2003
        > Type: Meditation on inner sounds (with earplugs)
        > Time: 07:55 a.m.
        > Duration: 38 minutes (open)
        > Posture: Seated on chair
        > Body: Eyes closed,
        > - Hands on knees
        > Room Condition: Darkened room
        > - One candle
        > - Incense
        > - Essential Oil - (Gardenia + water on burner)
        > Pre-session:
        > - Full body stretch (3 times).
        > - Struck the bell 3 times before starting
        > Mind Chatter: Low
        > Waves of bliss: None
        > Experience: Good Session. First session after about a year
        > meditating
        > Result: Recall Session - Getting used to the motions.
        > Surprising easy to return to meditation. My body felt as if it were
        > automatic pilot - simply did most of the usual things I did with
        > little thinking on my part.
        > Good physical relaxation. Moved quite quickly through deeper
        and deeper
        > states of physical relaxation.
        > Had the insight that my day to day thinking was like watching a
        > show. Each slide would stop if I dwelt on it by thinking about it.
        If I
        > did not, the next slide would appear. Most of my problems
        come when I
        > dwell too much on each passing thought. The progression of
        thoughts is a
        > natural process that I interfere with when I dwell too long on
        > particular thought. I should try relaxing more and allowing the
        > process to take its natural course.

        Sg: nice to see the site come back to its intention.....