Dealing With Life Meditations

  • Eglaelin
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 24, 2003
      Greetings and Felicitations,

      I would like to know what kind of meditiations members of the group
      use when dealing with daily life. What kind of practical methods do
      you use to keep from being angry, being afraid, being patient and
      related subjects.
      I am seeking to build a collection of meditations to be used in such
      situations.

      Thanks In Advance,
      Eglaelin.
    • Andy
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 24, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Eglaelin"
        <eglaelin@y...> wrote:

        > Greetings and Felicitations,
        >
        > I would like to know what kind of meditiations members of the group
        > use when dealing with daily life. What kind of practical methods do
        > you use to keep from being angry, being afraid, being patient and
        > related subjects. I am seeking to build a collection of
        > meditations to be used in such situations.
        >
        > Thanks In Advance,
        > Eglaelin.

        Hi Eglaelin ~

        Why seek to avoid being angry (or afraid or joyful, for that matter)?

        Why not simply accept the emotion/state as long as it is present? In
        other words, do nothing (which is, of course, still a doing).

        None of the states (fear, angry, joy, humor, etc.) persist.

        This is true for both the pleasant and the unpleasant ones.

        They come and go, of their own accord, born out of the interaction
        between the immediate circumstances in which one finds oneself (the
        stimulus) and the innate conditioning-in-the-moment (one's wiring)
        which is operating at that moment.

        ~ andy
      • William von Zangenberg

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 24, 2003
            "Eglaelin" <eglaelin@y...> wrote:
            > Greetings and Felicitations,
            >
            > I would like to know what kind of meditiations members of the group
            > use when dealing with daily life. What kind of practical methods do
            > you use to keep from being angry, being afraid, being patient and
            > related subjects.
            > I am seeking to build a collection of meditations to be used in such
            > situations.
            >
            > Thanks In Advance,
            > Eglaelin.

            Dear Eglaelin,

            There are dozens of "practical methods" on our web site, Meditation
            Station http://www.meditationsociety.com (which has one pop-up and one
            pop-over, if you care:-) But what I'd like to share with you are some
            of the obstacles that will hinder or stop your meditative efforts:

            1. Laziness - not being regular in whatever methods you use. Allowing
            your mind to make excuses as to why you shouldn't meditate, or do it
            at a given time (and your mind will do this).
            2. Allowing your mind to focus on the material world and ego tripping.
            3. Listening to the doubts your mind will fill you with.
            4. Identifying with "I am my body" or "I am my emotions" or "I am my
            mind".
            5. Being careless, changing, or being inconsistent in your practice.
            6. Fantasizing about the future and rehashing the past.
            7. Squandering energy on unnecessary tension. This can be emotional or
            mental tension, as well as physical.
            8. Not paying attention to your life as it takes place (see #6 for two
            of the primary causes - habitual/obsessive behavior is another).
            9. Discontent.
            10. Running towards what your mind tells you will be pleasurable, and
            running away from what your mind tells you will not be pleasurable.

            And the two most important attributes you can have "to keep from being
            angry, being afraid, being patient and related subjects" are:

            Compassion and humility.

          • texasbg2000
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 25, 2003
              <eglaelin@y...> wrote:
              > Greetings and Felicitations,
              >
              > I would like to know what kind of meditiations members of the group
              > use when dealing with daily life. What kind of practical methods do
              > you use to keep from being angry, being afraid, being patient and
              > related subjects.
              > I am seeking to build a collection of meditations to be used in
              such
              > situations.
              >
              > Thanks In Advance,
              > Eglaelin.

              Hi Eglaelin:

              I usually ask myself "Who is mad?"

              But to get to that I went through lots of other methodology. I
              assembled them together in a website.

              mentaltree.homestead.com

              Love
              Bobby G.
            • Eglaelin
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 25, 2003
                Greetings and Felicitations,

                Why accept anger, hate, rage, fear and the
                multitude of negative emotions. Is not the goal
                to fill yourself with feelings of love,
                compassion and caring and empty yourself of
                feelings of fear and anger? Should we not be
                moved by the suffering of another? Should we
                simply look at the feelings these situations
                bring about without doing 'anything' about them.
                I seek to void myself of those emotions that do
                not lead to harmonious interaction with myself
                and the world around me.
                I think there can be a real danger in too much
                non-attachment. In other words do not become too
                attached to your non-attachment.

                Peace On Your Path,
                Eglaelin
                --- Andy <endofthedream@...> wrote:

                > Hi Eglaelin ~

                > Why not simply accept the emotion/state as long
                > as it is present? In
                > other words, do nothing (which is, of course,
                > still a doing).

                =====
                Peace On Your Path,
                Eglaelin

                Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                http://companion.yahoo.com/
              • Eglaelin
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 25, 2003
                  --- medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>

                  > Dear Eglaelin,
                  >
                  > There are dozens of "practical methods" on our
                  > web site, Meditation
                  > Station http://www.meditationsociety.com

                  I will check these out. I look forward to reading
                  them.

                  > 2. Allowing your mind to focus on the material
                  > world and ego tripping.
                  These are two different issues. The material
                  world is where we are. I know the tendency to
                  concentrate on inner planes, other realities and
                  related subjects. I am here to take action in the
                  material plane. I know that many religions and
                  religious people think the material world is
                  something to escape from. I think the purpose of
                  religion and religious visions (especially ones
                  of utopian realities elsewhere) are to show us
                  what we can make of the material world.
                  I agree that Ego tripping is a dangerous tendency
                  among religious people. I don't know how many
                  "ascendant masters I have met.

                  > 4. Identifying with "I am my body" or "I am my
                  > emotions" or "I am my mind".
                  These are all part of our reality. They are just
                  as important as our spiritual aspects. I refer to
                  my statement about reality above.

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 25, 2003
                    Eglaelin <eglaelin@y...> wrote:
                    snip
                    Eglaelin wrote:
                    > These are two different issues. The material
                    > world is where we are. I know the tendency to
                    > concentrate on inner planes, other realities and
                    > related subjects. I am here to take action in the
                    > material plane. I know that many religions and
                    > religious people think the material world is
                    > something to escape from. I think the purpose of
                    > religion and religious visions (especially ones
                    > of utopian realities elsewhere) are to show us
                    > what we can make of the material world.
                    > I agree that Ego tripping is a dangerous tendency
                    > among religious people. I don't know how many
                    > "ascendant masters I have met.
                    >

                    > > 4. Identifying with "I am my body" or "I am my
                    > > emotions" or "I am my mind".
                    > These are all part of our reality. They are just
                    > as important as our spiritual aspects. I refer to
                    > my statement about reality above.
                    >
                    > > Compassion and humility.
                    > >
                    > > Peace and blessings,
                    > > Bob
                    >
                    > Peace On Your Path,
                    > Eglaelin

                    Dear Egaelin,
                    I have no argument with what you have said, or on your
                    having the views on this that you do. But I do think they
                    are kind of "in the box". The statements in #2 and #4, like
                    the other 8, were pointings to things that are obstacles to
                    meditation, and IMHO are very spiritually (and in "reality")
                    correct. I feel they hold true to the teachings of Vedanta,
                    Advaita, Jhnana and Raja Yogas, and virtually every religion
                    "ism" I can think of, etc., and in "real life" too. Dwelling
                    on materialism, and "I am my body, emotions, mind" stuff will
                    stop the silence and energize the inner chatterer every time.
                    And Poof goes the Witnessing! And yet, there is a fine Shinto
                    saying from the 6th century that well unites these seemingly
                    opposite perspectives:
                    "Regard Heaven as your father, Earth as your mother,
                    all things as brothers and sisters, and you will enjoy
                    the divine country that excels all others."
                    I wish you well.
                  • Eglaelin
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 26, 2003
                      Greetings and Felicitations,

                      I agree that materialism is a barrier to growth.
                      Dealing with the material plane and being
                      materialistic are different. Accepting the
                      reality of mind, body, emotion and universe does
                      not invalidate the spiritual aspects. It simply
                      embraces them as part of the overall gestalt of
                      existence.
                      There are times when we must be in the box and
                      times when we must be out of the box. Only when
                      we can act from both views of reality can we be
                      of help to others. There is a time for silence
                      and a time for talk. There is a time for action
                      and a time for rest. I like the biblical qoute
                      relating to this but will not reprint it here.

                      Most of the religious 'isms do have the same
                      approach. "This world is flawed and must be
                      escaped from," is a common thread within most of
                      them. They either image the universe as illusion
                      and unimportant or they image the universe as
                      full of Sin and something to be escaped from. My
                      favorite book (Ethics For A New Millenium) is
                      about bringing spiritual knowledge into the world
                      for the betterment of humanity and the universe.
                      It embraces the need for lifting yourself and
                      others into a higher perception. The Dalai Lama
                      did an excellent job of separating religion from
                      spirituality and showing how it can improve one's
                      life and the life of others. I have always taken
                      this approach to life.
                      What is the purpose of life. In my opinion the
                      purpose of life is to make things better than
                      they were before I got here. It is just my
                      methodologies that have changed.
                      There is much validity in not taking the material
                      plane as the overwhelming concern for you
                      activity. I simply feel that you have to do both.

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 26, 2003

                        Hello Eglaelin ~

                        Why accept anger, hate, rage, fear and the
                        multitude of negative emotions. Is not the goal

                        You have a goal.  I don't.  I am content to let what arises arise, knowing that nothing persists.

                        to fill yourself with feelings of love,
                        compassion and caring and empty yourself of
                        feelings of fear and anger?

                        There is no me to be filled.  There is just the coming and going of thoughts, feelings, sensations, feelings, wants, desires, cravings ... whatever.  Attempting to empty one's self of these is like trying to catch the wind.

                        Should we not be moved by the suffering of another?

                        It's not a matter of "should."  If one is moved by another's suffering, then one is moved.  And action may follow.  That action may ease (or eradicate) the suffering or it may not.

                        Should we simply look at the feelings these situations bring about without doing 'anything' about them.

                        Again, it is not a matter of "should."  I am in no way telling you what you "should" do.  I am sharing what happens here.  That is all.

                        I have found that whatever one resists, persists.  In the act of resisting (and wanting to make rage, or anger, or fear go away is a resisting), the emotion is given "validation," and becomes more entrenched.

                        Instead, of expending energy to make the rage, fear or anger disappear, one may simply be with "what is."  In watching, exploring, perhaps even examining the unexplored assumptions that underlie the emotion, the emotion is defused of its power.  And it quickly evaporates.

                        I seek to void myself of those emotions that do not lead to harmonious interaction with myself and the world around me.

                        Here the emotions come and go, the pleasant and the unpleasant.  There is a total indifference to their being present.  Joy at the sunrise.  Annoyance at the ache in my back.  Humor at an amusing event.  Anger at the mistreatment of somebody.  Fear of dying.  These emotion-thoughts are all grist for the mill.  They don't stick; they don't stay.  And yet, underneath all of them...there is peace.

                        I think there can be a real danger in too much non-attachment. In other words do not become too attached to your non-attachment.

                        What danger do you see in this?  What is it that is in danger?

                        Hugs! ~

                        andy

                        Do you Yahoo!?
                      • William von Zangenberg

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 27, 2003
                            Greetings and Felicitations,

                            The danger in non-attachment comes when it is
                            used as an excuse to separate ourselves from
                            those around us. I will give you an example from
                            my own life.
                            I used to share a house with several people.
                            Among the renters there was a couple where the
                            husband was a Buddhist. One day the woman picked
                            up her daughter from pre-school. The little girls
                            genitals were red and irritated. We decided to
                            take her to the doctor. Before we left we called
                            the husband and told him what was going on. His
                            reply was I will see you after meditation class.
                            The hospital reported that the girl had been
                            molested. We called the husband again. The same
                            reply was given. When he finally showed up he
                            said he needed meditation class so that he would
                            not be attached to his daughters condition. He
                            used non-attachment to hide from what was going
                            on.

                            The present was his daughter was in the hospital
                            after being molested. He retreated from the Now
                            and hid in his non-attachment. Was knowing
                            himself more important that the circumstances of
                            the Now? What was more important his
                            self-knowledge or the suffering of his daughter?
                            This is the danger of simply existing without any
                            attachemt.
                            --- William von Zangenberg <bvgeek@...>

                            =====
                            Peace On Your Path,
                            Eglaelin

                            Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                            http://companion.yahoo.com/
                          • Swami-G
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 27, 2003
                              <eglaelin@y...> wrote:
                              > Greetings and Felicitations,
                              >
                              > The danger in non-attachment comes when it is
                              > used as an excuse to separate ourselves from
                              > those around us. I will give you an example from
                              > my own life.
                              > I used to share a house with several people.
                              > Among the renters there was a couple where the
                              > husband was a Buddhist. One day the woman picked
                              > up her daughter from pre-school. The little girls
                              > genitals were red and irritated. We decided to
                              > take her to the doctor. Before we left we called
                              > the husband and told him what was going on. His
                              > reply was I will see you after meditation class.
                              > The hospital reported that the girl had been
                              > molested. We called the husband again. The same
                              > reply was given. When he finally showed up he
                              > said he needed meditation class so that he would
                              > not be attached to his daughters condition. He
                              > used non-attachment to hide from what was going
                              > on.
                              >
                              > The present was his daughter was in the hospital
                              > after being molested. He retreated from the Now
                              > and hid in his non-attachment. Was knowing
                              > himself more important that the circumstances of
                              > the Now? What was more important his
                              > self-knowledge or the suffering of his daughter?
                              > This is the danger of simply existing without any
                              > attachemt.

                              SG: this is not non-attachment it is more in the order of
                              denial.....

                              non-attachment is being Fully in the moment as it IS without
                              denying or coloring other than what is present...... it doesn't
                              mean turning a blind eye ....... it means being fully present Now
                              and then when that passes it is gone ........ not attaching to it as
                              a past or future........
                            • Nina
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 27, 2003
                                > > Greetings and Felicitations,
                                > >
                                > > The danger in non-attachment comes when it is
                                > > used as an excuse to separate ourselves from
                                > > those around us. I will give you an example from
                                > > my own life.
                                > > I used to share a house with several people.
                                > > Among the renters there was a couple where the
                                > > husband was a Buddhist. One day the woman picked
                                > > up her daughter from pre-school. The little girls
                                > > genitals were red and irritated. We decided to
                                > > take her to the doctor. Before we left we called
                                > > the husband and told him what was going on. His
                                > > reply was I will see you after meditation class.
                                > > The hospital reported that the girl had been
                                > > molested. We called the husband again. The same
                                > > reply was given. When he finally showed up he
                                > > said he needed meditation class so that he would
                                > > not be attached to his daughters condition. He
                                > > used non-attachment to hide from what was going
                                > > on.
                                > >
                                > > The present was his daughter was in the hospital
                                > > after being molested. He retreated from the Now
                                > > and hid in his non-attachment. Was knowing
                                > > himself more important that the circumstances of
                                > > the Now? What was more important his
                                > > self-knowledge or the suffering of his daughter?
                                > > This is the danger of simply existing without any
                                > > attachemt.
                                >

                                > SG: this is not non-attachment it is more in the order of
                                > denial.....
                                >
                                > non-attachment is being Fully in the moment as it IS without
                                > denying or coloring other than what is present...... it doesn't
                                > mean turning a blind eye ....... it means being fully present
                                Now
                                > and then when that passes it is gone ........ not attaching to
                                it as
                                > a past or future........

                                Right, to add to this, it seems his approach to meditation
                                is not serving his 'self-knowledge'... looks more like it
                                is supporting his escape from himself.
                              • Eglaelin
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 27, 2003
                                  <murrkis@y...> wrote:

                                  > > non-attachment is being Fully in the moment as it IS without
                                  > > denying or coloring other than what is present...... it doesn't
                                  > > mean turning a blind eye ....... it means being fully present
                                  > Now
                                  > > and then when that passes it is gone ........ not attaching to
                                  > it as
                                  > > a past or future........
                                  >
                                  > Right, to add to this, it seems his approach to meditation
                                  > is not serving his 'self-knowledge'... looks more like it
                                  > is supporting his escape from himself.

                                  Agreed.