Meditation Tip #44

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2003
      We may not be able to find time during the day for longer periods of
      spiritual practice, but usually we can find times when we can just sit
      in the kitchen, in the office, no matter where—for a few moments, and
      close our eyes and relax. That practice alone will help to steady our
      consciousness. If we add to it repetition of God's name, our mind will
      become focused, our consciousness will be raised. And as we are
      repeating God's name we can recognise that something is aware of that
      repetition. We don't create a witness, because that's just another
      thought, but whatever is in our mind, we recognise that something is
      knowing it.

      That something can never be grasped, but it is never absent whether we
      are sitting quietly, whether we are active, whether we are dreaming or
      whether we are in deep sleep. The remembrance of that ungraspable
      witness raises our consciousness and puts us in another dimension. And
      all this can be done in a few moments.

      Sri Swami Atmaswarupananda