Sorupa Saram, The Essence of One's Own True Nature

  • Michael L.
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2003
      I received an email
      from David Godman.

      He has made some corrections
      to the translation of
      Sorupa Saram.

      He just posted the new version
      on his web site on November 11.

      So, one of the quotes
      I quoted just a few days ago
      has changed.

      You can read the new
      version of Sorupa Saram
      by clicking:

      http://www.davidgodman.org/tamilt/Sorupa_Saram_new.pdf

      Or you can click David's website:

      http://www.davidgodman.org/

      Then look upper left and click Sorupa Saram.

      The English title for Sorupa Saram is:

      "The Essence of One's Own True Nature"

      It was composed around
      the end of the sixteenth century
      by Sorupananda, a distinguished Tamil saint and Guru.

      Sri Ramana Maharshi sometimes refered to this work.

      If you click the Sorupa Saram link above you will find
      a very interesting and lengthy introduction.

      I have compared the quotes I quoted previously
      (12,13,26,60,67,76,81,92)and of these,
      I think the only one that has been changed is #12.

      Here is the new translation of #12:

      Previously I only gave the answer on #12
      and I paraphrased the first line
      so I will do that again here:

      The following are the names for the Self
      given by the scriptures (Vedas):

      Knowledge is 'I';

      love is 'I';

      perfect bliss is 'I';

      being is 'I';

      consciousness is 'I';

      tranquility is 'I';

      purity is 'I';

      that which is unique

      and beyond the scope of the Vedas is 'I';

      pure consciousness, the source of all, is 'I'.

      This represents quite a big change in that verse.
      The previous translation was saying
      an abundance of knowledge, an abundance of love, etc.

      David gave the reason for the big change as follows:

      "There is a particularly interesting revision of
      verse twelve which you quoted. I had originally
      taken a Tamil reading of the verse which lead to an
      abundance of 'abundance' in the verse. It now seems
      that Sorupananda was probably adding a Sanskrit
      ending to his Tamil phrases, making them
      declarations. It is the same ending that makes
      Sivoham mean 'Siva am I' I have therefore rewritten
      this verse completely. I enclose the current
      version, which I hope is the last."

      Take care,

      with Love,

      Michael L.