Swami Chidananda on the need for effort/practice

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30 1:06 PM
      "It is as if a poor man is living over a treasure. One day a sage
      tells him that ten feet under the small plot of land where he is
      sitting, a treasure is buried. That means that the poor man is
      actually very wealthy. But until he digs down those ten feet, he is
      as poor a man as he ever was. Even if he digs 9 feet 11 inches, he is
      still poor. It is only when he has dug the full ten feet and puts his
      hands on the treasure that he is wealthy beyond his fondest dreams."
    • John Metzger
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
        http://salon.com/mwt/feature/2002/09/30/palmo/index.html

      • Tony
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
          Hi Bob,

          Beautiful quote. Reminded me of Eckhart Tolle's opening statement in The
          Power Of Now:

          A beggar had been sitting by the side of a road for over thirty years. One
          day a stranger walked by. "Spare some change?" mumbled the beggar,
          mechanically holding out his old baseball cap. "I have nothing to give you,"
          said the stranger. Then he asked: "What's that you are sitting on?"
          "Nothing," replied the beggar. "Just an old box. I have been sitting on it
          for as long as I can remember." "Ever looked inside?" asked the stranger.
          "No," said the beggar. "What's the point? There's nothing in there." "Have a
          look inside," insisted the stranger. The beggar managed to pry open the lid.
          With astonishment, disbelief, and elation, he saw that the box was filled
          with gold.

          Do you know the source of this quote?

          ...Tony