Meditation Class 9/30/02

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2002
      The teachers strike has been averted and there will be class tonight.
      It will be held in the Haverford Middle School, Room 208, 6:30--8pm.
      This is the same room we have been in for years, and is very
      non-condusive to meditation. Can you imagine amy worse "vibes" than
      could be found in an ancient Middle School classroom? Actually, the
      room is charming, as the teacher is a really imaginative History
      teacher who has the kids do wonderful projects that flavor the room
      differently almost every time we are in it. One night we may walk in
      and find it decorated with ancient Roman statues, pictures and
      displays, that the kids have created themselves. The next class may
      feel like we walked into ancient Egypt. In any event, we always have
      75 year-old chairs to sit in, poor heating/air conditioning, a fire
      company right across the street that often provides amazing alarming
      distractions, people laughing or talking loudly in the hall, or many
      other types of concentration-breakers. This goes very well with our
      premise that meditating 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes at
      night are very fine, but what about the other 23-20? So, we not only
      get to do guided meditations, which are very easy to focus on; we get
      to experience ways to keep our focus amid distractions, which is
      very advantagous to practically applying meditation to "real life".
      So, if there are no distractions, it will be good, and if there
      are, it will be good. It's all good! So, I'm very glad to be able to
      say "I look forward to seeing you in class", and unlike when I was a
      student, really mean it.
    • Tony
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2002
        Test Mail.

        Back to normal?

        ...Tony
      • Tony
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2002
          Hi JWMeritt,

          I could not quite understand your post. Could you explain it for me please?

          Thanks...Tony

          Curiouser and Curiouser?
          "'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it
          means just what I choose it to mean--neither more or less.' 'The question
          is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean different things.' 'The
          question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master--that's all.'"

          --Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

          In a message dated 09/28/2002 8:25:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Tony"
          <tosime@b...> writes:

          > When you're at peace, you radiate a different kind of energy than
          > when you're stressed or depressed.

          In my opinion, as well as in the opinions of others, misusing a term which
          has a clear definition ("energy") inappropriately causes folks to
          extrapolate
          from what is said along the lines of the term which is misused leading to
          inaccuracies in thought.

          A lying shame that it has been expanded to this arena...
        • Tony
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
            Hi Jim,

            I forgot to remark on the Alice in Wonderland quote I added to my first
            post.

            I hope you liked the quote and the whole Alice in Wonderland story.

            My interpretation of Humpty Dumpty's statement "...The question is, which is
            to be master - that's all" is that we need to decide if we control words or
            words control us.

            This has a similar ring to the meditation related question, does my mind
            control me, or do I control my mind.

            Do you see a general connection?

            ...Tony