music with meditation

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
      Salut!

      I was wondering if anyone plays
      music during meditation and why...

      There is a local Vipassana meditation
      class where the teacher plays music
      during the meditation. In the past, it
      has generally been asian-influenced
      etheric music, but last night it was
      Japanese flutes and clapper music
      with definite melodies. I don't understand
      why someone would add 'ambience' to
      a practice that would have found a perfectly
      appropriate accompaniment in the already
      present sounds of crickets, distant traffic,
      rumbly-humming furnace, the high-pitched song
      of the lighting, shiftings and stirrings
      of our colleagues, one's own breathing, pulses,
      and creaking joints.

      Anyway, I wonder if there is some aspect of
      Vipassana meditation that would lead one to
      use music during meditation, some aspect I
      don't know about... anyone know?

      Nina
    • Gene Poole
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
        > "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:

        > Salut!
        >
        > I was wondering if anyone plays
        > music during meditation and why...
        >
        > There is a local Vipassana meditation
        > class where the teacher plays music
        > during the meditation. In the past, it
        > has generally been asian-influenced
        > etheric music, but last night it was
        > Japanese flutes and clapper music
        > with definite melodies. I don't understand
        > why someone would add 'ambience' to
        > a practice that would have found a perfectly
        > appropriate accompaniment in the already
        > present sounds of crickets, distant traffic,
        > rumbly-humming furnace, the high-pitched song
        > of the lighting, shiftings and stirrings
        > of our colleagues, one's own breathing, pulses,
        > and creaking joints.
        >
        > Anyway, I wonder if there is some aspect of
        > Vipassana meditation that would lead one to
        > use music during meditation, some aspect I
        > don't know about... anyone know?
        >
        > Nina

        Hi Nina...

        I don't 'know' about this, but I can tell
        you that I personally have a long history
        of using music in conjunction with
        meditation.

        Having a background in electronics, I have
        assembled, whenever needed, hi-fidelity
        quad-channel sound systems... and placed
        the speakers for maximum enjoyment.

        While this is good for music listening, I have
        used it many times as a aid to meditation...
        not so much for myself, but as a way of
        obliterating the 'internal conversation' for
        my clients and visitors.

        Having tried many forms of music, I have
        found that certain 'techno' styles work best
        for this purpose. The music 'entrains' the
        mind of the meditator, effectively removing
        the internal arguments which are the usual
        (torturous and inaudible) background.

        Relieved of the usual self-stifling, a person
        will experience thrilling release; this is an
        liberating experience, and for many, has been
        their first introduction to the self-clearing
        of meditation.

        After this experience is had, I point out how
        the sheer enjoyment is not so much of the
        music, but instead, of the freedom from
        internal argument. This is usually comprehended,
        and at this point, meditation is available
        when desired.

        I have had a few experiences of conflict
        about this, with meditation 'purists', who
        have been taught to follow strict rules;
        and I can report, that after experiencing
        my 'meditation music' session, that there
        is agreement to its usefulness... as a
        method of induction, as introduction to
        'how to enjoy oneself'.

        Years ago, I had the pleasure of attending
        a small, private meditation session, which
        was conducted by a Tibetan Lama. He
        chanted and 'played' skull-drums, flute and
        bells during the session. His chanting was
        in Tibetan, but yet, I went to the exact place
        that he described. I was able to check on this
        after the session.

        There is no doubt, for me at least, that
        various methods can be used to entrain
        the awareness of a person, for the purpose
        of clearing the way for that person to learn
        the way of self-clearing. Music is probably
        the most accessible of those ways.

        My approach, as I have described above,
        generally does not use music which can be
        described as 'soothing meditation music';
        instead, I choose (carefully!) music which
        evokes the brilliant thunder of silence...

        ==Gene Poole==
      • Swami-G
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
          <murrkis@y...> wrote:
          > Salut!
          >
          > I was wondering if anyone plays
          > music during meditation and why...
          >
          > There is a local Vipassana meditation
          > class where the teacher plays music
          > during the meditation. In the past, it
          > has generally been asian-influenced
          > etheric music, but last night it was
          > Japanese flutes and clapper music
          > with definite melodies. I don't understand
          > why someone would add 'ambience' to
          > a practice that would have found a perfectly
          > appropriate accompaniment in the already
          > present sounds of crickets, distant traffic,
          > rumbly-humming furnace, the high-pitched song
          > of the lighting, shiftings and stirrings
          > of our colleagues, one's own breathing, pulses,
          > and creaking joints.
          >
          > Anyway, I wonder if there is some aspect of
          > Vipassana meditation that would lead one to
          > use music during meditation, some aspect I
          > don't know about... anyone know?
          >
          > Nina

          SG: Perhaps he felt that others weren't still enough to have that
          subtle focus as yet...... Who knows......

          the only way to uncover why would be to ask the facilitator
          directly ..... other wise we may only speculate.

          Om
        • devianandi
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
            <murrkis@y...> wrote:
            > Salut!
            >
            > I was wondering if anyone plays
            > music during meditation and why...
            >
            > There is a local Vipassana meditation
            > class where the teacher plays music
            > during the meditation. In the past, it
            > has generally been asian-influenced
            > etheric music, but last night it was
            > Japanese flutes and clapper music
            > with definite melodies. I don't understand
            > why someone would add 'ambience' to
            > a practice that would have found a perfectly
            > appropriate accompaniment in the already
            > present sounds of crickets, distant traffic,
            > rumbly-humming furnace, the high-pitched song
            > of the lighting, shiftings and stirrings
            > of our colleagues, one's own breathing, pulses,
            > and creaking joints.
            >
            > Anyway, I wonder if there is some aspect of
            > Vipassana meditation that would lead one to
            > use music during meditation, some aspect I
            > don't know about... anyone know?
            >
            > Nina

            devi: if i understand vipassana meditation correctly...Silence..is
            the key to getting enlightenend..i would think that any sounds coming
            from a box etc...would be for beginners so they have something to
            focus on other than the ramblings of a mind or to keep from getting
            bored...also it might be a tool to strengthen the mind or
            consciousess or awareness to get beyond sound...
          • Nina
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2003
              Thanks to Gene, SG, devi, Sarojini, and Sandy for your
              replies to my question about the use of music during
              meditation. It has helped me gain a wider perspective
              of what might be motivating its use. At any rate, SG,
              yes, I will ask the teacher of that class the next
              time I see him...

              Nina