Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: The solution to the root problem all spiritual seekers face

  • Sandeep
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2003

      From: "texasbg2000" <Bigbobgraham@...>
      Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 09:46 PM
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: The solution to the root problem all spiritual seekers face

      <SNIP>

      >  Technically, Self Inquiry is not meditation.  But to still the mind
      > is the ultimate object of
      meditation and that is what Self Inquiry
      > does.  The mind is
      illusion because the mind does not exist outside
      > the existence of the
      thought that the mind exists.

      Yes

      Similarly enlightenment, self-realization, Awakening, etc

      >  With the stilling
      > of the
      thoughts, the mind is seen to be an illusion and the
      > discrimination
      between Self and not-Self (illusion) is ongoing.

      Bobby, this was not clear for moi.
      Would you kindly expand, clarify?

      The discrimination is ongoing?

      A prevailing sense of discrimination, would it not be the very mind at work?

      When not a trace of discrimination, or distinction......... prevails,...........where is the mind or thoughts to be stilled?

      <SNIP>

    • texasbg2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Sandeep
        <sandeepc@b...> wrote:

> [...]

        Hi Sandeep:

        We touched on this before in a previous discussion if you will
        remember. I see discrimination between self and not-self as
        consciousness itself. You see it as a function of mind.

        For my side, discrimination between what is real or illusion (the
        mind) can not be illusion.

        But then I take a very practical view of the issue. I see the naming
        and other mental abilities as the creators of the duality of the
        world and the "I". Once that world of names is stilled there is no
        more world. And the "I" that was in it is left with simple
        beingness and completion, no desires.

        It is a very normal happenstance and I dont subscribe to the idea of
        all the lights and bells going off in Samadhi (for everyone at least).

        I would appreciate some discussion on your take on this.

        Love
        Bobby G.