Re: The solution to the root problem all spiritual seekers face

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2003
      Dear Michael,
      Thank you for wanting to share this with us. But, isn't it accurate to
      say that this is all your own theory/interpretation? To quote David
      Godman, speaking of his "take" on Ramama's method of Self Inquiry,
      from his outstanding Ramana article in the very soon to be released
      new issue of The Inner Traveler:
      "This is self-inquiry, and this is the method by which it should be
      practiced. Hold on to the sense of 'I', and whenever you get
      distracted by other things revert to it again. It is something that
      should be done going on inside you all the time, irrespective of what
      the body is doing."
      No awareness of awareness stuff (which could be seen as no different
      than awareness of breath, or ones thoughts, or a mandala, mantra,
      etc.), and no First Ring, Seventh Ring judgements either.
      I mean you no disrespect or any "bad" adjective at all. But I feel
      that you are presenting this in a very seemingly authorative way as an
      attempt to help, and I think Ramana pointed us to inquire "Who am I",
      and would direct us to ask "Who is being aware of awareness", or
      something similar.

    • Swami-G
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Michael
        L." <uarelove@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        >
        > If one does a good job of facing the negative
        > consequence of not ending the ego
        > and the positive consequence of ending the ego,
        > then the choice is made and
        > even the ego can see the great need for its own end.
        > The ego will need to be reminded and therefore it is
        > good to read the descriptions of liberation everyday.
        >
        > Then the ego preservation strategies either die down
        > or become far less prevalent.
        >
        > Then one can see the Direct Path.
        > Then one's focus will be on the Direct Path.
        > Then one begins the practice of the Direct Path.
        >
        > As far as how to do that
        > and how to turn the mind inward,
        > one will find that in the First Ring Teachings
        > on the Direct Path links Drectory.
        >
        > In order to make it easier to see
        > what quotes should be reflected on everyday, soon I
        > will start a yahoo group with First Ring quotes.

        SG: a Me rose in ignorance -

        dissolves in Nirvikalpa

        IS remains as pure clarity ----

        mind ripples across still waters .
      • texasbg2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
          <uarelove@y...> wrote:
          > At the Ramana Maharshi group
          > Joe asked a question
          > regarding breathing exercises
          > mentioned by Sri Ramana Maharshi
          > in the book Self-Inquiry.

          > Why did he include the mention of less direct and more
          > elaborate methods in this first exposition? The
          > obvious contingent reason is that the disciple for who
          > it was written had been reading books about these
          > various methods and asked questions about them.
          > Perhaps also, in a wider sense, it is appropriate that
          > there should first be a general exposition of various
          > methods before lifelong instruction in that which is
          > prescribed. Certainly the other methods, although
          > described, are scarely recommended.
          >
          > The breath-control that is described is, of course,
          > not mere physical exercise. It is the spiritual
          > significance of the exercise that makes it an
          > elaborate science. 'Science' is indeed the right word
          > Now, a good question to ask is,
          > why do some people who study Sri Ramana's teachings
          > think he advocated methods other than Self-inquiry
          > or aids to Self-inquiry
          > and others such as the author of the above preface
          > and Sri Sadhu Om and myself know that he did not?

          > Take care,
          >
          > with Love,
          >
          > Michael

          Dear Michael:

          As a personal advocate of other methods of meditation than just Self
          Inquiry, I want to post another point of view.

          Because you say "methods", but neglect to say methods of what, I have
          chosen methods of meditation because there is no such thing as a
          method of Self Realization.

          "...the scriptures have rightly declared that action can never
          produce liberation."-Vivekachudamani p. 211 of the "Collected Works
          of Ramana Maharshi".

          Technically, Self Inquiry is not meditation. But to still the mind
          is the ultimate object of meditation and that is what Self Inquiry
          does. The mind is illusion because the mind does not exist outside
          the existence of the thought that the mind exists. With the stilling
          of the thoughts, the mind is seen to be an illusion and the
          discrimination between Self and not-Self (illusion) is ongoing.

          Breath control is a good calming practice before beginning any
          meditation or Self Inquiry.

          I realize that your object is to make the teachings of Sri Ramana
          more accessible and your love is apparent. But though other methods
          are not advocated or dealt with extensively you should remember that
          not everyone is fit for Self Inquiry and He did outline other
          practices till fitness is achieved. To be thorough, it would be good
          to mention that.

          Love,
          Bobby G.