Re: Picture

  • devianandi
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 28, 2003
      bobby: your so inspiring...a painter
      > > and a yogi.
      >
      > Thanks Devi. Here is the advice. Keep meditatiing and keep
      > painting. If the universed wants you to get better you will.
      >
      > Love
      > Bobby G.

      thanks bobby, thats good advice and i tell myself the same thing
      quite often...like i said i really need to take some lessons and i
      have been feeling like that for a long time, and last month, the
      universe provided me with jeanette la cru, she's becoming a popular
      painter here in norther california, who gave a free demo at a gallery
      around here,,i stood there for about two hours just watching her
      paint..(i was the only one)..hey are you interested in putting some
      of your work in a prestigous gallery in a resort and spa town here?
      i'd love to represent you in california. how about it? smiles
    • devianandi
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 28, 2003
        If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

        Happy moments, praise God.
        Difficult moments, seek God.
        Quiet moments, worship God.
        Painful moments, trust God.
        Every moment, thank God.

        Pass this message to seven people except you and me.
        You will receive a miracle tomorrow (just do it)
      • texasbg2000
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 28, 2003
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, devianandi
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > bobby: your so inspiring...a painter
          > > > and a yogi.
          > >
          > > Thanks Devi. Here is the advice. Keep meditatiing and keep
          > > painting. If the universed wants you to get better you will.
          > >
          > > Love
          > > Bobby G.
          >
          > thanks bobby, thats good advice and i tell myself the same thing
          > quite often...like i said i really need to take some lessons and i
          > have been feeling like that for a long time, and last month, the
          > universe provided me with jeanette la cru, she's becoming a popular
          > painter here in norther california, who gave a free demo at a
          gallery
          > around here,,i stood there for about two hours just watching her
          > paint..(i was the only one)..hey are you interested in putting some
          > of your work in a prestigous gallery in a resort and spa town here?
          > i'd love to represent you in california. how about it? smiles

          Northern Cal sounds great. I was off to visit Oregon Four years ago
          when I was halted by the beauty of Moab Utah and then Wyoming and
          then New Mexico. so years later I still have that to do.

          Do You think those paintings of the west would go over there where
          you are? I still have them all, I never sell anything.
          Bobby G.
        • devianandi
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 29, 2003

            > Northern Cal sounds great. I was off to visit Oregon Four years
            ago
            > when I was halted by the beauty of Moab Utah and then Wyoming and
            > then New Mexico. so years later I still have that to do.
            >
            > Do You think those paintings of the west would go over there where
            > you are? I still have them all, I never sell anything.
            > Bobby G.

            devi:

            http://www.leeyoungmangalleries.com/

            this is one of the more prestigous galleries around here.maybe take a
            look and see if you compare..some of your landscapes seem *generic*,
            in other words they look like they could be california
            scenerey...thats a good thing...theres a lady named camille that
            studied for five years with your teacher henshe...why haven't you
            sold your paintings? when you paint, do you paint with the
            thought ..what will the public buy?....i noticed that you have one
            painiting, is it a mission,?,,it looked very good but i couldn't get
            it enlarged,,theres a woman here gail salituri who makes a fortune
            selling paintings of missions....are your paintings framed? do you
            have any 9x12s?
          • texasbg2000
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 29, 2003
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              > > Northern Cal sounds great. I was off to visit Oregon Four years
              > ago
              > > when I was halted by the beauty of Moab Utah and then Wyoming and
              > > then New Mexico. so years later I still have that to do.
              > >
              > > Do You think those paintings of the west would go over there
              where
              > > you are? I still have them all, I never sell anything.
              > > Bobby G.
              >
              > devi:
              >
              > http://www.leeyoungmangalleries.com/
              >
              > this is one of the more prestigous galleries around here.maybe take
              > look and see if you compare..some of your landscapes seem
              *generic*,
              > in other words they look like they could be california
              > scenerey...thats a good thing...theres a lady named camille that
              > studied for five years with your teacher henshe...why haven't you
              > sold your paintings? when you paint, do you paint with the
              > thought ..what will the public buy?....i noticed that you have one
              > painiting, is it a mission,?,,it looked very good but i couldn't
              get
              > it enlarged,,theres a woman here gail salituri who makes a fortune
              > selling paintings of missions....are your paintings framed? do you
              > have any 9x12s?

              Hi Devi:

              Thank you for looking into that and getting the link.

              It is not that I never sell but I seldom do. I do mostly commissions
              and the paintings that I post here are just for myself. I have
              gravitated more towards the painting for myself so much now that a
              gallery would be good. Things change you know and life is long. It
              is good to take new directions sometimes. Perhaps that gallery will
              want my work and I will move there for the rest of life. Who knows?

              In fact my definition of enlightenment is knowing everything is new.

              And yes I have lots of framed pieces. I made most of them. I like
              frames but I am not good at making them.

              And dozens of small pieces.

              And large ones. I will past a large on in the photos section from
              Arches.

              Thanks again for your interest.

              Love,
              Bobby G.
            • Jim Clark
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 29, 2003

                Hello group,

                As your newest addition to this society, I don't know much about you, but just in case it is appropriate that I introduce myself I shall attempt to do so.

                I was born in 1948, grew up in Oklahoma City, a fairly regular attendee of a Southern Baptist Church until I went away to college at the University of Texas at Austin as a Math Major. My attendance was made possible via an NROTC scholarship; thus, after graduating I served my obligatory sentence as a Naval Officer, including two tours in Viet Nam. During that period I became a fan of the writings of a various mystics, most especially Alan Watts. I spent my last tour in San Diego where I broadened my interests to other writers, including Lawrence LeShan, Jane Roberts, Edgar Cayce, Ouspenski, etc. I attended as many lectures and classes on psychic phenomenon and similar topics as I could; I also took up Yoga, studied as many religions, philosophies, and practiced as many exercises as my little mind could endure. I have had enough psychic experiences to know that they are genuine, and believe strongly in the value of meditation.

                I am currently a Senior Software Engineer living alone in Los Angeles, California.

                I have attempted through the years to be self-critical so as to assure steady, balanced, growth, yet have succeeded in experiencing my share of madness and “folly”. I continue to strive for enough stability to be meaningful, without losing the ability to explore interesting new ideas. Tolerance of everyone else’s point of view is the means by which I assure my continued ability to piss virtually everyone off.

                My favorite quote is by the Mathematician and Philosopher Alfred North Whitehead:

                “The Universe is vast. Nothing is more curious than the self-satisfied dogmatism with which mankind at each period of its history cherishes the delusion of the finality of existing modes of knowledge. Skeptics and believers are alike. At this moment scientists and skeptics are the leading dogmatists. Advance in detail is admitted; fundamental novelty is barred. This dogmatic common sense is the death of philosophic adventure. The Universe is vast.”

                I look forward to hearing from those of you willing to share your ideas and experiences.

                Jim

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 29, 2003
                  Dear Jim,
                  I really enjoyed your intro, and appreciate all you so eloquently
                  shared. The quote by Whitehead is new to me, and it's "A" quality.
                  Actually, although it's very "deep", it also made me smile as I
                  witnessed it bringing thoughts similar to "Tell it like it is
                  brother!" to mind. Anyway, I hope this is just the start of an ongoing
                  mutual exploration of consciousness evolution, or some similar
                  adjective. I'm glad you're here. Welcome.

                • carolina112900
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 30, 2003
                    --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Clark"
                    <jclark310@c...> wrote:
                    > Hello group,

                    Hello Jim,

                    I enjoyed reading your introduction
                    and glad you shared some of your
                    story.

                    > As your newest addition to this society, I don't know much about
                    you, but
                    > just in case it is appropriate that I introduce myself I shall
                    attempt to do
                    > so.
                    >

                    > I was born in 1948, grew up in Oklahoma City, a fairly regular
                    attendee of a
                    > Southern Baptist Church until I went away to college at the
                    University of
                    > Texas at Austin as a Math Major. My attendance was made possible
                    via an
                    > NROTC scholarship; thus, after graduating I served my obligatory
                    sentence as
                    > a Naval Officer, including two tours in Viet Nam. During that
                    period I
                    > became a fan of the writings of a various mystics, most especially
                    Alan
                    > Watts. I spent my last tour in San Diego where I broadened my
                    interests to
                    > other writers, including Lawrence LeShan, Jane Roberts, Edgar Cayce,
                    > Ouspenski, etc. I attended as many lectures and classes on psychic
                    > phenomenon and similar topics as I could; I also took up Yoga,
                    studied as
                    > many religions, philosophies, and practiced as many exercises as my
                    little
                    > mind could endure. I have had enough psychic experiences to know
                    that they
                    > are genuine, and believe strongly in the value of meditation.

                    Can you talk more about your knowledge that
                    psychic experiences are genuine. Do you
                    think that they mean anything other than
                    what the basic human senses provide?

                    What do you feel is the value of meditation?

                    > I am currently a Senior Software Engineer living alone in Los
                    Angeles,
                    > California.
                    >

                    > I have attempted through the years to be self-critical so as to
                    assure
                    > steady, balanced, growth, yet have succeeded in experiencing my
                    share of
                    > madness and "folly". I continue to strive for enough stability to be
                    > meaningful, without losing the ability to explore interesting new
                    ideas.

                    > Tolerance of everyone else's point of view is the means by which I
                    assure my
                    > continued ability to piss virtually everyone off.

                    That is interesting how you put that.
                    And is a good discussion starter...tolerance.
                    Can you say more about how you piss everyone
                    off as a result of your tolerance?
                    How do you know they are pissed off?
                    It is always interesting to me how we
                    interpret other's reactions.

                    > My favorite quote is by the Mathematician and Philosopher Alfred
                    North
                    > Whitehead:
                    >
                    > "The Universe is vast. Nothing is more curious than the self-
                    satisfied
                    > dogmatism with which mankind at each period of its history
                    cherishes the
                    > delusion of the finality of existing modes of knowledge. Skeptics
                    and
                    > believers are alike. At this moment scientists and skeptics are the
                    leading
                    > dogmatists. Advance in detail is admitted; fundamental novelty is
                    barred.
                    > This dogmatic common sense is the death of philosophic adventure.
                    The
                    > Universe is vast."

                    I would love to hear more about why this
                    is your favorite quote....what does it mean
                    to you?

                    Thank you and welcome, Jim

                    blessings,

                    Freyja

                    > I look forward to hearing from those of you willing to share your
                    ideas and
                    > experiences.
                    >
                    > Jim

                    Service.
                  • Swami-G
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 30, 2003
                      Clark" <jclark310@c...> wrote:
                      > Hello group,
                      >

                      > Tolerance of everyone else's point of view is the means by
                      which I assure my continued ability to piss virtually everyone off.

                      SG: why do you see this as an ability to piss everyone off ?

                      this is an interesting statement .....

                      Om in love
                    • jimedclark
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 30, 2003
                        Bob, Freyja, and Om; thanks for the welcome.

                        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "carolina112900"
                        <freyjartist@a...> wrote:

                        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Clark" >
                        Can you talk more about your knowledge that
                        > psychic experiences are genuine. Do you
                        > think that they mean anything other than
                        > what the basic human senses provide?

                        Psychic experiences definitely provide more than the five senses. I
                        assure you that I was as skeptical as I could reasonably be with
                        regard to these events, but in time there was no question in my mind.

                        Yet, I feel compelled to add, that in my view (in part thanks to my
                        readings), I have come to the conclusion that the importance of these
                        events is essentially to awaken us to the fact that we live in a much
                        bigger universe than we are inclined to realize otherwise, and that
                        our potential for growth is likewise grander. Lawrence LeShann
                        pointed out in "Mediums, Mystics, and Physicists: Toward a New Theory
                        of the Paranormal" that psychic manifestations were fairly common
                        among students who performed mental work under Zen Masters, for
                        example. The masters typically regarded these "side effects" as means
                        by which our lower selves distract us from the more important goal of
                        the meditation exercises. This brings me to the next question:

                        > What do you feel is the value of meditation?

                        Meditation serves many purposes, not the least of which is to bring
                        us into greater "being", that is, to become more a person whose
                        actions are based on our personal conscious choices rather than on
                        mechanical programming. Pardon me if I sound like the software
                        engineer I am, but I think of it as a means of strengthening
                        our "main routines" and minimizing negative imagination and low
                        priority interrupts.

                        > > Tolerance of everyone else's point of view is the means by which
                        > assure my
                        > > continued ability to piss virtually everyone off.
                        > >

                        > That is interesting how you put that.
                        > And is a good discussion starter...tolerance.
                        > Can you say more about how you piss everyone
                        > off as a result of your tolerance?
                        > How do you know they are pissed off?
                        > It is always interesting to me how we
                        > interpret other's reactions.

                        I was partly just trying to be funny. Hopefully, I don't make that
                        many people angry anymore, since I now generally try to keep my ideas
                        to myself. What I meant by that is basically I am usually too
                        scientific and analytical for the "true believers", and too mystical
                        for the scientists. My negative experiences were usually with those
                        who wanted me to be open to their ideas to the exclusion of others,
                        and I am cautious about buying into that. As Sri Aurubindo said, "The
                        more you insist on the truth of an assertion the louder its opposite
                        screams for acknowledgement."

                        What signs do they give of negative feelings? It depends on which
                        group I piss off: skeptics and pseudo-scientists compare me with
                        those who would buy from snake-oil salesmen, or believe in the Easter
                        bunny, etc. while fundamentalists sometimes play head-games speaking
                        loudly against those who would dare question "God's Word."

                        > > My favorite quote is by the Mathematician and Philosopher Alfred
                        > North
                        > > Whitehead:
                        > >
                        > > "The Universe is vast. Nothing is more curious than the self-
                        > satisfied
                        > > dogmatism with which mankind at each period of its history
                        > cherishes the
                        > > delusion of the finality of existing modes of knowledge. Skeptics
                        > and
                        > > believers are alike. At this moment scientists and skeptics are
                        the
                        > leading
                        > > dogmatists. Advance in detail is admitted; fundamental novelty is
                        > barred.
                        > > This dogmatic common sense is the death of philosophic adventure.
                        > The
                        > > Universe is vast."
                        > >

                        > I would love to hear more about why this
                        > is your favorite quote....what does it mean
                        > to you?

                        For example, I've spoken to many people lately who identify
                        themselves with "true scientific" thinking. They may be open to the
                        idea that science has a long way to go, that we will forever find new
                        paradigms and must always be willing to explore possibilities; they
                        may even accept the possibility that so-called the "paranormal"
                        events such as precognition or telepathy do in fact occur. They then
                        insist, however, that the paranormal can be explained as an extension
                        of the known senses and/or physical laws, under no circumstances is
                        it possible that spirits exist, or that the universe is "aware". No
                        matter how much evidence, personal testimony, etc. I present, I hear
                        the same old responses I used to use when I was a well-trained
                        skeptic. Unless it is written up in a scientific journal somewhere,
                        it didn't happen. In my view, these people live in caves, and I have
                        no doubt that this view is reciprocated.

                        Best regards,

                        Jim
                      • Swami-G
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 30, 2003
                          "jimedclark" <jclark310@c...> wrote:
> [...]
                          they
                          > may even accept the possibility that so-called the "paranormal"
                          > events such as precognition or telepathy do in fact occur. They
                          then
                          > insist, however, that the paranormal can be explained as an
                          extension
                          > of the known senses and/or physical laws, under no
                          circumstances is
                          > it possible that spirits exist, or that the universe is "aware". No
                          > matter how much evidence, personal testimony, etc. I present, I
                          hear
                          > the same old responses I used to use when I was a
                          well-trained
                          > skeptic. Unless it is written up in a scientific journal
                          somewhere,
                          > it didn't happen. In my view, these people live in caves, and I
                          have
                          > no doubt that this view is reciprocated.

                          SG: wherever your attention is pointing that is the avenue
                          open for exploration..... from that point of openness
                          the creative mind expands.......

                          or the avenue willing to be heard as it is the point of
                          referance for that conditional self image ........ if it holds
                          ones self image in place then it is the *right* one......

                          sometimes one exchanges one set of conditioned
                          response for another......

                          eventually they begin to crumble in the light of day and
                          a whole new paradigm emerges .......

                          as long as revolving phenomena is the focal point
                          then there is no stable point of referance other than the
                          current set of belief's and one is apt
                          to do this motion of standing on a roller board
                          identity while juggling the latest mental conceptulization...

                          meditation stops the frenetic action..... the juggling
                          stops....... one steps off the board and begins to
                          see what has always been right here ...... it comes into
                          focus and clarity now that the attention isn't being
                          diverted to image balance or mental jugglings......

                          what is left ? just walking and enjoying the freedom
                          of being unencumbered by the juggling act ......
                        • carolina112900
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 31, 2003
                            Jim,

                            Thank you for taking the time
                            to expand on these topics.

                            We all have a story/stories :-)

                            As Joan Tollifson wrote,

                            "Stories make apparent sense out of
                            what would otherwise be incomprehensible.
                            They give meaning and importance to the
                            fiction of myself and all that I identify
                            with: my family, my civilization, my
                            ethnic group, my political leanings, my
                            sexual orientation, my subculture, my
                            gender, my generation. Stories are entertaining.
                            God apparently enjoys drama, play, hide and seek,
                            lost and found.

                            Sometimes a story helps to expose and dissolve
                            limitations; sometimes it creates and reinforces
                            them. Stories can lull us to sleep or wake us
                            up, reveal truth or conceal it. The same story
                            can serve different functions at different moments.
                            It's a great art to discern when a story can serve
                            different functions at different moments. It's
                            a great art to discern when a story is breaking
                            open the heart and waking us up, and when it is
                            lulling us to sleep, perpetuating illusion and
                            generating suffering. Likewise, it is a
                            great art to discern the difference between
                            actuality and concept. The conceptual filters
                            through which we think about everything are so
                            ubiquitous and so seemingly real that it's easy
                            to mistake them for actuality. No separate,
                            independent, solid thing really exists, except,
                            apparently, in the story."

                            Your presence is a nice addition here.

                            cheers,
                            Freyja

                            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jimedclark"

                          • Jim Clark
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 31, 2003
                              Freyja,

                              Thanks. I am hoping to hear stories from others here. I've heard many from others over the years and they never cease to fascinate me.

                              Jim

                              <jclark310@c...> wrote:
> [...]

                              new
                              > paradigms and must always be willing to explore possibilities; they
                              > may even accept the possibility that so-called the "paranormal"
                              > events such as precognition or telepathy do in fact occur. They
                              then
                              > insist, however, that the paranormal can be explained as an
                              extension
                              > of the known senses and/or physical laws, under no circumstances is
                              > it possible that spirits exist, or that the universe is "aware". No
                              > matter how much evidence, personal testimony, etc. I present, I
                              hear
                              > the same old responses I used to use when I was a well-trained
                              > skeptic. Unless it is written up in a scientific journal somewhere,
                              > it didn't happen. In my view, these people live in caves, and I
                              have
                              > no doubt that this view is reciprocated.

                            • Sandy
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 5 8:01 PM
                                Welcome Jim, I am new to the list as well, and also live in So. CA. I
                                think this is going to be a great list to be part of.

                                Hugs,

                                Sandy