Re: Picture

  • devianandi
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 27, 2003

      > A little bit of a story. Melody and I were corresponding at the
      same
      > time I was finishing that painting. I needed a name and it seemed
      > right. It was the right note of mystery and the excahge was very
      > beautiful.
      >
      > I was painting here in my hometown in Texas and spied the little
      girl
      > and her sister playing with a new puppy. They were playing around
      me
      > while I painted and I took a photo to remember. The painting was a
      > blessing.
      >
      > Love,
      > Bobby G.

      devi: bobby, i was blown away by your paintings...and after looking
      at all yours i went to your teachers site and was blown away again..i
      wish i could take some lessons from you....so inspiring...a painter
      and a yogi.
    • texasbg2000
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 27, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, devianandi
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > > A little bit of a story. Melody and I were corresponding at the
        > same
        > > time I was finishing that painting. I needed a name and it
        seemed
        > > right. It was the right note of mystery and the excahge was very
        > > beautiful.
        > >
        > > I was painting here in my hometown in Texas and spied the little
        > girl
        > > and her sister playing with a new puppy. They were playing
        around
        > me
        > > while I painted and I took a photo to remember. The painting was
        > > blessing.
        > >
        > > Love,
        > > Bobby G.
        >
        > devi: bobby, i was blown away by your paintings...and after looking
        > at all yours i went to your teachers site and was blown away
        again..i
        > wish i could take some lessons from you....so inspiring...a painter
        > and a yogi.

        Thanks Devi. Here is the advice. Keep meditatiing and keep
        painting. If the universed wants you to get better you will.

        Love
        Bobby G.
      • Onniko
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 27, 2003

          Thanks for the site address, Bob. Bobby G, I love your paintings. I
          added the address to my favorites list. The one in the photo album
          here caught my attention and I found myself kind of mesmerized by
          it, not just the interesting kind of mysterious quality but also I
          just really liked the way it was painted. It's a very sensuous
          realism that a viewer can just wrap their tactile brain around and
          step right into your beautiful world.

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Onniko"
          > <onniko@y...> wrote:
          > > That is a cute baby. There's another picture in there I noticed;
          an
          > > interesting painting called Melody on the Mountain. Is there a
          story
          > > behind that?
          >
          > Dear Onniko,
          > It's by Bobby G, and yes, I think is dedicated to and
          > named after the same Melody who posts on several internet
          > groups dealing with consciousness. More of Bobby G's
          > great art can be found at his site
          > http://www.mentaltree.com/
        • texasbg2000
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 27, 2003
            <onniko@y...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the site address, Bob. Bobby G, I love your paintings. I
            > added the address to my favorites list. The one in the photo album
            > here caught my attention and I found myself kind of mesmerized by
            > it, not just the interesting kind of mysterious quality but also I
            > just really liked the way it was painted. It's a very sensuous
            > realism that a viewer can just wrap their tactile brain around and
            > step right into your beautiful world.

            Thank you Onniko. I will hold your warm words close on the cold
            nights to come.

            Love
            Bobby G.

            > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Onniko"
            > > <onniko@y...> wrote:
            > > > That is a cute baby. There's another picture in there I
            noticed;
            > an
            > > > interesting painting called Melody on the Mountain. Is there a
            > story
            > > > behind that?
            > >
            > > Dear Onniko,
            > > It's by Bobby G, and yes, I think is dedicated to and
            > > named after the same Melody who posts on several internet
            > > groups dealing with consciousness. More of Bobby G's
            > > great art can be found at his site
            > > http://www.mentaltree.com/
          • devianandi
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 28, 2003
              bobby: your so inspiring...a painter
              > > and a yogi.
              >
              > Thanks Devi. Here is the advice. Keep meditatiing and keep
              > painting. If the universed wants you to get better you will.
              >
              > Love
              > Bobby G.

              thanks bobby, thats good advice and i tell myself the same thing
              quite often...like i said i really need to take some lessons and i
              have been feeling like that for a long time, and last month, the
              universe provided me with jeanette la cru, she's becoming a popular
              painter here in norther california, who gave a free demo at a gallery
              around here,,i stood there for about two hours just watching her
              paint..(i was the only one)..hey are you interested in putting some
              of your work in a prestigous gallery in a resort and spa town here?
              i'd love to represent you in california. how about it? smiles
            • devianandi
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 28, 2003
                If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

                Happy moments, praise God.
                Difficult moments, seek God.
                Quiet moments, worship God.
                Painful moments, trust God.
                Every moment, thank God.

                Pass this message to seven people except you and me.
                You will receive a miracle tomorrow (just do it)
              • texasbg2000
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 28, 2003
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > bobby: your so inspiring...a painter
                  > > > and a yogi.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks Devi. Here is the advice. Keep meditatiing and keep
                  > > painting. If the universed wants you to get better you will.
                  > >
                  > > Love
                  > > Bobby G.
                  >
                  > thanks bobby, thats good advice and i tell myself the same thing
                  > quite often...like i said i really need to take some lessons and i
                  > have been feeling like that for a long time, and last month, the
                  > universe provided me with jeanette la cru, she's becoming a popular
                  > painter here in norther california, who gave a free demo at a
                  gallery
                  > around here,,i stood there for about two hours just watching her
                  > paint..(i was the only one)..hey are you interested in putting some
                  > of your work in a prestigous gallery in a resort and spa town here?
                  > i'd love to represent you in california. how about it? smiles

                  Northern Cal sounds great. I was off to visit Oregon Four years ago
                  when I was halted by the beauty of Moab Utah and then Wyoming and
                  then New Mexico. so years later I still have that to do.

                  Do You think those paintings of the west would go over there where
                  you are? I still have them all, I never sell anything.
                  Bobby G.
                • devianandi
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 29, 2003

                    > Northern Cal sounds great. I was off to visit Oregon Four years
                    ago
                    > when I was halted by the beauty of Moab Utah and then Wyoming and
                    > then New Mexico. so years later I still have that to do.
                    >
                    > Do You think those paintings of the west would go over there where
                    > you are? I still have them all, I never sell anything.
                    > Bobby G.

                    devi:

                    http://www.leeyoungmangalleries.com/

                    this is one of the more prestigous galleries around here.maybe take a
                    look and see if you compare..some of your landscapes seem *generic*,
                    in other words they look like they could be california
                    scenerey...thats a good thing...theres a lady named camille that
                    studied for five years with your teacher henshe...why haven't you
                    sold your paintings? when you paint, do you paint with the
                    thought ..what will the public buy?....i noticed that you have one
                    painiting, is it a mission,?,,it looked very good but i couldn't get
                    it enlarged,,theres a woman here gail salituri who makes a fortune
                    selling paintings of missions....are your paintings framed? do you
                    have any 9x12s?
                  • texasbg2000
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 29, 2003
                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                      > > Northern Cal sounds great. I was off to visit Oregon Four years
                      > ago
                      > > when I was halted by the beauty of Moab Utah and then Wyoming and
                      > > then New Mexico. so years later I still have that to do.
                      > >
                      > > Do You think those paintings of the west would go over there
                      where
                      > > you are? I still have them all, I never sell anything.
                      > > Bobby G.
                      >
                      > devi:
                      >
                      > http://www.leeyoungmangalleries.com/
                      >
                      > this is one of the more prestigous galleries around here.maybe take
                      > look and see if you compare..some of your landscapes seem
                      *generic*,
                      > in other words they look like they could be california
                      > scenerey...thats a good thing...theres a lady named camille that
                      > studied for five years with your teacher henshe...why haven't you
                      > sold your paintings? when you paint, do you paint with the
                      > thought ..what will the public buy?....i noticed that you have one
                      > painiting, is it a mission,?,,it looked very good but i couldn't
                      get
                      > it enlarged,,theres a woman here gail salituri who makes a fortune
                      > selling paintings of missions....are your paintings framed? do you
                      > have any 9x12s?

                      Hi Devi:

                      Thank you for looking into that and getting the link.

                      It is not that I never sell but I seldom do. I do mostly commissions
                      and the paintings that I post here are just for myself. I have
                      gravitated more towards the painting for myself so much now that a
                      gallery would be good. Things change you know and life is long. It
                      is good to take new directions sometimes. Perhaps that gallery will
                      want my work and I will move there for the rest of life. Who knows?

                      In fact my definition of enlightenment is knowing everything is new.

                      And yes I have lots of framed pieces. I made most of them. I like
                      frames but I am not good at making them.

                      And dozens of small pieces.

                      And large ones. I will past a large on in the photos section from
                      Arches.

                      Thanks again for your interest.

                      Love,
                      Bobby G.
                    • Jim Clark
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 29, 2003

                        Hello group,

                        As your newest addition to this society, I don't know much about you, but just in case it is appropriate that I introduce myself I shall attempt to do so.

                        I was born in 1948, grew up in Oklahoma City, a fairly regular attendee of a Southern Baptist Church until I went away to college at the University of Texas at Austin as a Math Major. My attendance was made possible via an NROTC scholarship; thus, after graduating I served my obligatory sentence as a Naval Officer, including two tours in Viet Nam. During that period I became a fan of the writings of a various mystics, most especially Alan Watts. I spent my last tour in San Diego where I broadened my interests to other writers, including Lawrence LeShan, Jane Roberts, Edgar Cayce, Ouspenski, etc. I attended as many lectures and classes on psychic phenomenon and similar topics as I could; I also took up Yoga, studied as many religions, philosophies, and practiced as many exercises as my little mind could endure. I have had enough psychic experiences to know that they are genuine, and believe strongly in the value of meditation.

                        I am currently a Senior Software Engineer living alone in Los Angeles, California.

                        I have attempted through the years to be self-critical so as to assure steady, balanced, growth, yet have succeeded in experiencing my share of madness and “folly”. I continue to strive for enough stability to be meaningful, without losing the ability to explore interesting new ideas. Tolerance of everyone else’s point of view is the means by which I assure my continued ability to piss virtually everyone off.

                        My favorite quote is by the Mathematician and Philosopher Alfred North Whitehead:

                        “The Universe is vast. Nothing is more curious than the self-satisfied dogmatism with which mankind at each period of its history cherishes the delusion of the finality of existing modes of knowledge. Skeptics and believers are alike. At this moment scientists and skeptics are the leading dogmatists. Advance in detail is admitted; fundamental novelty is barred. This dogmatic common sense is the death of philosophic adventure. The Universe is vast.”

                        I look forward to hearing from those of you willing to share your ideas and experiences.

                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 29, 2003
                          Dear Jim,
                          I really enjoyed your intro, and appreciate all you so eloquently
                          shared. The quote by Whitehead is new to me, and it's "A" quality.
                          Actually, although it's very "deep", it also made me smile as I
                          witnessed it bringing thoughts similar to "Tell it like it is
                          brother!" to mind. Anyway, I hope this is just the start of an ongoing
                          mutual exploration of consciousness evolution, or some similar
                          adjective. I'm glad you're here. Welcome.

                        • carolina112900
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 30, 2003
                            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Clark"
                            <jclark310@c...> wrote:
                            > Hello group,

                            Hello Jim,

                            I enjoyed reading your introduction
                            and glad you shared some of your
                            story.

                            > As your newest addition to this society, I don't know much about
                            you, but
                            > just in case it is appropriate that I introduce myself I shall
                            attempt to do
                            > so.
                            >

                            > I was born in 1948, grew up in Oklahoma City, a fairly regular
                            attendee of a
                            > Southern Baptist Church until I went away to college at the
                            University of
                            > Texas at Austin as a Math Major. My attendance was made possible
                            via an
                            > NROTC scholarship; thus, after graduating I served my obligatory
                            sentence as
                            > a Naval Officer, including two tours in Viet Nam. During that
                            period I
                            > became a fan of the writings of a various mystics, most especially
                            Alan
                            > Watts. I spent my last tour in San Diego where I broadened my
                            interests to
                            > other writers, including Lawrence LeShan, Jane Roberts, Edgar Cayce,
                            > Ouspenski, etc. I attended as many lectures and classes on psychic
                            > phenomenon and similar topics as I could; I also took up Yoga,
                            studied as
                            > many religions, philosophies, and practiced as many exercises as my
                            little
                            > mind could endure. I have had enough psychic experiences to know
                            that they
                            > are genuine, and believe strongly in the value of meditation.

                            Can you talk more about your knowledge that
                            psychic experiences are genuine. Do you
                            think that they mean anything other than
                            what the basic human senses provide?

                            What do you feel is the value of meditation?

                            > I am currently a Senior Software Engineer living alone in Los
                            Angeles,
                            > California.
                            >

                            > I have attempted through the years to be self-critical so as to
                            assure
                            > steady, balanced, growth, yet have succeeded in experiencing my
                            share of
                            > madness and "folly". I continue to strive for enough stability to be
                            > meaningful, without losing the ability to explore interesting new
                            ideas.

                            > Tolerance of everyone else's point of view is the means by which I
                            assure my
                            > continued ability to piss virtually everyone off.

                            That is interesting how you put that.
                            And is a good discussion starter...tolerance.
                            Can you say more about how you piss everyone
                            off as a result of your tolerance?
                            How do you know they are pissed off?
                            It is always interesting to me how we
                            interpret other's reactions.

                            > My favorite quote is by the Mathematician and Philosopher Alfred
                            North
                            > Whitehead:
                            >
                            > "The Universe is vast. Nothing is more curious than the self-
                            satisfied
                            > dogmatism with which mankind at each period of its history
                            cherishes the
                            > delusion of the finality of existing modes of knowledge. Skeptics
                            and
                            > believers are alike. At this moment scientists and skeptics are the
                            leading
                            > dogmatists. Advance in detail is admitted; fundamental novelty is
                            barred.
                            > This dogmatic common sense is the death of philosophic adventure.
                            The
                            > Universe is vast."

                            I would love to hear more about why this
                            is your favorite quote....what does it mean
                            to you?

                            Thank you and welcome, Jim

                            blessings,

                            Freyja

                            > I look forward to hearing from those of you willing to share your
                            ideas and
                            > experiences.
                            >
                            > Jim

                            Service.
                          • Swami-G
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 30, 2003
                              Clark" <jclark310@c...> wrote:
                              > Hello group,
                              >

                              > Tolerance of everyone else's point of view is the means by
                              which I assure my continued ability to piss virtually everyone off.

                              SG: why do you see this as an ability to piss everyone off ?

                              this is an interesting statement .....

                              Om in love
                            • jimedclark
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 30, 2003
                                Bob, Freyja, and Om; thanks for the welcome.

                                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "carolina112900"
                                <freyjartist@a...> wrote:

                                > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Clark" >
                                Can you talk more about your knowledge that
                                > psychic experiences are genuine. Do you
                                > think that they mean anything other than
                                > what the basic human senses provide?

                                Psychic experiences definitely provide more than the five senses. I
                                assure you that I was as skeptical as I could reasonably be with
                                regard to these events, but in time there was no question in my mind.

                                Yet, I feel compelled to add, that in my view (in part thanks to my
                                readings), I have come to the conclusion that the importance of these
                                events is essentially to awaken us to the fact that we live in a much
                                bigger universe than we are inclined to realize otherwise, and that
                                our potential for growth is likewise grander. Lawrence LeShann
                                pointed out in "Mediums, Mystics, and Physicists: Toward a New Theory
                                of the Paranormal" that psychic manifestations were fairly common
                                among students who performed mental work under Zen Masters, for
                                example. The masters typically regarded these "side effects" as means
                                by which our lower selves distract us from the more important goal of
                                the meditation exercises. This brings me to the next question:

                                > What do you feel is the value of meditation?

                                Meditation serves many purposes, not the least of which is to bring
                                us into greater "being", that is, to become more a person whose
                                actions are based on our personal conscious choices rather than on
                                mechanical programming. Pardon me if I sound like the software
                                engineer I am, but I think of it as a means of strengthening
                                our "main routines" and minimizing negative imagination and low
                                priority interrupts.

                                > > Tolerance of everyone else's point of view is the means by which
                                > assure my
                                > > continued ability to piss virtually everyone off.
                                > >

                                > That is interesting how you put that.
                                > And is a good discussion starter...tolerance.
                                > Can you say more about how you piss everyone
                                > off as a result of your tolerance?
                                > How do you know they are pissed off?
                                > It is always interesting to me how we
                                > interpret other's reactions.

                                I was partly just trying to be funny. Hopefully, I don't make that
                                many people angry anymore, since I now generally try to keep my ideas
                                to myself. What I meant by that is basically I am usually too
                                scientific and analytical for the "true believers", and too mystical
                                for the scientists. My negative experiences were usually with those
                                who wanted me to be open to their ideas to the exclusion of others,
                                and I am cautious about buying into that. As Sri Aurubindo said, "The
                                more you insist on the truth of an assertion the louder its opposite
                                screams for acknowledgement."

                                What signs do they give of negative feelings? It depends on which
                                group I piss off: skeptics and pseudo-scientists compare me with
                                those who would buy from snake-oil salesmen, or believe in the Easter
                                bunny, etc. while fundamentalists sometimes play head-games speaking
                                loudly against those who would dare question "God's Word."

                                > > My favorite quote is by the Mathematician and Philosopher Alfred
                                > North
                                > > Whitehead:
                                > >
                                > > "The Universe is vast. Nothing is more curious than the self-
                                > satisfied
                                > > dogmatism with which mankind at each period of its history
                                > cherishes the
                                > > delusion of the finality of existing modes of knowledge. Skeptics
                                > and
                                > > believers are alike. At this moment scientists and skeptics are
                                the
                                > leading
                                > > dogmatists. Advance in detail is admitted; fundamental novelty is
                                > barred.
                                > > This dogmatic common sense is the death of philosophic adventure.
                                > The
                                > > Universe is vast."
                                > >

                                > I would love to hear more about why this
                                > is your favorite quote....what does it mean
                                > to you?

                                For example, I've spoken to many people lately who identify
                                themselves with "true scientific" thinking. They may be open to the
                                idea that science has a long way to go, that we will forever find new
                                paradigms and must always be willing to explore possibilities; they
                                may even accept the possibility that so-called the "paranormal"
                                events such as precognition or telepathy do in fact occur. They then
                                insist, however, that the paranormal can be explained as an extension
                                of the known senses and/or physical laws, under no circumstances is
                                it possible that spirits exist, or that the universe is "aware". No
                                matter how much evidence, personal testimony, etc. I present, I hear
                                the same old responses I used to use when I was a well-trained
                                skeptic. Unless it is written up in a scientific journal somewhere,
                                it didn't happen. In my view, these people live in caves, and I have
                                no doubt that this view is reciprocated.

                                Best regards,

                                Jim
                              • Swami-G
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 30, 2003
                                  "jimedclark" <jclark310@c...> wrote:
> [...]
                                  they
                                  > may even accept the possibility that so-called the "paranormal"
                                  > events such as precognition or telepathy do in fact occur. They
                                  then
                                  > insist, however, that the paranormal can be explained as an
                                  extension
                                  > of the known senses and/or physical laws, under no
                                  circumstances is
                                  > it possible that spirits exist, or that the universe is "aware". No
                                  > matter how much evidence, personal testimony, etc. I present, I
                                  hear
                                  > the same old responses I used to use when I was a
                                  well-trained
                                  > skeptic. Unless it is written up in a scientific journal
                                  somewhere,
                                  > it didn't happen. In my view, these people live in caves, and I
                                  have
                                  > no doubt that this view is reciprocated.

                                  SG: wherever your attention is pointing that is the avenue
                                  open for exploration..... from that point of openness
                                  the creative mind expands.......

                                  or the avenue willing to be heard as it is the point of
                                  referance for that conditional self image ........ if it holds
                                  ones self image in place then it is the *right* one......

                                  sometimes one exchanges one set of conditioned
                                  response for another......

                                  eventually they begin to crumble in the light of day and
                                  a whole new paradigm emerges .......

                                  as long as revolving phenomena is the focal point
                                  then there is no stable point of referance other than the
                                  current set of belief's and one is apt
                                  to do this motion of standing on a roller board
                                  identity while juggling the latest mental conceptulization...

                                  meditation stops the frenetic action..... the juggling
                                  stops....... one steps off the board and begins to
                                  see what has always been right here ...... it comes into
                                  focus and clarity now that the attention isn't being
                                  diverted to image balance or mental jugglings......

                                  what is left ? just walking and enjoying the freedom
                                  of being unencumbered by the juggling act ......
                                • carolina112900
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 31, 2003
                                    Jim,

                                    Thank you for taking the time
                                    to expand on these topics.

                                    We all have a story/stories :-)

                                    As Joan Tollifson wrote,

                                    "Stories make apparent sense out of
                                    what would otherwise be incomprehensible.
                                    They give meaning and importance to the
                                    fiction of myself and all that I identify
                                    with: my family, my civilization, my
                                    ethnic group, my political leanings, my
                                    sexual orientation, my subculture, my
                                    gender, my generation. Stories are entertaining.
                                    God apparently enjoys drama, play, hide and seek,
                                    lost and found.

                                    Sometimes a story helps to expose and dissolve
                                    limitations; sometimes it creates and reinforces
                                    them. Stories can lull us to sleep or wake us
                                    up, reveal truth or conceal it. The same story
                                    can serve different functions at different moments.
                                    It's a great art to discern when a story can serve
                                    different functions at different moments. It's
                                    a great art to discern when a story is breaking
                                    open the heart and waking us up, and when it is
                                    lulling us to sleep, perpetuating illusion and
                                    generating suffering. Likewise, it is a
                                    great art to discern the difference between
                                    actuality and concept. The conceptual filters
                                    through which we think about everything are so
                                    ubiquitous and so seemingly real that it's easy
                                    to mistake them for actuality. No separate,
                                    independent, solid thing really exists, except,
                                    apparently, in the story."

                                    Your presence is a nice addition here.

                                    cheers,
                                    Freyja

                                    --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jimedclark"

                                  • Jim Clark
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 31, 2003
                                      Freyja,

                                      Thanks. I am hoping to hear stories from others here. I've heard many from others over the years and they never cease to fascinate me.

                                      Jim

                                      <jclark310@c...> wrote:
> [...]

                                      new
                                      > paradigms and must always be willing to explore possibilities; they
                                      > may even accept the possibility that so-called the "paranormal"
                                      > events such as precognition or telepathy do in fact occur. They
                                      then
                                      > insist, however, that the paranormal can be explained as an
                                      extension
                                      > of the known senses and/or physical laws, under no circumstances is
                                      > it possible that spirits exist, or that the universe is "aware". No
                                      > matter how much evidence, personal testimony, etc. I present, I
                                      hear
                                      > the same old responses I used to use when I was a well-trained
                                      > skeptic. Unless it is written up in a scientific journal somewhere,
                                      > it didn't happen. In my view, these people live in caves, and I
                                      have
                                      > no doubt that this view is reciprocated.

                                    • Sandy
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 5, 2003
                                        Welcome Jim, I am new to the list as well, and also live in So. CA. I
                                        think this is going to be a great list to be part of.

                                        Hugs,

                                        Sandy