Re: inner sounds

    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 23, 2002
      Dear John,
      Here's a simple explanation that I found in post #636. This is an
      example of how it is possible to use this groups past posts as a FAQ
      section. There have been so many things discussed in our 1000+ posts,
      that all you have to do is go to the messages section, and type in
      what you are looking for in the search engine, and it will probably
      be there. In any event, we will be posting a much more detailed
      explanation of inner sound techniques on Meditation Station in the
      future, but here is the "Cliff's Notes" version, copied from post 636:

      When placing attention on the inner sounds, using earplugs definitely
      makes it easier. Relax and position yourself in the posture you
      have found to be most condusive to sustaining meditation. Then,
      silently focus with full attention on the (inner) right side. The 3rd
      Ear! As you listen, there are traditionally 10 sounds that will be
      heard, but rather than naming them, which I think may cause mind
      chatter ("Oh, there's that sound, now let's see if the next one will
      appear, etc...), I want to suggest just Witnessing without
      comparisons, judgements, or commentary. When you are aware of a sound
      that is not on the right side, it's OK to let your awareness follow
      it and float where it goes. When it fades away or changes, go back to
      inner right attention. That's really all there is to it, and it
      seems so easy that it would be tempting to discount its potency, but
      it can be a divinely deep experience. There may come a time when 1000
      jet engines could go off right next to you and you won't notice,
      because of the infinite ecstatic nature of your connection with
      sound. It is there. All you need do is become aware of it. Empty,
      Witness, and you will fill with the celestial harmonies that are the
      precursors of Pure Silence.
      "john l." <dhmyt@y...> wrote:
      > hello, could anyone send me the details on how to do the inner
      sound
      meditation? I could not find it on the web site. thankyou,
      johnleschitz

    • Tony
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 15, 2002
        Hi Eve,

        The sound you can hear comes up not only during meditation but at any time
        you become present enough to "listen" to yourself.

        I have found I have up to 5 or more different voices depending on the
        situation and my frame of mind. My typical voice is a logical, reasoning
        type of person - a bit like a college professor I think! I sometimes have
        the voice of child-like astonishment. A very long time ago (over 25 years) I
        was very surprised to hear a dark, mysterious, frightening voice telling me
        to stop playing mind games and go to sleep.

        As you get to know your different voices you get a better picture of your
        frame of mind at the time. The next stage might involve switching voices
        when you need a different way of looking at a situation. A further stage
        still might be inventing a new voice to achieve a desired effect. But maybe
        that is going too far in the wrong direction. Keeping it simple might be a
        better approach. If it happens we notice a change in voice at any time we
        can simply take that into account.

        ...Tony