Re: Journal Entry-Eve

  • eveneon
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 23, 2002
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "Tony" <tosime@l...> wrote:
      > Hi Eve,
      >
      > Thanks so much for your journal entries. I look forward to reading
      them.
      > Permit me to comment...
      >
      > You've noticed that to relax in meditation you simply signal your
      body to
      > relax and you start a relaxation process. As you go deeper into the
      > relaxation, you may notice you reach a point where you no longer
      feel
      > yourself relaxing. You body is so relaxed that it no longer sends
      you
      > signals of deeper levels of relaxation.
      >
      > As I use the inner sounds method, I find that I can still detect my
      body
      > relaxing past the point of physical feedback. This has prompted me
      > continue signaling my body to relax even after I cannot physically
      feel
      > myself relaxing. I find that this way I can go deeper into my
      meditation.

      > There is one important point though. You have to sharpen your
      attention as
      > you become more relaxed. This sharpening of attention allows you to
      fully
      > concentrate on the meditation and keep the key muscles you need to
      stay
      > upright supporting you. Also it prevents your mind interpreting the
      relaxed
      > state as a signal to fall asleep.
      >
      > The more I practice this the better I become at it and the deeper my
      > meditations. Also my mind chatter is much less controlling.
      >
      > Have you tried this? My aim is to continue my physical relaxation
      and mental
      > focus for the whole duration of my session. Right now, I tend to
      stop about
      > two thirds the way through and flatten out.
      >
      > ...Tony

      Hi Tony,
      Thanks for your comments. I don't know if I sharpen my attention as
      my body relaxes. I mean, I never noticed it before, so I guess I
      probally don't. But I will try it. Although I have been meditating
      for a while, I feel like I am still very much a beginner. I still
      have a wandering mind when I am trying to meditate, it's just a
      matter of how long it is before I notice and bring myself back.
      Thank you for your suggestions and for posting your journals. I
      enjoy reading them and often find them helpful with my own
      meditation.
      Eve
    • Tony
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 15, 2002
        Hi Eve,

        The sound you can hear comes up not only during meditation but at any time
        you become present enough to "listen" to yourself.

        I have found I have up to 5 or more different voices depending on the
        situation and my frame of mind. My typical voice is a logical, reasoning
        type of person - a bit like a college professor I think! I sometimes have
        the voice of child-like astonishment. A very long time ago (over 25 years) I
        was very surprised to hear a dark, mysterious, frightening voice telling me
        to stop playing mind games and go to sleep.

        As you get to know your different voices you get a better picture of your
        frame of mind at the time. The next stage might involve switching voices
        when you need a different way of looking at a situation. A further stage
        still might be inventing a new voice to achieve a desired effect. But maybe
        that is going too far in the wrong direction. Keeping it simple might be a
        better approach. If it happens we notice a change in voice at any time we
        can simply take that into account.

        ...Tony