Noumenon: A Review

  • Jerry Katz
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2002
      A Review

      ~~~

      The Noumenon Journal: Nondual Perspectives on
      Transformation, is published and edited by Dr. Kriben
      Pillay, in Wandsbeck, South Africa. (Ordering
      information below, for those who wish to support
      Pillay's work.)

      The Summer 2001/2002 issue marks the 17th issue in 7
      years. Website addresses relevant to each article are
      given, making this publication easily expandable across
      the internet.

      The feature inquiry in the Summer 2001/2002 issue
      concerns Transformation in the Workplace. Spiritual
      teachers were presented the following question and
      invited to respond:

      "How do you perceive the practical role of spirituality
      in the workplace, where such a spirituality would be a
      radical transformation of the way we work, relate to
      each other, and care for the environment?"

      The following are selections from a few of the

      Let Davidson: "Today's democratisation of consciousness
      makes the workplace a legitimate -- and necessary --
      domain of this awakening, and an opportunity to share
      this experience with others."

      David Deida: "To offer your most valuable presence to
      others, discover your deepest purpose for being alive.
      Know your reason for being in the room with your
      colleagues. Stay in touch with your deep purpose as you
      open without limits. Open and feel the earth below and
      the sky above. Open and feel to your left and right and
      front and back. Actually open your body as if you were
      embracing the space around you as your lover. Feel all
      others as if you were feeling into the caring heart of
      your lover. Feel their deep heart from your deep
      heart."

      Jim Dreaver: "Presence is learned through heightened
      mind/body awareness. As we breathe slowly and
      consciously, relax our muscles, and bring our attention
      out of our head, into our body, into an awareness of our
      immediate environment, we find ourselves naturally more
      alert and at ease in the present. Presence itself
      becomes the source of our physical energy, charisma,
      and confidence. It is the foundation upon which the
      other skills stand. It is the key to seeing the facts of
      any situation with clarity, to making the best
      decisions, and to taking the right action."

      Barry Long: "No can do. The question to me is
      meaningless. Meaningless means intellectual.
      Intellectual means entertaining the mind weed. A
      'spiritual' question with 'we' in it is an avoidance of
      the only truth. The only truth begins with 'I'. Before
      any real enduring transformation of the outer can take
      place, 'I' must address rightly, and dissolve rightly ,
      the mental clutter and emotional clamor in my self. I
      do this with intelligence. It is not intelligent in
      living or endeavouring to live the divine life to be
      concerned about we. I, once purified of the notion of
      self -- self-will, self-doubt, self-certainty,
      self-love, self-consideration -- disappears into an
      intelligence beyond the understanding and comprehension
      of those concerned with we."

      Rob Rabbin: "Searching for new techniques and strategies
      to run our businesses more profitably is too narrow a
      focus. Expanding our focus to take in the world, we
      need instead to become more fully human. Then, with our
      humanity leading the way, we will know how to act
      properly and avoid disaster -- both in the world and in
      our business."

      Krishnamurti is quoted: "Now, what is it that makes us
      dull? Is it the work itself? Or is it our resistance to
      work, or our avoidance of other impacts upon us?" ...
      ...does action, work, make the mind dull? Or is the mind
      made dull by avoidance, by conflict, by resistance that
      dulls the mind? If you have no resistance and accept
      work, what happens?"

      ~~~

      Jan Kersschot introduces his book, Coming Home,
      interviews with eight spiritual teachers. Part of the
      interview with Douglas Harding is included.

      Sample: Kersschot asks, "Is discovering this seeing more
      about becoming ordinary instead of being special?"

      Harding replies: "It makes you more ordinary than
      special. You don't feel special. I think this is very
      important because this seeing has nothing to do with a
      guru and disciples. I do not behave like that because I
      don't feel like that. When you really see who you
      really are, you see you are No-thing, and so you are not
      superior. The fact that you wish to celebrate it, and
      share it with friends, that is your privilege. But it
      doesn't mean that other people aren't there; they are
      all in a certain sense enlightened. They are just
      ignorant about their own enlightenment. So you can't
      feel superior. It is very democratic, this vision."

      ~~~

      The War on Paper is psychotherapist Patricia A. Burke's
      telling of a workshop encounter with Byron Katie: "So
      there it is, my own violence toward me, toward this
      thing on my eyelid I call 'not me'. And it is my
      violence toward the whole world. Good reason to give it
      up, so I turn it around. It's my thinking that is ugly,
      grotesque, terrible. I feel the suffering of my
      attachment to this story. Can I meet it with
      understanding? ... Who would I be if I never had the
      thought that this white fatty deposit is ugly,
      separate, terrible and I'm supposed to get rid of it? Am
      I the Nazi, the Palestinian terrorist, the Israeli man
      in the audience, a woman with a blemish on her face?
      Without the story, I am all of these and none of these.
      I am simply peace sitting in this chair."

      ~~~

      Dialogue with Stanley Sobottka, is an e-mail interview
      by Ivan Frimmel about Sobottka's Course in
      Consciousness. Frimmel asks a number of in-depth,
      lengthy questions that come from a thinking, conceptual
      space, to which Sobattka would appear to be replying
      from the disposition of direct seeing. Following one
      such lengthy question taking 30 lines of text, Sobattka
      simply replies, "As I said above, the best answer is to
      'see' that you are pure Awareness and that this is
      unchanging."

      Sobottka is often, but not always, so spare in his use
      of words in this interview, nor is he trying to avoid
      answering. He responds generously throughout this
      interview. As well, he says, "I am always open to
      questions about the course from my readers, and will
      respond promptly." This reviewer can confirm that.
      Access The Course in Consciousness at
      <http://faculty.virginia.edu/consciousness/>. New
      material is added frequently and it has been updated in
      the last few days with a section on meditation. This
      interview in Noumenon could be considered supplemental
      to the Course.

      ~~~

      The final article is What is Enlightenment?, by Dr.
      Nitin Trasi, M.D. It is a presentation from the book,
      The Science of Enlightenment, given structure by an
      abstract, an introduction, a list of main points which
      are elaborated, a results section, a conclusion, and
      notes and references. An excerpt:

      "To be precise, Enlightenment is the loss of the
      delusion of the 'me', not the 'me' itself. Let us be
      clear about this. The 'me' is an appearance -- like the
      circle produced by a whirling torch. It is not entirely
      an illusion (like a hallucination) because the
      appearance does exist. But it is a relative reality --
      transient and ever-changing. The delusion consists in
      believing it to be more real than it is -- believing it
      to be an entity by itself, a homunculus, or even a
      'soul' inhabiting the body -- and identifying with it."

      Between the opening story of Paul Brunton's encounter
      with Ramana, and a closing quote from a John Lennon
      lyric, Dr. Trasi considers what enlightenment is, as
      thoroughly as seven pages of text would allow.

      ~~~

      The last part of this issue of Noumenon is dedicated to
      a dozen book reviews. Shirley Bell's review of Ken
      Wilber's Integral Psychology: Consciousness, Spirit,
      Psychology, Therapy, occupies ten pages of text and
      provides a number of handles for the reader seeking to
      grasp facet's of Wilber's thought.

      Also in the book review section are generous excerpts
      from two books which are introductions to emerging
      teachers in the West: Dialogues With Emerging Spiritual
      Teachers, by John W. Parker, and The Awakening West:
      Evidence of a Spreading Enlightenment, by Lynn Marie
      Lumiere and John Lumiere-Wins.

      ~~~

      The full edition of Noumenon is available only in hard
      copy at $10 U.S. per year. Along with Meditation Society
      of America's Inner Traveler and Andrew Cohen's What Is
      Enlightenment?, it makes up the Big Three English
      language hard copy publications grounded in a nondual
      perspective and embracing a variety of backgrounds, of
      which I am aware.

      You may order Noumenon at the following web page:
      <http://users.iafrica.com/n/no/noumenon/page6.html>,
      where there are links to past issues. Or email Kriben
      Pillay at <noumenon@...>.

      --Jerry Katz
      jerry@...