Re: organism and identity / for sg

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 105 , Oct 2, 2003
      > N: > Being out in nature, it would seem there are no walls.
      > Looking closer, there are walls of a fashion, natural boundaries:
      > the formations of earth and bodies of water, of plants, small and
      > large.
      > > It is interesting, though, that these natural boundaries, while
      > > defining space, often are thought of being, or perceived to be,
      > > 'part of that nature space'.

      SG, this reminds me of the difference that 'training' makes
      as regards perspective. While the 'intuitive' sense of something,
      for instance, the qualities of natural space, may be inherently
      present, the ability to pinpoint what contributes to those
      qualities is not necessarily available without making effort
      to understand.

      Partially for devi, partially as part of this conversation,
      I would offer up that my sense of Iyengar's genius is his
      ability not only to tap into an intuitive, empathic sense
      of 'what is arising in the body'(both his own and his students'),
      but his ability to integrate that intuitive, empathic arising
      into something that can be understood and then precisely
      articulated to his students.

      It is the same with architectural training, in that one
      begins by having an affinity for architecture. The intuitive
      sense is that 'this works', 'this doesn't work'. The
      training is an exploration of how this works or doesn't work.
      The training culminates in the ability to replicate
      what works or doesn't work.. and sometimes develops into the
      ability to teach others how to know and create what works and
      doesn't work.

      You might say: that is all of the mind.

      I would submit that it isn't at all of the mind, and that
      the way I am using the word 'understanding' is as much a
      matter of the heart as it is of the mind. Understanding
      can be an art, as well as a science.

      When understanding is understood to be an art,
      then the boundaries of it flex or dissolve. One moment,
      there is one understanding, the next a different understanding.
      It is determined by play. The 'art' is in 'how'
      one understands.

      Understanding, is a process, not an end.

      The dissolution to which you point
      is the foundation of the art of understanding.

      It isn't necessary to remain steadfastly within
      that experience of dissolution, minute to minute,
      nothing is necessary.

      It is a joy to dip into it, and draw inspiration from it.

      When the inspiration fails, it is no worse than
      a sandcastle being washed away by the beach tide.
      Tomorrow, I build another sandcastle.

      The thing is, I do know that at any time, I could
      let go of the sandcastle building... but why?
      Maybe you know why and would share the why...

      > SG: it is all a point of reference..... if it is perceived as
      > boundaries then i am sure it is what you need to see at this point
      > and juncture ....... it is possible to pull structure into any
      > situation as well as releasing structure into simply a flow of
      > One....... i do not see space as an object nor do i see objects
      > as displacing space.....

      If it is not perceived as boundaries, then I am sure it is what you
      need to see at this point and juncture. That you do not see space as
      object or objects as displacing space is your determination. That
      said, there is nothing at all 'wrong' with that.

      It is possible to see space as both positive and negative, in which
      case, the difference between space and form becomes relative, but
      the distinction still exists.

      For instance, the distinction that is drawn between being 'in love'
      and 'out of love'.

      I wonder that it seems important that we all express 'being in love'
      all the time and in a certain manner.

      > SG: in Living Peace there are no barriers held -
      > no clinging - no aversions .... no mental jugglings .....
      > the point of stillness
      > contains Sat * Chit * Ananda.
      > it embraces all of Life seeing the perfection, underlying and
      > inundating all seeming imperfection.

      Well, ok, we always return to this. :)
    • Era
      Message 105 of 105 , Oct 5, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        > photographs with radiused corners, the blues and greens and sand
        > colors of photographs from that time, the reds always slightly
        > pungent, as if the pigment were wired and erratic, unsure of its
        > place in the film. There we are, squatting in the sand: my blond-
        > haired mother, sitting aside, arm around the barrel-chest of the
        > small grey dog; my father and a very small I sitting together,
        > scraping sand into forms. What the photograph barely hints at is the
        > joy of building that sandcastle, part enjoyment of the sand and
        > water, part thrill and satisfaction of building it with my father.
        > What the photograph doesn't contain is what came later. After
        > building it, I felt so much happiness and pride; we played in the
        > water, and I kept looking back to see that sandcastle sitting before
        > the waves. Then the two boys came, stepping into the sandcastle,
        > crushing it. I cried salt tears to the sea, inconsolable, and unable
        > to explain or even understand that the greatest loss was not the
        > sandcastle, but what the sandcastle represented.
        >
        > 2. We like to go early to the beach, before the beach patrol comes on
        > line, and let our dogs run off leash. One morning, on the way back,
        > we are walking close to the dunes, past a sandcastle left above the
        > tide line. One of the dogs stalks the sandcastle, circling it,
        > sniffing it carefully, as if the castle might move. She notes the
        > hollow center of the castle, and daintily scratches it with one paw,
        > once, twice. Moving within the hollow, she begins to dig, throwing
        > large arcs of sand beneath and behind her, very efficiently deepening
        > the hollow. Sufficiently inspired, she leaps from the castle, and
        > runs circles on the beach. She is amazing, lean muscle and arching
        > back, her earth-pounding feet carrying her so close to us on her
        > returns that her breath is heard and wake is felt.
        >
        > 3. After the walk, I remain on the beach after the others return
        > home. The sun is coming up, pink and orange, and the sky is humid and
        > a thick blue-grey. The moon is still out, and a few stars, but are
        > gradually fading in a sky that is approaching their brilliance. I
        > stand within the laps of the waves, and look out to the rocking
        > shrimp boats, and the long, thin horizon beyond. With each receding
        > wave, the water draws sand from beneath the edges of my feet.
        > Eventually, I am balancing on two pyramids beneath my arches. I find
        > that if I am not perfectly balanced through the soles of my feet as
        > these pyramids form, that eventually I must cling to the tops of the
        > pyramids with the muscles of my legs, lest my feet slide from the
        > pyramids. I stand for a long while like this, trying on new pyramids,
        > learning as a matter of course what it is to be perfectly balanced
        > within my soles, and how transparent and effortless that feels,
        > watching the night suns recede as I am warmed by the heat advancing
        > in the eastern sky. At some point, the shrimp boats disappear, and I

        Nina, you just made my day

        smiles