Re: organism and identity / for maria luisa

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 105 , Oct 1, 2003

      > > > You gave me a soft laugh, Nina.
      > > > Yes, we try and try to explain. Thank you for your explanation.
      > > > But look. What about a sense of being in which
      > > > "I" "know" "I" am not the body, am not the senses,
      > > > am not the memories, and where "I" know
      > > > about my eternal existence? Doesn't all this explanations fade?
      > > >
      > > > much love, maria luisa
      > >
      > > Maria Luisa,
      > >
      > > I reply to your context, and you change it.
      > >
      > > Very well.
      > >
      > > Yes, when you take yourself into a sense of being not the body,
      > > not the senses, and not the memories, and where you know
      > > about your external existence, explanations fade.
      > >
      > > So, why do you persist in conversing on this message board?
      > >
      > > Honestly, your habit of initiating conversation by way
      > > of your own explanations and then repeatedly blocking others'
      > > contribution to it by playing the "consciousness card",
      > > pulling the contextual rug out from beneath your conversational
      > > partners, or by turning tale and running when discussion
      > > emerges, is, shall we say, unnecessary.
      > >
      > > Nina
      >
      > Dear Nina,
      > we all have habits. I'm not sure i am blocking your contributions.

      By the word 'blocking', I refer to a way of enticing exchange,
      opening the doors to conversation by offering up Topic A,
      then, when Topic A is addressed, replying that Topic A is not
      important, that Topic B is really more important then Topic A.
      This is conversational whiplash, until one realizes that
      Topic B is always the same card to be played:

      > What do you mean by consciousness card, kind of a label?

      The card is the "Consciousness Card", the card which is
      formed by a collection of specific tendencies including
      intuition over deduction
      (though you have both a strong intellect and intuitive faculty),
      experience over understanding
      (though you are quite able to understand as well as to experience),
      the nonspecific over the specific
      (though you have access to both in the deepest manner).

      It is the trump card, by which you put others in their places,
      and further your "specific sense".

      Who can top an experience of "all that is"?

      > Pulling the rug out from beneath the intellectual stuff is
      > something that is done because it has a specific sense. Because by
      > means of intellect we will not get but relative understanding. I've
      > stated this many times.

      Yes, you have.

      Allow me to point out, that I have never revealed to you
      my personal experiences with consciousness, except indirectly.

      > I appreciate your posts and inputs. These are very intelligent. But
      > they stay within mindfull context, and i am trying to point at
      > something beyond mind. This is something mind neither likes nor
      > understands.

      You draw a distinction between the experience which
      is supposed not shared and experience which is supposed shared,
      but do not draw a distinction between either sort of experience
      & how that experience is expressed - in this case, mindfully.
      This mindfulness is an expression of personality,
      and in no way impairs the experience that is expressed.

      Your mind, or perhaps the "general person's mind",
      may not like it or feel comfortable understanding it,
      but mine has less and less aversion to it. Having a mind
      does not in any way cancel out the possibility of
      experiencing beyond mind.

      With practice, there is less resistance and less boundary.

      > To keep discussions about the how's and whence's manifestation of
      > life happens is not my issue. I leave this explanations to
      > technicians on the issue, scientifics, intellectuals, philosophers,
      > or simply intelligent people. You can enjoy and rejoice in them,
      > feeling that you are arriving some place.

      Ah, you might note, here, another example of "putting someone
      in their place". Topic B is more important than Topic A, and
      the statement that another is limited to Topic A.

      > But i still insist that there is a beyond all this.

      Yes, and when will you arrive at this place "beyond all this"?
      Or rather, when will the choir to which you preach arrive there?

      > I insist that the place is already here and now,
      > Present, a Presence. I am pointing to a subtle something,
      > a something that cannot be deffended nor admits discussion
      > because it is something intuitive that can be "achieved"
      > by means of intuition only. And when this understanding
      > is "achieved", there is no more need in understanding
      > the relatives.

      There is no more need, but this does not cancel the possibility
      for communion on a number of levels.

      I am with you in your sense that intuition is a connection
      to your subtle something.

      However, I do question your aversion to deduction, as it
      is a a reflection of intuition.

      > This is my point and this is how i feel it.
      > I just share this, that's all.
      > There's nobody running away from discussions here,

      Think again - you run from discussions that do not fit
      your context, or "specific sense". You label them:
      not right, not good enough, not helpful, not to the point.

      > and if you don't like my ways, it really doesn't
      > mean that these are unnecessary. If they are unnecessary for you,
      > just skip my posts and don't bother about them.
      > That is my suggestion. I will continue posting and
      > writing whenever i feel it and in the way i feel it.
      > But in the sense of pure being, i agree that simply thinking about
      > existence is not necessary, because we already are what we are, and
      > because there is nothing to achieve from an absolute point of view.
      > To explain existence is unnecessary because existence is all there
      > is, we already exist, and there is no way in denying this.
      > Necessary, unnecessary,... who knows? who says this?

      Again, there is no 'need', but only 'enjoyment of the exercise'.

      Some come to the communion inspired by the need of the
      experience of which you speak. Others come offering flights
      of fancy inspired by the experience. Can you tell the
      difference? Can I? Even from one moment to the next, it
      can change in each individual person.

      So, I would recommend that all assumptions are dropped,
      and that instead of conversing with the person comprised
      of what one thinks or intuits of a person, that one
      converse with the other, as though that other has had
      all the experience one might wish to share with that other.
      That one meets another on common ground, whether that
      ground be the endless plain all-being, or a meditation
      on the endless all-being.

      Afterall, it is possible to find the all-being, in
      all of being.

      Only a suggestion.

      Nina
    • Era
      Message 105 of 105 , Oct 5, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        > photographs with radiused corners, the blues and greens and sand
        > colors of photographs from that time, the reds always slightly
        > pungent, as if the pigment were wired and erratic, unsure of its
        > place in the film. There we are, squatting in the sand: my blond-
        > haired mother, sitting aside, arm around the barrel-chest of the
        > small grey dog; my father and a very small I sitting together,
        > scraping sand into forms. What the photograph barely hints at is the
        > joy of building that sandcastle, part enjoyment of the sand and
        > water, part thrill and satisfaction of building it with my father.
        > What the photograph doesn't contain is what came later. After
        > building it, I felt so much happiness and pride; we played in the
        > water, and I kept looking back to see that sandcastle sitting before
        > the waves. Then the two boys came, stepping into the sandcastle,
        > crushing it. I cried salt tears to the sea, inconsolable, and unable
        > to explain or even understand that the greatest loss was not the
        > sandcastle, but what the sandcastle represented.
        >
        > 2. We like to go early to the beach, before the beach patrol comes on
        > line, and let our dogs run off leash. One morning, on the way back,
        > we are walking close to the dunes, past a sandcastle left above the
        > tide line. One of the dogs stalks the sandcastle, circling it,
        > sniffing it carefully, as if the castle might move. She notes the
        > hollow center of the castle, and daintily scratches it with one paw,
        > once, twice. Moving within the hollow, she begins to dig, throwing
        > large arcs of sand beneath and behind her, very efficiently deepening
        > the hollow. Sufficiently inspired, she leaps from the castle, and
        > runs circles on the beach. She is amazing, lean muscle and arching
        > back, her earth-pounding feet carrying her so close to us on her
        > returns that her breath is heard and wake is felt.
        >
        > 3. After the walk, I remain on the beach after the others return
        > home. The sun is coming up, pink and orange, and the sky is humid and
        > a thick blue-grey. The moon is still out, and a few stars, but are
        > gradually fading in a sky that is approaching their brilliance. I
        > stand within the laps of the waves, and look out to the rocking
        > shrimp boats, and the long, thin horizon beyond. With each receding
        > wave, the water draws sand from beneath the edges of my feet.
        > Eventually, I am balancing on two pyramids beneath my arches. I find
        > that if I am not perfectly balanced through the soles of my feet as
        > these pyramids form, that eventually I must cling to the tops of the
        > pyramids with the muscles of my legs, lest my feet slide from the
        > pyramids. I stand for a long while like this, trying on new pyramids,
        > learning as a matter of course what it is to be perfectly balanced
        > within my soles, and how transparent and effortless that feels,
        > watching the night suns recede as I am warmed by the heat advancing
        > in the eastern sky. At some point, the shrimp boats disappear, and I

        Nina, you just made my day

        smiles