Re: patanjili

  • texasbg2000
    Message 1 of 105 , Sep 30, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Era"
      <mi_nok@y...> wrote:
      > > > 4. From egoism alone proceed the created minds.
      > > >
      > > > The theory of Karma is that we suffer for our good or bad
      deeds,
      > > and
      > > > the whole scope of philosophy is to reach the glory of man. All
      the
      > > > scriptures sing the glory of man, of the soul, and then, in the
      > > same
      > > > breath, they preach Karma. A good deed brings such a result,
      and a
      > > > bad deed such another, but if the soul can be acted upon by a
      good
      > > or
      > > > a bad deed, the soul amounts to nothing. Bad deeds put a bar to
      the
      > > > manifestation of the nature of the Purusha; good deeds take the
      > > > obstacles off, and the glory of the Purusha becomes manifest.
      The
      > > > Purusha itself is never changed. Whatever you do never destroys
      > > your
      > > > own glory, your own nature, because the soul cannot be acted
      upon
      > > by
      > > > anything, only a veil is spread before it, hiding its
      perfection.

      > > > bobby, i was surfing around and came across swami vivekanandas
      > > > commentary on patanjilies yoga sutra,,i know you like
      patangili..,i
      > > > never heard this interpretation of karma,,have you..?bobby are
      you
      > > in
      > > > harshas satsang?
      > >
      > > Hi Devi:
      > >
      > > Yes I have read Vivekananda's commentary on Yoga Sutra. He is
      one
      > > that went into the cave for years and emerged able to say
      something
      > > worthwhile about how to practice.
      > >
      > > I love Harsha Satsang but have been busy lately. I am to leave to
      go
      > > to London tomorrow for three weeks on a painting junket.
      > >

      > > The ideas about karma you pasted here are familiar also. I think
      bad
      > > deeds make us unwilling to be truthful about the self image and
      that
      > > makes it harder to hold the "I" before the mind steadily. By
      trying
      > > to act in ways that make us willing to practice self scrutiny we
      come
      > > to the traditional virtues in society. The idea that societal
      mores
      > > vary does not interfere with this theory, I don't believe. At
      any
      > > rate, Patanjali lists the character traits that will help remove
      the
      > > coverings to the purusha and that is most likely what V. was
      > > referring to. P. also says that meditative absorption (dhyana)
      will
      > > destroy the causes of the tendencies (II.11) which cause the bad
      > > karma.
      > >
      > > Patanjali was a 'hoss'.
      > > Bobby G.
      >
      > dear Bobby, have a great show!
      >
      > do you sell your 'philosophy' besides
      > your paintings also?
      >
      > oh! the head hunting "costumers"
      >
      > is Europe a different buying public?
      >
      > I want to ask you that the idea of
      > embrace and accept all: the negative
      > included comes to mind with this passage
      >
      > I always had difficulty with idea of
      > "karma", since I saw kids governed by
      > hormones and ignorance acting out real
      > bad.. but I did NOT!!! accept, thart
      > they called the wrath of karma upon
      > them
      >
      > that is ludicrous!! I can not accept
      > that
      >
      > imo god does not give a hut about the
      > different cultural rules of "good" and
      > "bad".. only corrects the INTENTIONS
      > of a heart
      >

      > love, Karta

      Hi Karta:

      No I don't sell philosophy but thanks for the thought. I won't be
      selling any art in London just painting and teaching a little bit and
      looking.

      When we practice dispassion we have to accept the negative and the
      positive. It is when the negative or postive is not recognised but
      denied that we are in real trouble.

      I don't like the idea of karma coming down on kids either. But if
      you are a slave owner and are mean to a slave in one lifetime perhaps
      you will be born as a slave the next lifetime and the slave will own
      you. Then the one who was a slave has the opportunity to get out of
      the cycle by being good to you even though you don't deserve it, and
      you did not get out of it because you thought that he got what he
      deserved. Mercy is a good intention. Dealing out justice is dicey.

      The great thing about this is that under THAT social system of
      justice one always feels the universe is a just place whether we are
      a slave or not. I like that better than the way a lot of people
      today feel, that God has got it in for them in particular.

      About the 'intentions': I think they are produced by tendencies.
      Devotion to the truth is an intention and if one is blessed by this
      grace follows.

      Love
      Bobby G.
    • Era
      Message 105 of 105 , Oct 5, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        > photographs with radiused corners, the blues and greens and sand
        > colors of photographs from that time, the reds always slightly
        > pungent, as if the pigment were wired and erratic, unsure of its
        > place in the film. There we are, squatting in the sand: my blond-
        > haired mother, sitting aside, arm around the barrel-chest of the
        > small grey dog; my father and a very small I sitting together,
        > scraping sand into forms. What the photograph barely hints at is the
        > joy of building that sandcastle, part enjoyment of the sand and
        > water, part thrill and satisfaction of building it with my father.
        > What the photograph doesn't contain is what came later. After
        > building it, I felt so much happiness and pride; we played in the
        > water, and I kept looking back to see that sandcastle sitting before
        > the waves. Then the two boys came, stepping into the sandcastle,
        > crushing it. I cried salt tears to the sea, inconsolable, and unable
        > to explain or even understand that the greatest loss was not the
        > sandcastle, but what the sandcastle represented.
        >
        > 2. We like to go early to the beach, before the beach patrol comes on
        > line, and let our dogs run off leash. One morning, on the way back,
        > we are walking close to the dunes, past a sandcastle left above the
        > tide line. One of the dogs stalks the sandcastle, circling it,
        > sniffing it carefully, as if the castle might move. She notes the
        > hollow center of the castle, and daintily scratches it with one paw,
        > once, twice. Moving within the hollow, she begins to dig, throwing
        > large arcs of sand beneath and behind her, very efficiently deepening
        > the hollow. Sufficiently inspired, she leaps from the castle, and
        > runs circles on the beach. She is amazing, lean muscle and arching
        > back, her earth-pounding feet carrying her so close to us on her
        > returns that her breath is heard and wake is felt.
        >
        > 3. After the walk, I remain on the beach after the others return
        > home. The sun is coming up, pink and orange, and the sky is humid and
        > a thick blue-grey. The moon is still out, and a few stars, but are
        > gradually fading in a sky that is approaching their brilliance. I
        > stand within the laps of the waves, and look out to the rocking
        > shrimp boats, and the long, thin horizon beyond. With each receding
        > wave, the water draws sand from beneath the edges of my feet.
        > Eventually, I am balancing on two pyramids beneath my arches. I find
        > that if I am not perfectly balanced through the soles of my feet as
        > these pyramids form, that eventually I must cling to the tops of the
        > pyramids with the muscles of my legs, lest my feet slide from the
        > pyramids. I stand for a long while like this, trying on new pyramids,
        > learning as a matter of course what it is to be perfectly balanced
        > within my soles, and how transparent and effortless that feels,
        > watching the night suns recede as I am warmed by the heat advancing
        > in the eastern sky. At some point, the shrimp boats disappear, and I

        Nina, you just made my day

        smiles