Re: patanjili

  • Era
    Message 1 of 105 , Sep 30, 2003
      > > 4. From egoism alone proceed the created minds.
      > >
      > > The theory of Karma is that we suffer for our good or bad deeds,
      > and
      > > the whole scope of philosophy is to reach the glory of man. All the
      > > scriptures sing the glory of man, of the soul, and then, in the
      > same
      > > breath, they preach Karma. A good deed brings such a result, and a
      > > bad deed such another, but if the soul can be acted upon by a good
      > or
      > > a bad deed, the soul amounts to nothing. Bad deeds put a bar to the
      > > manifestation of the nature of the Purusha; good deeds take the
      > > obstacles off, and the glory of the Purusha becomes manifest. The
      > > Purusha itself is never changed. Whatever you do never destroys
      > your
      > > own glory, your own nature, because the soul cannot be acted upon
      > by
      > > anything, only a veil is spread before it, hiding its perfection.
      > >
      > > bobby, i was surfing around and came across swami vivekanandas
      > > commentary on patanjilies yoga sutra,,i know you like patangili..,i
      > > never heard this interpretation of karma,,have you..?bobby are you
      > in
      > > harshas satsang?
      >
      > Hi Devi:
      >
      > Yes I have read Vivekananda's commentary on Yoga Sutra. He is one
      > that went into the cave for years and emerged able to say something
      > worthwhile about how to practice.
      >
      > I love Harsha Satsang but have been busy lately. I am to leave to go
      > to London tomorrow for three weeks on a painting junket.
      >

      > The ideas about karma you pasted here are familiar also. I think bad
      > deeds make us unwilling to be truthful about the self image and that
      > makes it harder to hold the "I" before the mind steadily. By trying
      > to act in ways that make us willing to practice self scrutiny we come
      > to the traditional virtues in society. The idea that societal mores
      > vary does not interfere with this theory, I don't believe. At any
      > rate, Patanjali lists the character traits that will help remove the
      > coverings to the purusha and that is most likely what V. was
      > referring to. P. also says that meditative absorption (dhyana) will
      > destroy the causes of the tendencies (II.11) which cause the bad
      > karma.
      >
      > Patanjali was a 'hoss'.
      > Bobby G.

      dear Bobby, have a great show!

      do you sell your 'philosophy' besides
      your paintings also?

      oh! the head hunting "costumers"

      is Europe a different buying public?

      I want to ask you that the idea of
      embrace and accept all: the negative
      included comes to mind with this passage

      I always had difficulty with idea of
      "karma", since I saw kids governed by
      hormones and ignorance acting out real
      bad.. but I did NOT!!! accept, thart
      they called the wrath of karma upon
      them

      that is ludicrous!! I can not accept
      that

      imo god does not give a hut about the
      different cultural rules of "good" and
      "bad".. only corrects the INTENTIONS
      of a heart

      love, Karta
    • Era
      Message 105 of 105 , Oct 5, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        > photographs with radiused corners, the blues and greens and sand
        > colors of photographs from that time, the reds always slightly
        > pungent, as if the pigment were wired and erratic, unsure of its
        > place in the film. There we are, squatting in the sand: my blond-
        > haired mother, sitting aside, arm around the barrel-chest of the
        > small grey dog; my father and a very small I sitting together,
        > scraping sand into forms. What the photograph barely hints at is the
        > joy of building that sandcastle, part enjoyment of the sand and
        > water, part thrill and satisfaction of building it with my father.
        > What the photograph doesn't contain is what came later. After
        > building it, I felt so much happiness and pride; we played in the
        > water, and I kept looking back to see that sandcastle sitting before
        > the waves. Then the two boys came, stepping into the sandcastle,
        > crushing it. I cried salt tears to the sea, inconsolable, and unable
        > to explain or even understand that the greatest loss was not the
        > sandcastle, but what the sandcastle represented.
        >
        > 2. We like to go early to the beach, before the beach patrol comes on
        > line, and let our dogs run off leash. One morning, on the way back,
        > we are walking close to the dunes, past a sandcastle left above the
        > tide line. One of the dogs stalks the sandcastle, circling it,
        > sniffing it carefully, as if the castle might move. She notes the
        > hollow center of the castle, and daintily scratches it with one paw,
        > once, twice. Moving within the hollow, she begins to dig, throwing
        > large arcs of sand beneath and behind her, very efficiently deepening
        > the hollow. Sufficiently inspired, she leaps from the castle, and
        > runs circles on the beach. She is amazing, lean muscle and arching
        > back, her earth-pounding feet carrying her so close to us on her
        > returns that her breath is heard and wake is felt.
        >
        > 3. After the walk, I remain on the beach after the others return
        > home. The sun is coming up, pink and orange, and the sky is humid and
        > a thick blue-grey. The moon is still out, and a few stars, but are
        > gradually fading in a sky that is approaching their brilliance. I
        > stand within the laps of the waves, and look out to the rocking
        > shrimp boats, and the long, thin horizon beyond. With each receding
        > wave, the water draws sand from beneath the edges of my feet.
        > Eventually, I am balancing on two pyramids beneath my arches. I find
        > that if I am not perfectly balanced through the soles of my feet as
        > these pyramids form, that eventually I must cling to the tops of the
        > pyramids with the muscles of my legs, lest my feet slide from the
        > pyramids. I stand for a long while like this, trying on new pyramids,
        > learning as a matter of course what it is to be perfectly balanced
        > within my soles, and how transparent and effortless that feels,
        > watching the night suns recede as I am warmed by the heat advancing
        > in the eastern sky. At some point, the shrimp boats disappear, and I

        Nina, you just made my day

        smiles