organism and identity Re: maria luisa/lower-case

  • Gene Poole
    Message 1 of 105 , Sep 29, 2003
      > "maria luisa" <mlcanow@y...> wrote:
      >> "Nina" > <murrkis@y...> wrote:

      <snip>

      > > Hi, Maria Luisa, I have no bones (tee hee) with your words,
      > > except that I did want to point out that the body organism
      > > is part of the identity and part of what may be protected.
      > >
      > > To stop and observe reactions to threats
      > > we typically ascribe to 'being of the mind'
      > > and thus only 'threats to identity',
      > > will reveal that these 'threats to identity'
      > > correspond integrally with 'threats to the body'.
      > > The converse is also observable.
      > >
      > > Nina
      >
      > YES NINA,
      > BUT HAVE YOU SOMEHOW KNOWN OR NOTICED THAT EVEN THE BODY ORGANISM
      IS
      > ANOTHER PROJECTION OF MIND? IT'S AS UNWRASPABLE AS ANYTHING ELSE
      > ONCE UNDERSTOOD AS A COMPOUND OF PERCEPTIONS (VIA THE FIVE SENSES).
      > I THINK WE ARE TRAPPED IN THE FIVE SENSES MORE THAN WE ACCEPT IT.
      >
      > LOVE,
      > ML

      The body is formed... during gestation in womb...
      under influence of Samskara... thus the body matches
      the eventual identity, which is of course itself built
      according to the aversions and desires which are
      the Samskara...

      Realization... has 'contents' which are the remainder
      of the comparison, of the 'idiosyncratic' to the 'universal'...

      Thus there is 'self-knowledge', which is but knowing of
      what was assumed to be 'self'... it is the 'departed self',
      which now rests, as a record of Samskara...

      Moving forward in life, operating a body which fits with
      an expired identity... this is the choice, compared to
      attempting to make identity 'perfect'... or attempting to
      make the body 'perfect', thus to perfect identity...

      What is the product of Samskara... what was assembled
      around that armature... is what is deducted, thus to make
      'perfect'... in realization, first deducted is 'identity'... we
      then operate a 'foreign body'... until death, the 'final deduction'.

      If we take seriously, the challenge to transcend Samskara,
      we also know of patience versus impatience... if this is
      so, we are willing to maintain and pilot the fleshy vehicle,
      until that living record of Samskara is also gently returned
      to its original star-dust.

      ==Gene Poole==

      PS: ML... lower-case is preferred...

      Thanks
    • Era
      Message 105 of 105 , Oct 5, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        > photographs with radiused corners, the blues and greens and sand
        > colors of photographs from that time, the reds always slightly
        > pungent, as if the pigment were wired and erratic, unsure of its
        > place in the film. There we are, squatting in the sand: my blond-
        > haired mother, sitting aside, arm around the barrel-chest of the
        > small grey dog; my father and a very small I sitting together,
        > scraping sand into forms. What the photograph barely hints at is the
        > joy of building that sandcastle, part enjoyment of the sand and
        > water, part thrill and satisfaction of building it with my father.
        > What the photograph doesn't contain is what came later. After
        > building it, I felt so much happiness and pride; we played in the
        > water, and I kept looking back to see that sandcastle sitting before
        > the waves. Then the two boys came, stepping into the sandcastle,
        > crushing it. I cried salt tears to the sea, inconsolable, and unable
        > to explain or even understand that the greatest loss was not the
        > sandcastle, but what the sandcastle represented.
        >
        > 2. We like to go early to the beach, before the beach patrol comes on
        > line, and let our dogs run off leash. One morning, on the way back,
        > we are walking close to the dunes, past a sandcastle left above the
        > tide line. One of the dogs stalks the sandcastle, circling it,
        > sniffing it carefully, as if the castle might move. She notes the
        > hollow center of the castle, and daintily scratches it with one paw,
        > once, twice. Moving within the hollow, she begins to dig, throwing
        > large arcs of sand beneath and behind her, very efficiently deepening
        > the hollow. Sufficiently inspired, she leaps from the castle, and
        > runs circles on the beach. She is amazing, lean muscle and arching
        > back, her earth-pounding feet carrying her so close to us on her
        > returns that her breath is heard and wake is felt.
        >
        > 3. After the walk, I remain on the beach after the others return
        > home. The sun is coming up, pink and orange, and the sky is humid and
        > a thick blue-grey. The moon is still out, and a few stars, but are
        > gradually fading in a sky that is approaching their brilliance. I
        > stand within the laps of the waves, and look out to the rocking
        > shrimp boats, and the long, thin horizon beyond. With each receding
        > wave, the water draws sand from beneath the edges of my feet.
        > Eventually, I am balancing on two pyramids beneath my arches. I find
        > that if I am not perfectly balanced through the soles of my feet as
        > these pyramids form, that eventually I must cling to the tops of the
        > pyramids with the muscles of my legs, lest my feet slide from the
        > pyramids. I stand for a long while like this, trying on new pyramids,
        > learning as a matter of course what it is to be perfectly balanced
        > within my soles, and how transparent and effortless that feels,
        > watching the night suns recede as I am warmed by the heat advancing
        > in the eastern sky. At some point, the shrimp boats disappear, and I

        Nina, you just made my day

        smiles