Re: aumg, aumg, aumg

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "diana_53231"
      <diana_53231@y...> wrote:

      > http://tinyurl.com/osd1

      Hehe, well, what will they do next?

      The Onion did a spoof on yoga competition a while back:

      http://www.theonion.com/onion2908/monkgloats.html

      There is something to be said for inspiring people to begin the
      practice of yoga, even it is by attracting them through their own
      attachment to competition. Perhaps the inspiration will eventually
      lead to things beyond competition, beyond seeing how long and hard
      someone can work in a hot room, beyond the feeling that 'if I can do
      this, I can do anything!' On the other hand, the quest for fixed
      solution is well-rooted in our psyches, as is the tendency not to
      look deeper, and it could be that in presenting yoga as a competitive
      sport, that a great many people are misled.

      But don't worry, each sport refines to its most sleekest expression,
      ultimately hitting the limits of the tolerance of the human body and
      the gear and measuring devices used in the sport. Without further
      technological advances, the sport comes to a head, so to speak. As
      regards yoga competitions, that technological cut-off point might be
      the ability to measure depth and degree of infinity.

      Good luck to the yoga athletes on that one. I'd love to see how they
      manage to measure and compare Samadhi.

      Nina
    • Gene Poole
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27, 2003
        ? "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
        > > "diana_53231" > <diana_53231@y...> wrote:
        > >

        > > http://tinyurl.com/osd1
        >
        > Hehe, well, what will they do next?
        >
        > The Onion did a spoof on yoga competition a while back:
        >
        > http://www.theonion.com/onion2908/monkgloats.html
        >
        > There is something to be said for inspiring people to begin the
        > practice of yoga, even it is by attracting them through their own
        > attachment to competition. Perhaps the inspiration will eventually
        > lead to things beyond competition, beyond seeing how long and hard
        > someone can work in a hot room, beyond the feeling that 'if I can do
        > this, I can do anything!' On the other hand, the quest for fixed
        > solution is well-rooted in our psyches, as is the tendency not to
        > look deeper, and it could be that in presenting yoga as a competitive
        > sport, that a great many people are misled.

        This whole thing is so 'of the world' that I
        experience a bit of pain around it. In fact,
        it seems to be the 'yoga of abidance', to see
        and let it be.

        I guess that there has always been 'yoga competition',
        as I remember my various yoga classes; it seems that
        many instructors are in competition not only with other
        instructors (within their own particular discipline) but also,
        in a more subtle way, with their students.

        > But don't worry, each sport refines to its most sleekest expression,
        > ultimately hitting the limits of the tolerance of the human body and
        > the gear and measuring devices used in the sport. Without further
        > technological advances, the sport comes to a head, so to speak. As
        > regards yoga competitions, that technological cut-off point might be
        > the ability to measure depth and degree of infinity.

        Heh heh... I wonder if the competition will get so 'hot',
        that some competitors will secretly have installed
        teflon hip-ball joints, with greater range than the organic
        ones...

        > Good luck to the yoga athletes on that one. I'd love to see how they
        > manage to measure and compare Samadhi.
        >
        > Nina

        You can already see the competition on that one,
        on many Yahoo lists...

        Thanks, Nina...

        ==GP==
      • Nina
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2003
          > > > http://tinyurl.com/osd1
          > >
          > > Hehe, well, what will they do next?
          > >
          > > The Onion did a spoof on yoga competition a while back:
          > >
          > > http://www.theonion.com/onion2908/monkgloats.html
          > >
          > > There is something to be said for inspiring people to begin
          > > the practice of yoga, even it is by attracting them through
          > > their own attachment to competition. Perhaps the inspiration
          > > will eventually lead to things beyond competition, beyond
          > > seeing how long and hard someone can work in a hot room,
          > > beyond the feeling that 'if I can do this, I can do
          > > anything!' On the other hand, the quest for fixed
          > > solution is well-rooted in our psyches, as is the
          > > tendency not to look deeper, and it could be that
          > > in presenting yoga as a competitive
          > > sport, that a great many people are misled.
          >
          > This whole thing is so 'of the world' that I
          > experience a bit of pain around it. In fact,
          > it seems to be the 'yoga of abidance', to see
          > and let it be.
          >
          > I guess that there has always been 'yoga competition',
          > as I remember my various yoga classes; it seems that
          > many instructors are in competition not only with other
          > instructors (within their own particular discipline) but also,
          > in a more subtle way, with their students.

          Gene, I can feel that pain, as well.

          Regarding competition among practicioners, I have observed this,
          also. It is something to note.

          There is an often touched-upon conversation among yoga teachers
          regarding whether or not to demonstrate the 'full pose' to students.
          It's a hot topic. If one shows the full pose, will one alienate
          or inspire a student? I think this question is connected to the
          observation you have made regarding competition, both expressed and
          repressed.

          I was reminded of this question again today. After I demonstrated a
          full pose today, several students declared that I am boneless. The
          implication was that, because they are not boneless, they would not
          be able to form the pose. There is the flavor of competition in that,
          but what can be done? I told them that yoga is the art of being
          boneless, and that they, too, are boneless, but only believe they
          have bones.

          So, what of this drive to continually downplay competition, as I have
          done in the scenario above, and countless others? Why am I
          downplaying competition? Why is competition a 'sin' in this setting?

          I am not asking these questions because I am seeking validation for
          competition, only because it dawned on me that I had not questioned
          this before. I had only assumed it to be 'correct' that there shall
          be no competition within the practice of yoga.

          > > But don't worry, each sport refines to its most
          > > sleekest expression, ultimately hitting the limits
          > > of the tolerance of the human body and
          > > the gear and measuring devices used in the sport.
          > > Without further technological advances, the sport
          > > comes to a head, so to speak. As regards yoga
          > > competitions, that technological cut-off point might be
          > > the ability to measure depth and degree of infinity.
          >
          > Heh heh... I wonder if the competition will get so 'hot',
          > that some competitors will secretly have installed
          > teflon hip-ball joints, with greater range than the organic
          > ones...

          :) Teflon hip joints are no match for Boneless Being.

          > > Good luck to the yoga athletes on that one. I'd love
          > > to see how they manage to measure and compare Samadhi.
          > >
          > > Nina
          >
          > You can already see the competition on that one,
          > on many Yahoo lists...

          Yes, I suppose so. There are no winners in that game.

          Lastly, regarding yoga competitions in a western society:

          We are bombarded by demands to compete and compare within
          this society. The practice of yoga is one of the few options
          available to balance this cultural convention. When I learn
          of people who take up a form of yoga practice which plays
          to a preferrance and conditioned comfort with competition,
          both within (if I can do this, I can do anything) and without
          (if I can do this, I will beat out this other guy), I can't
          help but think that the practice is not doing the whole
          person a service. In a life full of yang activities, balance
          is found through the integration of yin activities.

          > Thanks, Nina...

          You're welcome, and thank you.