Journal Entry- Eve

  • eveneon
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2002
      Date: September 16, 2002
      Time: 8:45am
      Duration: 25 minutes
      Position: Sitting in chair, eyes open, hands resting on lap
      Technique: Body and breath awareness
      Variation: Chanted OM silently

      It was hard to concentrate today. Mind chatter was very high. I began
      with my eyes open, but let them close for a few minutes at a time
      throughout my session. When my eyelids would get heavy, I would close
      my eyes and meditate with them closed until I felt like I was
      drifting off to sleep, then I would open them again. I'm not sure
      why this is since I got close to 11 hours of sleep last night. I also
      began my session chanting OM silently on the out breath. At some
      point I stopped doing this. I didn't notice it when I'd stopped. I
      had some physical discomfort today in the form of back and shoulder
      pain.
      Although my concentration wasn't so great today, I did notice
      that I would react to certain thoughts. I would have a thought, and
      then the next thought would be a reaction to the previous one. I find
      this interesting because I didn't notice it as a reaction before. I
      ended my session unconsciously after 25 minutes.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2002
        eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        "... I began with my eyes open, but let them close for a few minutes
        at a time throughout my session. When my eyelids would get heavy, I
        would close my eyes and meditate with them closed until I felt like I
        was drifting off to sleep, then I would open them again. I'm not sure
        why this is"
        Hi Eve - As we go deeper and deeper into a meditative state, our
        brain waves slow to the exact same range that sleep occurs.
        Eventually, with experience and Grace, the meditator can stay alert
        as
        a Witness to this merging of the Alpha and Theta, and Theta and Delta
        levels of consciousness. Vastly creative experiences are the norm at
        this pointless point. Millions of people use the "eyes-half-open,
        half-closed" technique to stay awake (check out most of the statues
        of Buddha). You then are not as prone to distraction as having your
        eyes open causes you to be, and not as likely to fall asleep as when
        you meditate with your eyes closed. Once again, the main thing is that
        you are at one with your Witness. Your Witness is always there, in
        silence, undistracted, open to the infinite, witnessing. Not
        distractable and fall-asleepable like the ever changing mind. Your
        observations make it very apparant that you are growing in
        witnessing, and thus making "real" progress.
      • eveneon
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 24, 2002
          Date: September 24, 2002
          Time: 8:20am
          Duration: 40 minutes (open)
          Position: Sitting in chair, eyes opened, hands resting in lap
          Technique: Body and breath awareness
          Variation: Chanted OM silently

          My concentration was good today. I was taking very deep breaths and
          the sound of breathing was loud, which helped keep me anchored. Mind
          chatter was medium to high. I paid particular attention to the flow
          of thoughts. How one thought leads to the next. Sometimes it was a
          natural progression. Other times my senses would trigger the thought.
          Usually in the form of a re-action, which started a new chain of
          thought. Sometimes a particular thought would lead to a memory. And
          sometimes the memory would cause a re-action in the form of thought.
          Sometimes I would notice the re-action in the form of physical
          sensation, then I would re-act to the sensation with a thought. I was
          able to keep an awareness of this phenomena most of the time during
          my session. I noticed the point in my sessions where I tend to get
          really relaxed. I think this is what Tony was referring to, about
          making sure I keep my attention focused. I realized that this point
          of relaxation is usually when I start having thoughts that it is time
          to end my session. I noticed this, sharpened my attention, and kept
          meditating. My session was a little longer today. My body felt very
          relaxed. I had some minor back discomfort but it wasn't
          distracting.
          I was able to keep my eyes open the whole time with no problem.
          Feeling very relaxed and alert afterward.
        • Tony
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 26, 2002
            Hi Eve,

            Thanks for such a beautiful journal entry.

            It reminds me of what happens in my mind when I meditate. I have a good
            sense that you are making progress, especially as you are not letting
            expectations influence your session. Being open to whatever comes up is a
            very good mind state to be in.

            As you become more aware of your thoughts are you able to notice the brief
            interval between thoughts? Have you tried resting at this point so that the
            next thought takes a little longer to surface? There is an awesome peace and
            silence in that moment between thoughts. It is often so brief we hardly
            notice it. But try not to anticipate it or create it or you might fall into
            the expectations trap.

            ...Tony