Journal Entry - September 13 - tosime

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 99 , Sep 13, 2002
      Journal Entry - tosime
      Date: September 13
      Variation: None
      Time: 06:35 a.m.
      Duration: 76 minutes (open)
      Posture: Seated on chair
      Body: Eyes closed, tongue tip to pallet, hands on knees-index finger
      touching thumb
      Condition: Darkened room. Two candles. Incense. Essential Oil - (Bergamot
      + water on burner). Bell.
      Pres-session: Sip of water, full body stretch (3 times).
      Mind Chatter: Very High.
      Waves of bliss: None.
      Experience: Good session - after over 10 days absence

      Result: Interesting session. Just returned from a 10 day business trip
      during which I did not meditate. I had planned to but circumstances (such as
      changing hotels) were against me.

      First sessions after a long break are always interesting since I am less
      certain of what will happen. Today, mind chatter was very high but not
      obtrusive. It was more like watching a fast paced movie. I used a visual
      model of two circles. When I was thinking (mind chatter) I saw myself
      standing in the left circle. When I stopped thinking I stepped into the
      right circle. This helped me appreciate the transition between the circles
      i.e. between thinking and not thinking.

      Partly due to the time away from meditation, my mind was very active. It
      jumped from thought to thought, even when there was no apparent connection
      between the thoughts. This felt unusual as normally there would be some
      connection between the thoughts. The brief periods in the non-thinking mode
      allowed the waves of bliss to start but they did not climax. I had a good
      appreciation of how mind chatter has to fall below a certain threshold to
      allow the waves of bliss to develop. However, when a wave starts, there is
      no certainty that it will climax. I have no understanding why sometimes
      there is a climax and at other times there is no climax.

      Felt very relaxed after the session. However I was surprised that I did not
      miss meditation very much during the trip, possibly due to the hectic
      schedule and knowing I will resume meditation on my return.
    • Swami-G
      Message 99 of 99 , Nov 29, 2003
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > Journal Entry - tosime
        > Date: November 29 2003
        > Type: Meditation on inner sounds (with earplugs)
        > Time: 07:55 a.m.
        > Duration: 38 minutes (open)
        > Posture: Seated on chair
        > Body: Eyes closed,
        > - Hands on knees
        > Room Condition: Darkened room
        > - One candle
        > - Incense
        > - Essential Oil - (Gardenia + water on burner)
        > Pre-session:
        > - Full body stretch (3 times).
        > - Struck the bell 3 times before starting
        > Mind Chatter: Low
        > Waves of bliss: None
        > Experience: Good Session. First session after about a year
        without
        > meditating
        >
        > Result: Recall Session - Getting used to the motions.
        >
        > Surprising easy to return to meditation. My body felt as if it were
        on
        > automatic pilot - simply did most of the usual things I did with
        very
        > little thinking on my part.
        >
        > Good physical relaxation. Moved quite quickly through deeper
        and deeper
        > states of physical relaxation.
        >
        > Had the insight that my day to day thinking was like watching a
        slide
        > show. Each slide would stop if I dwelt on it by thinking about it.
        If I
        > did not, the next slide would appear. Most of my problems
        come when I
        > dwell too much on each passing thought. The progression of
        thoughts is a
        > natural process that I interfere with when I dwell too long on
        any
        > particular thought. I should try relaxing more and allowing the
        thought
        > process to take its natural course.

        Sg: nice to see the site come back to its intention.....