Re: Heart Sutra /HH the Dalai lama

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2003
      <mi_nok@y...> wrote:
> [...]
      > original principles, and then later the monastic principles, do not
      > include any distinction of gender. In fact, the monastic tradition
      > has ordination for both men and for women. But there is differences
      > in the position of fully ordained men and women. This is not a bias
      > based on the fundamental principles, but on the current monastic
      > tradition based on the culture which it is based in. Perhaps this
      > tradition should be looked at carefully now. <applause from the
      > audience>
      >
      > Some have asked, "Why don't you - the Dalai Lama - decree that women
      > be equal." But our tradition is one of consensus of the entire
      > monastic tradition and not decree.
      >

      > Heart Sutra (continued)
      > "Noble son" implies an inclination or motivation to pursuit of
      > attainment of enlightenment. This includes some qualities of the
      > individual like a modest desire, a sense of contentment, etc.
      >
      > The pollutants which obscure our vision of reality are separable.
      > And they are based on an erroneous view that there is a basis of
      > substance. It is this erroneous view that leads us to attach, cause
      > emotional affliction, and so on. Focusing on recognizing the natural
      > emptiness of the mind, practicing the natural nirvana, begins to
      > unravel the erroneous views. That leads to the true nirvanas,
      > including the final Buddha nirvana where the duality between samsara
      > and nirvana also drops away.
      >
      > "They should seek incessantly, repeatedly, that even the five
      > aggregates are devoid of substance".
      >
      > There is an emphasis on "even". So too that a person made up of the
      > five aggregates are devoid of substance. So too the "I" reading this
      > is devoid of substance, and all the elements of the "I" including
      > the mind are devoid of intrinsic existence. Even the emptiness
      > itself is devoid of intrinsic existence. So too are the Buddhas who
      > have attained nirvana devoid of substance.
      >
      > "So... have we arrived at the point where nothing exists?", His
      > Holiness chuckled. "Even I who is experiencing this hot sun am not
      > here? Yet we still feel that something is there, that can be felt,
      > that we can hold."
      >
      > Because of the difficulty of these concepts of emptiness and what we
      > experience, we see the diversity of thought even in the non-theistic
      > traditions. There are those that believe in soul or atma and even in
      > Buddhism those that believe in no-self in reference to phenomenon,
      > and so on.
      >

      > Closing Day 1
      > At this point the day was at an end, and His Holiness thanked us and
      > said we would continue tomorrow morning. And when he stood the
      > entire audience stood in respect, as we had done at lunch so he
      > could leave first out of respect. But instead of walking out with
      > his handlers, he walked to the front of the stage and raised his
      > hands together and he bowed to us.
      >

      > Karta
      >
      > ps: yearning for the loving, questioning, humorious witty Darshan of

      Dear Karta,
      Thank you very much for sharing this wisdom filled Darshan experience.
      To go to the trouble to do this is compassion and love in action. I
      hope you will be able to go again, and will once again grace us with
      your description of this wonder-full event.
    • messenger93225
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2003
        om Sadhu sadhu sadhu! , "satkartar7"<p>
        Thankyou for your notes for those of us who couldn't make any of
        the days of the event. <p>
        Your generousity is much appreciated.<p>
        Namaste! Metta!

        Messenger
      • satkartar7
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2003
          > om Sadhu sadhu sadhu! , "satkartar7"<p>
          > Thankyou for your notes for those of us who couldn't make any of
          > the days of the event. <p>
          > Your generousity is much appreciated.<p>
          > Namaste! Metta!

          Thank you so much

          Namaste Om!