Re: Comments on Vivekacudamani

  • manjusrilotus
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "maria
      luisa" <mlcanow@y...> wrote:
      > Somebody sent me this quotes taken from Vivekacudamani of
      Sri
      > Sankaracarya.
      >

      > (309) and so having rejected the notion of ego, etc.
      > and having rid oneself of attachment through realizing
      > the supreme Self you should sit quietly in the
      > Absolute with the experience of the joy of the Self,
      > being free from all wrong imagination on account of
      > (having realized) one's infinite Self .
      >
      > (310) but even after being obliterated together with
      > its source, this great ego will return to life and
      > assume hundreds of new forms if there appear even a
      > momentary suggestion of it in the mind, like a cloud
      > propelled by the wind in the rainy season.
      >
      > (424) when the sense-objects excite no more desire,
      > then is the culmination of dispassion. The extreme
      > perfection of knowledge is the absence of any
      > impulsion of the egoistic idea. and the limit of
      > self-withdawl is reached when the mind-functions that
      > have been merged, appear no more.
      >

      > ML: Yes, but we should be aware of the desire for perfection as
      > well, the ultimate desire to be let go.
      >
      > Naturally, all unfolds and develops under the guidance of the
      Self, being supported and sustained by the Self. God (Self) is
      everywhere all the time, ever-Present, first felt as "I", in its purity.
      Being aware of this purity, this first appearance as Light, should
      we be sustained in it never forgeting that this is what we are.
      The rest, all the world and manifestation is no other thing than
      the emmergence of the natural forces and energies that are
      born from Self, sustained in Self and finally return to Self, in an
      infinite movement called creation, evolvement, decay and
      destruction. No way of interfering with this. This is a law, the
      unfolding of existence.
      > To try to be identified either with creation or with the creator is
      > what generates unbalance. Balance (peace) is attained
      whenever emergence of manifest forces are just seen as the
      seer. One with Object, Subject and the relation between them.
      Identification among either side creates unbalance. Rejection of
      creation is not natural.
      > Creation is here, due to arisings in the mind, mind as the
      > instrument of the Self (to say so) for manifestation to be, for
      > Existence to unfold. Nothing wrong, nothing right with this. This
      > just IS.

      *** When the ongoing dialog is happening is there something in
      place that must continue to speak of it's condition or
      placement in unfolding ?
      Does IS need to be defined ?
      Can IS be defined in speech or does that simply divide it into
      either or from the point of referance of "I" and other ? .

      Does the eye need to comment on what the foot is doing or
      does it simply move in accord with nature and the momentary
      happening ?
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2003
        "manjusrilotus" <manjusrilotus@y...> wrote:
        snip
        > *** When the ongoing dialog is happening is there something in
        > place that must continue to speak of it's condition or
        > placement in unfolding ?
        > Does IS need to be defined ?
        > Can IS be defined in speech or does that simply divide it into
        > either or from the point of referance of "I" and other ? .
        >
        > Does the eye need to comment on what the foot is doing or
        > does it simply move in accord with nature and the momentary
        > happening ?

        This esoteric wisdom from Sri Swami Sivananda just arrived and seems
        to fit. Enjoy!

        SIVANANDA DAILY READING FOR 30 AUGUST
        DEVELOP YOUR PERCEPTION

        Organs deteriorate if you do not use them properly - just as hands
        and legs are atrophied by disuse and are developed by muscular
        exercise, etc. There is intimate connection between sight and memory,
        and between hearing and memory.

        He who has acute sight, keen perception, good powers of observation
        and hearing - he will have a good memory. In the internal astral body
        there are counterparts of these. They are called astral senses. A
        yogi hears through astral ears and sees through astral eyes. Thus he
        can hear sounds from distant lands, he can see objects in distant
        localities. This is called clairvoyance and clairaudience.

        Generally people are very careless. They have no wish to learn higher
        things and have a fund of knowledge. Keep a watch very close to the
        ear; hear the sound attentively. On the second day put the watch a
        little further away. Listen to the tick-tick sound. Every day
        increase the distance, training yourself to hear the sound. Then plug
        one ear with the index finger of your hand. Train the ears
        alternately.

        Here is another exercise. Close both ears through yonimudra; try to
        hear the anahata sounds that emanate from the heart lotus. You will
        hear ten varieties of sounds, such as: flute, mridanga, veena, conch,
        bells, thunder, humming of a bee, drum, etc. Allow the organ of
        hearing (ear) to shift from one sound to another and carefully
        differentiate the various sounds. Eventually fix the ear on one
        sound. Try the gross sounds first and then go to the subtle sounds.

        There is another exercise. Fix the ears on the pranava dhvani (Om
        sound) that emanates from a river, ocean or the wind. It will be
        heard like 'bhum' or a long 'Om'. Train your ears to hear this sound.
        Do this exercise at 4 a.m. or at 9 p.m. when the noise of the town
        has died down.

        Keep your ears keen. Differentiate the sounds of various kinds of
        birds, beasts, children, factories, motor cars, aeroplanes, cycles,
        shrieks, yells, snores, sobbing, crying, laughing, mocking, joking,
        etc.

        The mind may be there, the instrument may be perfect, but if the mind
        is not functioning perfectly, you cannot see or hear properly.
        Perception is possible only when the mind is linked with the external
        instrument (ear, eye, etc.).
      • satkartar7
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2003
          > This esoteric wisdom from Sri Swami Sivananda just arrived and seems
          > to fit. Enjoy!
          >
          > SIVANANDA DAILY READING FOR 30 AUGUST
          > DEVELOP YOUR PERCEPTION
          >

          > Organs deteriorate if you do not use them properly - just as hands
          > and legs are atrophied by disuse and are developed by muscular
          > exercise, etc. There is intimate connection between sight and memory,
          > and between hearing and memory.
          >
          > He who has acute sight, keen perception, good powers of observation
          > and hearing - he will have a good memory. In the internal astral body
          > there are counterparts of these. They are called astral senses. A
          > yogi hears through astral ears and sees through astral eyes. Thus he
          > can hear sounds from distant lands, he can see objects in distant
          > localities. This is called clairvoyance and clairaudience.
          >
          > Generally people are very careless. They have no wish to learn higher
          > things and have a fund of knowledge. Keep a watch very close to the
          > ear; hear the sound attentively. On the second day put the watch a
          > little further away. Listen to the tick-tick sound. Every day
          > increase the distance, training yourself to hear the sound. Then plug
          > one ear with the index finger of your hand. Train the ears
          > alternately.
          >
          > Here is another exercise. Close both ears through yonimudra; try to
          > hear the anahata sounds that emanate from the heart lotus.

          if the thumbs are pushed to much the
          throbing of the veins is mistaken for
          the inner sound; which are NOT the
          heartbeat