Comments on Vivekacudamani

  • maria luisa
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2003
      Somebody sent me this quotes taken from Vivekacudamani of Sri
      Sankaracarya.

      (309) and so having rejected the notion of ego, etc.
      and having rid oneself of attachment through realizing
      the supreme Self you should sit quietly in the
      Absolute with the experience of the joy of the Self,
      being free from all wrong imagination on account of
      (having realized) one's infinite Self .

      (310) but even after being obliterated together with
      its source, this great ego will return to life and
      assume hundreds of new forms if there appear even a
      momentary suggestion of it in the mind, like a cloud
      propelled by the wind in the rainy season.

      (424) when the sense-objects excite no more desire,
      then is the culmination of dispassion. The extreme
      perfection of knowledge is the absence of any
      impulsion of the egoistic idea. and the limit of
      self-withdawl is reached when the mind-functions that
      have been merged, appear no more.

      ML: Yes, but we should be aware of the desire for perfection as
      well, the ultimate desire to be let go.

      Naturally, all unfolds and develops under the guidance of the Self,
      being supported and sustained by the Self. God (Self) is everywhere
      all the time, ever-Present, first felt as "I", in its purity. Being
      aware of this purity, this first appearance as Light, should we be
      sustained in it never forgeting that this is what we are. The rest,
      all the world and manifestation is no other thing than the
      emmergence of the natural forces and energies that are born from
      Self, sustained in Self and finally return to Self, in an infinite
      movement called creation, evolvement, decay and destruction. No way
      of interfering with this. This is a law, the unfolding of existence.
      To try to be identified either with creation or with the creator is
      what generates unbalance. Balance (peace) is attained whenever
      emergence of manifest forces are just seen as the seer. One with
      Object, Subject and the relation between them. Identification among
      either side creates unbalance. Rejection of creation is not natural.
      Creation is here, due to arisings in the mind, mind as the
      instrument of the Self (to say so) for manifestation to be, for
      Existence to unfold. Nothing wrong, nothing right with this. This
      just IS.
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "maria luisa" <
        mlcanow@y...> wrote:
        > Somebody sent me this quotes taken from Vivekacudamani of Sri
        > Sankaracarya.
        >

        > (309) and so having rejected the notion of ego, etc.
        > and having rid oneself of attachment through realizing
        > the supreme Self you should sit quietly in the
        > Absolute with the experience of the joy of the Self,
        > being free from all wrong imagination on account of
        > (having realized) one's infinite Self .
        >
        > (310) but even after being obliterated together with
        > its source, this great ego will return to life and
        > assume hundreds of new forms if there appear even a
        > momentary suggestion of it in the mind, like a cloud
        > propelled by the wind in the rainy season.
        >
        > (424) when the sense-objects excite no more desire,
        > then is the culmination of dispassion. The extreme
        > perfection of knowledge is the absence of any
        > impulsion of the egoistic idea. and the limit of
        > self-withdawl is reached when the mind-functions that
        > have been merged, appear no more.
        >

        > ML: Yes, but we should be aware of the desire for perfection as
        > well, the ultimate desire to be let go.
        >
        > Naturally, all unfolds and develops under the guidance of the Self,
        > being supported and sustained by the Self. God (Self) is everywhere
        > all the time, ever-Present, first felt as "I", in its purity. Being
        > aware of this purity, this first appearance as Light, should we be
        > sustained in it never forgeting that this is what we are. The rest,
        > all the world and manifestation is no other thing than the
        > emmergence of the natural forces and energies that are born from
        > Self, sustained in Self and finally return to Self, in an infinite
        > movement called creation, evolvement, decay and destruction. No way
        > of interfering with this. This is a law, the unfolding of existence.
        > To try to be identified either with creation or with the creator is
        > what generates unbalance. Balance (peace) is attained whenever
        > emergence of manifest forces are just seen as the seer. One with
        > Object, Subject and the relation between them. Identification among
        > either side creates unbalance. Rejection of creation is not natural.
        > Creation is here, due to arisings in the mind, mind as the
        > instrument of the Self (to say so) for manifestation to be, for
        > Existence to unfold. Nothing wrong, nothing right with this. This
        > just IS.

        Thanks for this, ml. Nice, nice,nice.
        The perspective that sees "nothing wrong,
        nothing right...just IS (ness)" is so
        much richer than the mind or ego concepts
        of it and words can convey.

        One who knows speaks of this in a way
        that one who is feeling out of balance
        cannot comprehend fully. This is why
        it is so often spoken that it must be
        experienced to be known.

        This is the difficulty of verbal or
        written communication. We can only
        interpret based on our own (as Gene says
        so eloquently) "database". If we do
        not know or have forgotten our natural
        balance, we will only hear or read these
        words from our imbalance.

        Those who have been graced with this perspective
        of which you write, want to convey the peace of
        mind and love and joy that comes "naturally" with
        finding or restoring our inherent balance. And
        they may be seeds that open and grow in the
        silence of quiet mind or in more formal meditation...

        but for the one caught in the maya of imbalance,
        the words of "nothing wrong, nothing right..."
        sound like a resignation to a dull and boring
        awareness. The Truth is that "Balance" is
        exquisitely beautiful...beyond words.

        As are you.

        Love, Jeff
      • manjusrilotus
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2003
          luisa" <mlcanow@y...> wrote:
          > Somebody sent me this quotes taken from Vivekacudamani of
          Sri
          > Sankaracarya.
          >

          > (309) and so having rejected the notion of ego, etc.
          > and having rid oneself of attachment through realizing
          > the supreme Self you should sit quietly in the
          > Absolute with the experience of the joy of the Self,
          > being free from all wrong imagination on account of
          > (having realized) one's infinite Self .
          >
          > (310) but even after being obliterated together with
          > its source, this great ego will return to life and
          > assume hundreds of new forms if there appear even a
          > momentary suggestion of it in the mind, like a cloud
          > propelled by the wind in the rainy season.
          >
          > (424) when the sense-objects excite no more desire,
          > then is the culmination of dispassion. The extreme
          > perfection of knowledge is the absence of any
          > impulsion of the egoistic idea. and the limit of
          > self-withdawl is reached when the mind-functions that
          > have been merged, appear no more.
          >

          > ML: Yes, but we should be aware of the desire for perfection as
          > well, the ultimate desire to be let go.
          >
          > Naturally, all unfolds and develops under the guidance of the
          Self, being supported and sustained by the Self. God (Self) is
          everywhere all the time, ever-Present, first felt as "I", in its purity.
          Being aware of this purity, this first appearance as Light, should
          we be sustained in it never forgeting that this is what we are.
          The rest, all the world and manifestation is no other thing than
          the emmergence of the natural forces and energies that are
          born from Self, sustained in Self and finally return to Self, in an
          infinite movement called creation, evolvement, decay and
          destruction. No way of interfering with this. This is a law, the
          unfolding of existence.
          > To try to be identified either with creation or with the creator is
          > what generates unbalance. Balance (peace) is attained
          whenever emergence of manifest forces are just seen as the
          seer. One with Object, Subject and the relation between them.
          Identification among either side creates unbalance. Rejection of
          creation is not natural.
          > Creation is here, due to arisings in the mind, mind as the
          > instrument of the Self (to say so) for manifestation to be, for
          > Existence to unfold. Nothing wrong, nothing right with this. This
          > just IS.

          *** When the ongoing dialog is happening is there something in
          place that must continue to speak of it's condition or
          placement in unfolding ?
          Does IS need to be defined ?
          Can IS be defined in speech or does that simply divide it into
          either or from the point of referance of "I" and other ? .

          Does the eye need to comment on what the foot is doing or
          does it simply move in accord with nature and the momentary
          happening ?
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 30, 2003
            "manjusrilotus" <manjusrilotus@y...> wrote:
            snip
            > *** When the ongoing dialog is happening is there something in
            > place that must continue to speak of it's condition or
            > placement in unfolding ?
            > Does IS need to be defined ?
            > Can IS be defined in speech or does that simply divide it into
            > either or from the point of referance of "I" and other ? .
            >
            > Does the eye need to comment on what the foot is doing or
            > does it simply move in accord with nature and the momentary
            > happening ?

            This esoteric wisdom from Sri Swami Sivananda just arrived and seems
            to fit. Enjoy!

            SIVANANDA DAILY READING FOR 30 AUGUST
            DEVELOP YOUR PERCEPTION

            Organs deteriorate if you do not use them properly - just as hands
            and legs are atrophied by disuse and are developed by muscular
            exercise, etc. There is intimate connection between sight and memory,
            and between hearing and memory.

            He who has acute sight, keen perception, good powers of observation
            and hearing - he will have a good memory. In the internal astral body
            there are counterparts of these. They are called astral senses. A
            yogi hears through astral ears and sees through astral eyes. Thus he
            can hear sounds from distant lands, he can see objects in distant
            localities. This is called clairvoyance and clairaudience.

            Generally people are very careless. They have no wish to learn higher
            things and have a fund of knowledge. Keep a watch very close to the
            ear; hear the sound attentively. On the second day put the watch a
            little further away. Listen to the tick-tick sound. Every day
            increase the distance, training yourself to hear the sound. Then plug
            one ear with the index finger of your hand. Train the ears
            alternately.

            Here is another exercise. Close both ears through yonimudra; try to
            hear the anahata sounds that emanate from the heart lotus. You will
            hear ten varieties of sounds, such as: flute, mridanga, veena, conch,
            bells, thunder, humming of a bee, drum, etc. Allow the organ of
            hearing (ear) to shift from one sound to another and carefully
            differentiate the various sounds. Eventually fix the ear on one
            sound. Try the gross sounds first and then go to the subtle sounds.

            There is another exercise. Fix the ears on the pranava dhvani (Om
            sound) that emanates from a river, ocean or the wind. It will be
            heard like 'bhum' or a long 'Om'. Train your ears to hear this sound.
            Do this exercise at 4 a.m. or at 9 p.m. when the noise of the town
            has died down.

            Keep your ears keen. Differentiate the sounds of various kinds of
            birds, beasts, children, factories, motor cars, aeroplanes, cycles,
            shrieks, yells, snores, sobbing, crying, laughing, mocking, joking,
            etc.

            The mind may be there, the instrument may be perfect, but if the mind
            is not functioning perfectly, you cannot see or hear properly.
            Perception is possible only when the mind is linked with the external
            instrument (ear, eye, etc.).
          • satkartar7
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 30, 2003
              > This esoteric wisdom from Sri Swami Sivananda just arrived and seems
              > to fit. Enjoy!
              >
              > SIVANANDA DAILY READING FOR 30 AUGUST
              > DEVELOP YOUR PERCEPTION
              >

              > Organs deteriorate if you do not use them properly - just as hands
              > and legs are atrophied by disuse and are developed by muscular
              > exercise, etc. There is intimate connection between sight and memory,
              > and between hearing and memory.
              >
              > He who has acute sight, keen perception, good powers of observation
              > and hearing - he will have a good memory. In the internal astral body
              > there are counterparts of these. They are called astral senses. A
              > yogi hears through astral ears and sees through astral eyes. Thus he
              > can hear sounds from distant lands, he can see objects in distant
              > localities. This is called clairvoyance and clairaudience.
              >
              > Generally people are very careless. They have no wish to learn higher
              > things and have a fund of knowledge. Keep a watch very close to the
              > ear; hear the sound attentively. On the second day put the watch a
              > little further away. Listen to the tick-tick sound. Every day
              > increase the distance, training yourself to hear the sound. Then plug
              > one ear with the index finger of your hand. Train the ears
              > alternately.
              >
              > Here is another exercise. Close both ears through yonimudra; try to
              > hear the anahata sounds that emanate from the heart lotus.

              if the thumbs are pushed to much the
              throbing of the veins is mistaken for
              the inner sound; which are NOT the
              heartbeat