  • mlcanow
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2003
      Pratyaksha means Self, not see. Can there be knowing of existence
      without the existent Reality? Free from all thoughts, Reality
      remains in the Heart, which is the source of all thoughts. Then, how
      can we contemplate it? To Be, as it is to Be in the Heart, is its
      contemplation. For the ignorant, the "I" is the Self limited to the
      body; for the wise, the "I" is the Infinite Self.

      The Self does not admit the non-Self. Self means absolute existence.
      What exists in its absolute form can never become unexistent. What
      does not exist cannot become absolute existence. So, here is no
      duality. That which is its own anchor and base is absolutely real,
      while the projection, the other, which depends on the former, is
      relatively real. Ego makes distinctions. Humanity is one,
      independent from religion, region, cast, color and creed. In any
      path of life, whether it be in bussiness, social work, or even the
      spiritual path, ego does not want to release. Ego feels independent.
      It tries to decide if the Atman exists or not. It is more difficult
      to control mind than to control air. Mind is subtler than air.

      Observe how a professional tennist plays, or how a pianinst plays
      without effort. When they have perfectioned the technics of their
      professions, they aren't even aware that they are doing an effort.
      It becomes natural. The same will happen with the practice you adopt
      to be what you are. An effort is needed to arrive to the natural
      effortless state. When mind is absorbed in its source, it shall not
      be disturbed by any spiritual practice. If one can remain in
      silence, there is no need to destroy that silence by asking: Who am
      I? The effort to be what one is some times becomes counterproducent.
      Being is absolute existence. It is Pure Consciousness.

      Be what you are. With an alert mind, the emmergence of the ego can
      be detected immediately, in the same way that a radar detects
      anything that enters its space. You see the object, you are always
      there. What you have to do is loose the ego. You are been told to
      look for the source because you imagine yourselves apart from it.
      Meditation takes us into the permanent background of silence, which
      is free from thoughts. This space, free from thoughts, is the Self.
      Consciousness and existence are, then, simultaneous and identical.

      We are the undivisible and intelligent unity of "I", that can see
      but cannot be seen and knows but cannot be known, because it is
      always a subject, never an object. Since we cannot see nor know
      our "I", we confuse it with this body, which can be seen, listened
      and known. For the mind to be able to perceive its inherent state,
      it, by itself, has to remove all the obstacles by means of self-
      enquiry and self-control. Peace or liberation from pain and pleasure
      is a neutral state. Peace is to be; all we need to do is to be, not
      to think or to do. The obstacle between you and your true self is
      the erroneous identification with the body. The true "I" doesn't
      have the sense of being the doer. It is ego whom has that sense, and
      that is why it performs actions to enjoy its results and becomes
      imprissoned in the process. Egoic actions are bounders, non self-
      interested actions are liberating. Work done with attachment bounds,
      while work done with dettachment does not affect the one who does it.

      From Unity with Divinity,
      from the talks in satsang with Sri Ratan Lal