Re: [Meditation Society of America] Ego and Guru

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 27, 2003
      <editor@j...> wrote:
      > Since my words are paraphrased
      > out of context here by Jeff, I
      > figured it might be helpful to
      > link to a more extensive
      > exposition on the (seemingly
      > eternal) topic of "ego":
      >
      > <http://www.atman.net/realization/chapter2/2-11.html>

      Thanks, Bruce. Enjoyed the read.

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 27, 2003
        "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@s...> wrote:
        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
        > <editor@j...> wrote:
        > > Since my words are paraphrased
        > > out of context here by Jeff, I
        > > figured it might be helpful to
        > > link to a more extensive
        > > exposition on the (seemingly
        > > eternal) topic of "ego":
        > >
        > > <http://www.atman.net/realization/chapter2/2-11.html>
        > >

        > Thanks, Bruce. Enjoyed the read.
        >
        > Jeff

        And to save you guys a click, here's the text being referred to (one
        of many at Bruceji's brillant site http://come.to/realization ):

        A Pointing On "Ego"

        In is common in yoga and meditation circles to assume that it is
        possible to kill, subjugate, throttle, or otherwise control an entity
        called the "ego," also known as the "small self." In meditation, it
        has become clear that "ego" is not actually the ongoing, persistent
        entity depicted in the annals of psychiatry and psychology, but rather
        a movement or pattern of thought(s) -- a transient, passing phenomenon
        that creates the impression of continuity by virtue of deriving its
        pattern from a template stored in memory. Each occurrence of the
        pattern records itself back into memory and provides the template for
        the next occurrence, ad infinitum unto the physical death of the
        thinking brain.

        The ability to form an ego was originally a survival trait -- a sense
        of individuality with an accompanying nominal identity serves the
        survival needs of its host human organism. For example, one must
        manifest an ego to haggle with the fruit vendor, or to complain to the
        bank manager when the ATM has dispensed one too few $20 bills. This is
        the rightful role of the ego, a tool wielded in the same sense that
        one uses foot speed to escape a predator or manual dexterity to peel a
        fruit for eating -- it is a gift of human incarnation that helps us
        physically survive in the world.

        Ego becomes troublesome when it becomes taken with its own success and
        fears its own extinction. Having had notable success -- we receive
        much praise and reinforcement when we respond to our names and when we
        identify baby toys as "mine" -- ego comes to identify its existence
        with that of the host organism, it sees itself as the organism's
        essence rather than as a tool or servant of survival. It is an ego
        with this "sticky" quality or tendency that is seen as problematic in
        our yogas and meditations.

        The fact is, my friend, that there has never been a functional human
        being who does not manifest ego as required -- all the revered ones
        (other than perhaps a few oddities dependent on others for their
        survival requirements) show evidence of ego. I would posit that what
        distinguishes a truthful one from a "normal," ego-driven person is not
        any permanent absence of ego, but rather the falling away of ego when
        there is no rightful work for ego to do -- for a truthful one,
        meditation is not a practice or routine, but a spontaneous perceptual
        shift that occurs naturally as ego falls away in the absence of
        anything requiring ego! For the truthful one, ego dies in virtually
        every moment, thus making perceptual "room" for the truly sacred.
      • Bruce Morgen
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 27, 2003
          Since my words are paraphrased
          out of context here by Jeff, I
          figured it might be helpful to
          link to a more extensive
          exposition on the (seemingly
          eternal) topic of "ego":

          <http://www.atman.net/realization/chapter2/2-11.html>

          http://come.to/realization
          http://www.atman.net/realization
          http://www.users.uniserve.com/~samuel/brucemrg.htm
          http://www.users.uniserve.com/~samuel/brucsong.htm

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • mlcanow
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 27, 2003
            "For the truthful one, ego dies in virtually
            every moment, thus making perceptual "room" for the truly sacred."
            (Bruce Morgen)

            What a beauty!!!
            ml