[Meditation Society of America] Re: positions

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 11, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "cornelius"
      <d_agenda2000@y...> wrote:

      > I automatically associate the Savasana
      > (thanx for the term) position
      > with a desire to rest, not to meditate.

      For years I had marveled at people who would lie down in Savasana and
      immediately begin to snore. Somewhat pridefully, /grin/, I had never
      done that. One time recently, though, I was surprised by the
      beginning of a snore emitting from my throat, and was jolted awake.
      Hehe! Well, it's just another case of pride going before the fall and
      the hypnic jerk! (See link in previous reply to Onniko.)

      Savasana is restful because the nervous system has a chance to return
      to neutral. If I'm feeling particularly nervy, I'll practice Savasana
      once a day for 20-50 minutes. (Longer than that and I feel like a
      slug afterwards - just as bad as after taking a nap in the late
      afternoon.) It isn't sleep, though, and I think that's an important
      distinction.

      > My experience has been that
      > the time before falling to sleep --perhaps it's a
      > combination "entering and exiting the void" is dominated
      > by the Pull of my Body towards Sleep.
      >
      > About this notion of "entering the void". This experience is not
      > Mindless, as such, but a felt dissolution of the boundaries of
      > Mind. Whenever there is an altered state of consciousness this is
      > happening, and a conventional occurence is the dreaming state.
      >
      > If "sinking into the void" implies sinking into mindlessness (just
      > like dreamless sleep), the kernel of Meditation/dhyana/samadhi
      > is the Awareness of bodylessness-- expansiveness--timeliness----
      > that occurs before "sinking into Void" and thereby losing
      > such Awareness.

      Hmm!
    • Sarojini
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 11, 2003
        I have just begun receiving E-Mails from this site and I must admit that I am pretty computer illiterate! But one thing I have picked up today is that Nina appears to be a Yoga teacher (I could be wrong on that because, as I said, I'm not sure what I'm doing!)  Anyway, I just thought I would mention that I, too, am a Yoga teacher and have been for many years.  I run a Yoga Centre in Canada.  I, therefore, would enjoy conversing with others about such things as Meditation but really am unclear on how to do it.  Help!!!!

                        Namaste,

                            Joffa
        For years I had marveled at people who would lie down in Savasana and
        immediately begin to snore. Somewhat pridefully, /grin/, I had never
        done that. One time recently, though, I was surprised by the
        beginning of a snore emitting from my throat, and was jolted awake.
        Hehe! Well, it's just another case of pride going before the fall and
        the hypnic jerk! (See link in previous reply to Onniko.)

        Savasana is restful because the nervous system has a chance to return
        to neutral. If I'm feeling particularly nervy, I'll practice Savasana
        once a day for 20-50 minutes. (Longer than that and I feel like a
        slug afterwards - just as bad as after taking a nap in the late
        afternoon.) It isn't sleep, though, and I think that's an important
        distinction.

        > My experience has been that
        > the time before falling to sleep --perhaps it's a
        > combination "entering and exiting the void" is dominated
        > by the Pull of my Body towards Sleep.
        >
        > About this notion of "entering the void". This experience is not
        > Mindless, as such, but a felt dissolution of the boundaries of
        > Mind. Whenever there is an altered state of consciousness this is
        > happening, and a conventional occurence is the dreaming state.
        >
        > If "sinking into the void" implies sinking into mindlessness (just
        > like dreamless sleep), the kernel of Meditation/dhyana/samadhi
        > is the Awareness of bodylessness-- expansiveness--timeliness----
        > that occurs before "sinking into Void" and thereby losing
        > such Awareness.

        Hmm!

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 11, 2003
          "Sarojini" <Yoga@w...> wrote:
          > I have just begun receiving E-Mails from this site and I must admit
          that I am pretty computer illiterate! But one thing I have picked up
          today is that Nina appears to be a Yoga teacher (I could be wrong on
          that because, as I said, I'm not sure what I'm doing!) Anyway, I just
          thought I would mention that I, too, am a Yoga teacher and have been
          for many years. I run a Yoga Centre in Canada. I, therefore, would
          enjoy conversing with others about such things as Meditation but
          really am unclear on how to do it. Help!!!!

          > Namaste,
          >

          > Joffa

          Dear Joffa,
          Welcome. The whole point of this group is to
          provide a place where things dealing with
          meditation can be discussed. We have many varities
          of meditators who post here, and welcome your input.
          Personally, having been married to a Hatha Yoga
          teacher for the last 25 years, I have a great respect
          for this particular source of meditative wisdom, and
          hope you will be generous in sharing your experiences.
          Similarly, if you feel the urge to do so, please feel
          free to post any questions you have, or answers to
          others queries.
          As far as the lack of compu-knowledge...you're OK, as
          you have demonstrated by being able to post this
          message. If you have any questions about the posting
          process itself, we also have several compu-experts
          here who I'm sure will be helpful when that is needed.
          In any event, I hope you will enjoy and benefit from
          this group, and I'm glad you're here.
          Peace and blessings,
          Bob Rose, Moderator
          Meditation Society of America Yahoo Group
        • satkartar7
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 12, 2003
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Sarojini" <Yoga@w...> wrote:
            > I have just begun receiving E-Mails from this site and I must admit that I am pretty computer illiterate! But one thing I have picked up today is that Nina appears to be a Yoga teacher (I could be wrong on that because, as I said, I'm not sure what I'm doing!) Anyway, I just thought I would mention that I, too, am a Yoga teacher and have been for many years. I run a Yoga Centre in Canada. I, therefore, would enjoy conversing with others about such things as Meditation but really am unclear on how to do it.

            Namaste Joffa, an ancient, natural
            and primal meditation style is the
            mediation with the Om

            http://santmat-meditation.net/santmat/shabd-1.html