Re: positions

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "cornelius"
      <d_agenda2000@y...> wrote:
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Kay
      Ghiglia"
      > <mkghiglia@h...> wrote:
      > >

      > Gee Mary, it sounds to me that your "sinking into the void"
      indicates
      > the effectiveness of the meditation technique. If the horizon
      > position makes you susceptible to sleepiness, why continue with it?

      Hi, Cornelius and Mary,

      Mary, correct me if I am mistaken, but I did not hear you saying you
      became susceptible to sleepiness. I heard you say that you "sink into
      the void". Is it sleep? Do you feel the familiar 'been asleep'
      feelings when your body jerks back?

      Someone once told me that I shouldn't meditate lying down. Something
      about the necessity of vertical alignment of the spine in gravity.
      However, I find that the actual action of moving into mindful
      Savasana after my yoga practice is exactly as most people describe
      their meditation practice. I typically begin by aligning the body
      along the center line, removing distractions (such as unequal
      pressures or pulls on the skin), inhaling to locate tension, exhaling
      to release it, and down I go. This practice often moves me into 'the
      void' just as you describe it, complete with the jerk back. The first
      time it happened, my mind came back before my body, and it was quite
      a shock, as I couldn't find my body anywhere! LOL! I have come to
      equate the jerk back into the body with something like a 'rough
      landing', hehe, but no, it isn't sleeping. Personally, I haven't
      noticed any deleterious effects of this position for "meditation".
      What are your thoughts on it?

      Nina