Re: positions

  • satkartar7
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Kay Ghiglia" <mkghiglia@h...> wrote:

      the advice to sit up during
      meditation is to avoid falling asleep

      even then when 'falling asleep' called
      to sleepitate during meditation has
      some benefit

      did you try to use a lots of pillows?
    • cornelius
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Kay Ghiglia"
        <mkghiglia@h...> wrote:

        Gee Mary, it sounds to me that your "sinking into the void" indicates
        the effectiveness of the meditation technique. If the horizon
        position makes you susceptible to sleepiness, why continue with it?
      • mozartkitty
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2003
          Any one out there with a meditation miracle, please let me know.
          My life is crazy right now. I am in El Paso, this is where I grew up,
          but i had been living in Nebraska for the past 16 years. Then my
          little brothers baby died of SIDS, and my moms health is not the
          best anymore, and to top it all off the man I detested growing up(my
          step-dad) fell in a drunken state and got irreversable brain damage.
          Well to make a long story short it does not take a rocket scientist
          to realize I am now needed here at home. My brother of course is in
          mourning, and my mom is in a wheelchair and has Hepatitis A,B,C, we
          believe it was from the transfusions from her accidents, so I am the
          one who is left to help everyone. This is why I was looking up
          meditation on the internet. I really think learning meditation will
          help me have a healthier state of mind, in turn allowing me to deal
          with all the issues at hand better. Any responses would be greatly
          appreciated. Thanks Kitty
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2003
            mozartkitty <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Any one out there with a meditation miracle, please let me know.
            > My life is crazy right now. I am in El Paso, this is where I grew up,
            > but i had been living in Nebraska for the past 16 years. Then my
            > little brothers baby died of SIDS, and my moms health is not the
            > best anymore, and to top it all off the man I detested growing up(my
            > step-dad) fell in a drunken state and got irreversable brain damage.
            > Well to make a long story short it does not take a rocket scientist
            > to realize I am now needed here at home. My brother of course is in
            > mourning, and my mom is in a wheelchair and has Hepatitis A,B,C, we
            > believe it was from the transfusions from her accidents, so I am the
            > one who is left to help everyone. This is why I was looking up
            > meditation on the internet. I really think learning meditation will
            > help me have a healthier state of mind, in turn allowing me to deal
            > with all the issues at hand better. Any responses would be greatly
            > appreciated. Thanks Kitty

            Dear Kitty,
            Well, you have come to meditation at the exact right time. There is no
            better way to deal with stress, and I'm sure it will benefit you
            greatly. I don't know if you found this group from our web site,
            Meditation Station, but in any event, I suggest that you check it out.
            http://www.meditationsociety.com
            You will find a very good beginners section, particularly the What is
            Meditation article. This will give you a good understanding of the
            basic "game plan" for meditation. Then I suggest you go through the
            Archives, where you will find dozens of "how-to" meditation
            techniques. If the title of one seems to get your attention, check it
            out and actually do it. The best way to learn about meditation is by
            meditating. I also suggest seeing if there are any caregivers support
            groups in your area. The ability to share your experiences with others
            is healing by itself, and the advise you get can be theraputic as
            well. Similarly, that is what this group is all about. If you have any
            questions or just want to share, you will find many wise and
            compassionate members on this group. I wish you well.
          • Nina
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10, 2003
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "cornelius"
              <d_agenda2000@y...> wrote:
              > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Kay
              Ghiglia"
              > <mkghiglia@h...> wrote:
              > >

              > Gee Mary, it sounds to me that your "sinking into the void"
              indicates
              > the effectiveness of the meditation technique. If the horizon
              > position makes you susceptible to sleepiness, why continue with it?

              Hi, Cornelius and Mary,

              Mary, correct me if I am mistaken, but I did not hear you saying you
              became susceptible to sleepiness. I heard you say that you "sink into
              the void". Is it sleep? Do you feel the familiar 'been asleep'
              feelings when your body jerks back?

              Someone once told me that I shouldn't meditate lying down. Something
              about the necessity of vertical alignment of the spine in gravity.
              However, I find that the actual action of moving into mindful
              Savasana after my yoga practice is exactly as most people describe
              their meditation practice. I typically begin by aligning the body
              along the center line, removing distractions (such as unequal
              pressures or pulls on the skin), inhaling to locate tension, exhaling
              to release it, and down I go. This practice often moves me into 'the
              void' just as you describe it, complete with the jerk back. The first
              time it happened, my mind came back before my body, and it was quite
              a shock, as I couldn't find my body anywhere! LOL! I have come to
              equate the jerk back into the body with something like a 'rough
              landing', hehe, but no, it isn't sleeping. Personally, I haven't
              noticed any deleterious effects of this position for "meditation".
              What are your thoughts on it?

              Nina